Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills Offseason Thread: Bills Apparently Think Signing Incognito a Good Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
He's under contract to the Bills. They don't have to allow him to interview anywhere if they don't want to, coordinator, HC, beer vendor, etc.

This isn't true. The team cannot deny him an interview for a Head Coaching job.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
This isn't true. The team cannot deny him an interview for a Head Coaching job.

I already acknowledged my mistake there. They have to allow it from the day their season is over until March 1st. Once March hits, teams are not longer required to give permission.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Giants D was pretty bad.

I don't want Mike Shanahan but I fear that will end up being it.

I wonder if Rex keeps Schwartz? I doubt it but I guess you never know. But Rex could have a better D so...

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
IF our O-line gets fixed and IF Spiller re-signs or we pick up another RB, Rex Ryan would not be bad thing for this team. I've lived down in NYC since he started coaching the Jets and all of the early success he had can be attributed to what the Bills are SO close to having: an absolute BEAST of a defense, a mediocre-at-best QB and a good running game (respectively: check, check, fix O-line). He was not one of the majority parties responsible for the circus the Jets currently are, you can thank Woody Johnson and John Idzik for that. But because he is loud, opinionated and has a personality, the ****ing idiots that comprise the NYC media were constantly up his ass. And believe me when I tell you, Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason are god damn lightweights compared to the stupidity he often had to deal with here.

Now, I hate the man with a fiery passion solely because he IS loud and obnoxious and he coached the Jets for 6 years. But with a competent OC and a proper O-line, he would be at the top of my list as far as people-I-know-things-about (so ahead of the Shanahans, Schwartz [definitely still want him as DC], Hue Jackson, Josh McDaniels, Teryl Austin [you cannot seriously think giving the current Detroit DC an HC position over the former Detroit HC will work out...] and Frank Reich). Can't speak for the rest of the options as I don't really know enough to form my own judgment vs. Ryan.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Pass on re-signing Spiller unless he takes a cheap deal which he won't. He's turning 28 in August. He has 2 maybe 3 years left in the tank anyway. Would much rather draft a RB in the 4th or 5th who is only 21 or 22. So many good RBs are late round picks anyway. (Or undrafted)

This team is so close to being a division winner. Add Cutler, draft a starting RB, Kiko comes back healthy, Kouandjio actually is active on game day and is a starter/#6 in the rotation and we add another WR and CB/S with our first two picks and we are good. (Head coach not withstanding )

I mean we are totally set on the DL and at Linebacker. Not a single need there though it would be great if we could keep Spikes and let Rivers go. Searcy may leave but if he stays that would be key.

I really think this team is playoff bound if we get a QB as good or better then Orton. And honestly EJ may be that guy if he progresses like he should.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Pass on re-signing Spiller unless he takes a cheap deal which he won't. He's turning 28 in August. He has 2 maybe 3 years left in the tank anyway. Would much rather draft a RB in the 4th or 5th who is only 21 or 22. So many good RBs are late round picks anyway. (Or undrafted)

This team is so close to being a division winner. Add Cutler, draft a starting RB, Kiko comes back healthy, Kouandjio actually is active on game day and is a starter/#6 in the rotation and we add another WR and CB/S with our first two picks and we are good. (Head coach not withstanding )

I mean we are totally set on the DL and at Linebacker. Not a single need there though it would be great if we could keep Spikes and let Rivers go. Searcy may leave but if he stays that would be key.

I really think this team is playoff bound if we get a QB as good or better then Orton. And honestly EJ may be that guy if he progresses like he should.

Didn't realize he's that old. Time for a change.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
The three that haven't are Luck, Newton, and Romo

@AdamSchefter

Five of Div Playoffs 8 QBs - Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning - have won SB, most for Div playoffs ever

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

This is the NFL. Who care if his deal is cheap or not.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm just amazed that Bill Cowher won't even consider accepting 4-5x the money he's making with CBS to come to Buffalo and take the coaching job. You have to believe Terry would be absolutely thrilled to make him the highest paid coach in the NFL.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
This is the NFL. Who care if his deal is cheap or not.

What does this even mean ?? Are you saying no matter how cheap he would re-sign for that he isn't worth it? Or that it doesn't matter how much he gets because this is the NFL? Honestly trying to understand the point. Spiller has had one great season and a real good half of one. Both those came more then 2 seasons ago. If he wants to accept a deal like the one MJD or CJ0K signed this past off season then I guess sure re-sign him. But he isn't worth the cap space to give him more then 3 mil a year for more then a year or two. I'd offer 2/7 mil at the most, take it or leave it. Spiller is nearly done. Another wasted stupid pick by OBD. Waste a top 10 pick on an oft injured non workhorse back and we trade our elite top 4 RB for Chris Hairston :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fun fact: The RB we traded in Marshawn Lynch is only one year older then CJ Spiller even though he was drafted 3 seasons prior.

Since 2011 Marshawn Lynch has scored at least 12 total TDS a season and got over 1400 total yards each season. Since 2011 Lynch has earned 56 total TDS and over 6,400 total yards. In that same time frame CJ Spiller has gotten 3,900 yards and 17 total TDS. Ouch. That's typical Bills for ya!! :laugh: trade an elite superstar top 4 RB so we can draft a specialty back. But oh yeah I forgot Marshawn was a "punk" and wasn't a blue collar lunch pail "Buffalo" type player. You can have him Seattle they can deal with that "headache"..... oops !!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm just amazed that Bill Cowher won't even consider accepting 4-5x the money he's making with CBS to come to Buffalo and take the coaching job. You have to believe Terry would be absolutely thrilled to make him the highest paid coach in the NFL.

Perhaps the free time to be a real dad is worth more than money to Cowher...

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
What does this even mean ?? Are you saying no matter how cheap he would re-sign for that he isn't worth it? Or that it doesn't matter how much he gets because this is the NFL? Honestly trying to understand the point. Spiller has had one great season and a real good half of one. Both those came more then 2 seasons ago. If he wants to accept a deal like the one MJD or CJ0K signed this past off season then I guess sure re-sign him. But he isn't worth the cap space to give him more then 3 mil a year for more then a year or two. I'd offer 2/7 mil at the most, take it or leave it. Spiller is nearly done. Another wasted stupid pick by OBD. Waste a top 10 pick on an oft injured non workhorse back and we trade our elite top 4 RB for Chris Hairston :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fun fact: The RB we traded in Marshawn Lynch is only one year older then CJ Spiller even though he was drafted 3 seasons prior.

Since 2011 Marshawn Lynch has scored at least 12 total TDS a season and got over 1400 total yards each season. Since 2011 Lynch has earned 56 total TDS and over 6,400 total yards. In that same time frame CJ Spiller has gotten 3,900 yards and 17 total TDS. Ouch. That's typical Bills for ya!! :laugh: trade an elite superstar top 4 RB so we can draft a specialty back. But oh yeah I forgot Marshawn was a "punk" and wasn't a blue collar lunch pail "Buffalo" type player. You can have him Seattle they can deal with that "headache"..... oops !!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
You have to understand that some players don't do well in certain situations or systems. I mean, that's definitely a thing and I'm willing to bet a paycheck of Marshawn's that that was his issue. Sucks, obviously, but there's not a chance in hell Marshawn sees the success he's had if he stays in Buffalo the past 4 years.

Sucks also that CJ got stuck with two coaches who could never quite figure out how to use him, although he himself has shown little consistency. It was as if for one and a half seasons a cloud lifted in his head and he remembered how to turn his shoulders and at the same time, Chan realized that running him straight between the tackles was stupid. Then he forgot how to turn his shoulders and Marrone and Hackett decided his strength was up the middle. Go figure.

Bottom line: Spiller is disappointing now but Lynch would not have been much better (probably).

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
You have to understand that some players don't do well in certain situations or systems. I mean, that's definitely a thing and I'm willing to bet a paycheck of Marshawn's that that was his issue. Sucks, obviously, but there's not a chance in hell Marshawn sees the success he's had if he stays in Buffalo the past 4 years.

Sucks also that CJ got stuck with two coaches who could never quite figure out how to use him, although he himself has shown little consistency. It was as if for one and a half seasons a cloud lifted in his head and he remembered how to turn his shoulders and at the same time, Chan realized that running him straight between the tackles was stupid. Then he forgot how to turn his shoulders and Marrone and Hackett decided his strength was up the middle. Go figure.

Bottom line: Spiller is disappointing now but Lynch would not have been much better (probably).

I disagree, Lynchs first two seasons were great. Over 1000 yards in his first two years with a decent amount of TDS. Once all that off the field problems hit is when the coaches took him out of their plans and he floundered. I think Lynch would be a perennial 1200 yard 10 TD back here. Lynch as the workhorse with Freddy the pass catching blocking RB and being able to use the #9 in 2010 elsewhere would have done wonders for us.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Money isn't everything for some people. Sure he'd make a lot more money coaching here, but he'd also have a ton more stress and a lot less free time.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
I actually hadn't seen that but it won't be that difficult to correct them, would you care to find it?

Der Jaeger said:
I started looking at Polian's draft record alone starting in 1986. I stopped in 1991 with the Bills and 2004 with the Colts. The post would be too long. He definitely built out the Bills and the Colts.

A good draft is coming away with 25% of your drafted players playing 3 1/2 seasons. He beat that in almost every season, especially after the draft went to 7 rounds. I'll lay it out if you'd like.

Pollan happened into as much as any other GM. His career was no gimmick. Without him, the Bills have no RBs, no OTs, no defensive line, and no depth on defense.

Saying that Polian "lucked" in to players is crazy. By that argument I could just say he was unlucky that some choices didn't pan out...

You're right about the 2000s team revolving too much around Peyton, that was easy to see after he went down. I fail to see how that exposes his entire career as a fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad