Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills: 2021 off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
2020 Buffalo Bills Part 9

@Husko - Gotcha

I think the need for an enhanced pass catching RB is kind of nullified by Allen's natural tendancy to push the ball further downfield. I can remember many times that he bypassed his (very open) underneath outlets and held onto the ball longer in the hopes of getting a bigger chunk play. Maybe he matures and starts settling for those easy outlets, but asking him to do so takes away some of those highlight plays that make him special.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to an upgrade at rb, it's just not high priority to me.

My offseason priority is:
Offense
1) RT (and maybe Guard)
2) TE

Defense
1) LB
2) CB
3) S

The D-line is a real condundrum to me, I like the most of the players in the rotation and against weaker O-lines they feasted, but in our losses they were a real liability. I wonder if they make a move to push the group from good -> very good.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I know the cap doesn't work and he's probably going to Pittsburgh but I'd move Heaven and Earth to convince Watt that Buffalo needs him and we can go all the way with him. Figure out the cap after.

Where do you play him though?

He's not a good scheme fit. Its a case of seeing big name, wanting big name.

I genuinely think he wouldn't be worth the money it would cost the Bills to get him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I genuinely think he wouldn't be worth the money it would cost the Bills to get him.

It will be interesting to see what he gets given his age, injury history, and less than eye-popping statline in 2020.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It will be interesting to see what he gets given his age, injury history, and less than eye-popping statline in 2020.

Someone will be willing to overpay.

He will be able to pick which team he plays for if the money isn't important. Steelers might be a good shout.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I know the cap doesn't work and he's probably going to Pittsburgh but I'd move Heaven and Earth to convince Watt that Buffalo needs him and we can go all the way with him. Figure out the cap after.
Meh. Pass. He's 31, and hasn't put up double digit sacks in more than two seasons, so unless he's taking a cheap deal, then let someone else overpay and pray he finds his game again.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I gotta think Watt is on a one way ticket to Pittsburgh....unless he just wants to win.

That's everyone's initial take, but I'm not sure how the Steelers can swing it. Pouncey retired, they're $20M over the cap, and Connor and Juju are both free agents. They have a lot of work to do on their roster and no money to make it happen.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
With the Pounceys retiring, and the possibility Ben does, how likely is Pittsburgh now that they might be a black hole on offense?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Cost is really the one variable that would make or break getting Watt here as far I'm concerned. He would fit just fine in our defense and would be a great leader in that locker room. If the price and term is reasonable go get him. At worst he's an upgrade on Addison that draws double teams and makes the players around him better.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Cost is really the one variable that would make or break getting Watt here as far I'm concerned. He would fit just fine in our defense and would be a great leader in that locker room. If the price and term is reasonable go get him. At worst he's an upgrade on Addison that draws double teams and makes the players around him better.

No. He's not a scheme fit. Bills scheme best utilises smaller/quicker DEs.

His best position is probably 3tech DT on the Bills but i see him as a square peg.

I get the leadership arguement but its not like the room is lacking leadership currently.

Hard pass.

Reactions: Waterfowlist

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I'll laugh if he goes to Pit. The rumors before his release were that he wanted to go to a winner. Pitt is not that.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I gotta think Watt is on a one way ticket to Pittsburgh....unless he just wants to win.

Why Pittsburgh? He made it clear he only has a few years left to play and doesn't want to go to a team in a rebuild. Pittsburgh may have been 11-0 at last year, but they played like a team over the hill down the stretch.

JJ Watt would be huge for the pass rush if the Bills can swing a short-term deal (after they create cap space by making needed cuts and they re-sign key starters first)

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
No. He's not a scheme fit. Bills scheme best utilises smaller/quicker DEs.

His best position is probably 3tech DT on the Bills but i see him as a square peg.

I get the leadership arguement but its not like the room is lacking leadership currently.

Hard pass.
They just drafted a guy at DE that's 6'6", 280lbs and ran a 5.04 40. That's not smaller/quicker.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Why Pittsburgh? He made it clear he only has a few years left to play and doesn't want to go to a team in a rebuild. Pittsburgh may have been 11-0 at last year, but they played like a team over the hill down the stretch.

JJ Watt would be huge for the pass rush if the Bills can swing a short-term deal (after they create cap space by making needed cuts and they re-sign key starters first)
His two younger brothers play there. Tomlin is a solid coach and leader, in the Noll/Cowher tradition, and players want to go there. It's a tough division, but it's not a dice roll in terms of PIT having the will / means to retool, despite the cap. They're too good of a franchise to be dismissed.

Reactions: explore

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Why is Watt not a scheme fit?

Regardless, something is going to happen with the Dline. We're spending far too much money for far too little production. Notable cap numbers next season:

-Addison: 10 million
-Hughes: 9.5 million
-Jefferson: 8 million
-Butler: 8 million
-Star: 7.5 million
-Oliver: 5 million

Addison, Butler, and Jefferson all have zero guaranteed salary. I wonder if they cut all three and try another completely redo on the Dline. Hughes as well, but he seems less likely to get cut (maybe restructured?)

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
And i hated that pick passionately.
I did as well, but it shows you that at the very least Beane thought a larger slower DE would fit this defense. Watt might be declining, but he's still a good DE that brings leadership in spades and when he's on the field he A) produces like a top DE in the league B) commands double teams and opens things up for his teammates (I think this could do wonders for a player like Oliver). The status quo shouldnt be good enough going into next season. Improve the pass rush and cut dead weight (Jefferson, Addison, Butler,etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad