Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The playcalling is not the reason John Brown is where he is. It is his underutilized talent throughout his career that he possesses is why he is a 1000+ yard receiver.

Brown has a previous 1000+ yard season under his belt and that was as a #2 WR behind Larry Fitz. I just am not going to give Daboll praises he has not deserved. This is the 10th lowest scoring offense in the league. Do not forget we have an elite defense that gives the offense optimal field position. We should not be struggling to score 20 points a game. Not when we have a top 3 defense. Not when we have a RB averaging over 5 yards a pop. And a QB capable of tucking it and running for large gains.

Daboll is the weakest link on this team and I really hope OC is a position the team tries to upgrade. I just don't see how the guy responsible for the 23rd ranked scoring offense can be considered "quite good". This team has scored more then 21 points in a game FIVE times. Five. That is not going to cut it. Compared to the other playoff teams in the AFC.... >21 points =

Baltimore 14 out of 15
New England 10 out of 15
Kansas City 14 out of 15
Houston 11 out of 15
Buffalo 5 out of 15
Tennesse 9 out of 15
Pittsburgh 7 out of 15

Even the lowly Steelers offense, the one that has been QBed by Duck ****ing Hodges and Mason Red Nose Rudolph that has missed James Conner and JuJu for several games has more games with more then 21 points then the Bills. We literally have averaged more then 3 Tds worth of points in a game 1 out of every 3 games. So unless our D holds our opponents to 20 or under we most likely lose.

Sorry but no, Daboll is not a good offensive coordinator. He has been garbage every time he has ran an offense.

Brian Daboll

Cleveland OC 2009-2010

2009 - 32 out of 32 in YPG (LAST). 29TH out of 32 in PPG (3rd last)
2010 - 29th out of 32 in YPG (3rd last), 32 out of 32 in PPG (DFL)

Miami 2011

2011- 22nd in YPG, 20th in PPG

Kansas City 2012

2012- 24th in YPG, 32nd in PPG (DFL)

Buffalo 2018-2019

2018- 30th in YPG, 30th in PPG
2019- 24th in YPG, 23rd in PPG

So Brian Daboll has ran offenses in 6 different seasons. Lets see...

3 out of 6 seasons his offenses were bottom 3 in YPG including 1 coming in dead last. 4 out of 6 seasons his offenses have been bottom 4 in PPG including 2 seasons dead last.

It is crazy that I have to go in depth on why this OC who has NEVER coached an offense that ever finished better then 22nd in YPG or 20th in PPG is ****ing garbage. No daboll is not and never has been good.

When your scoring offenses have finished 29,32,20,32,30 and 23 you are simply garbage. 4 out of 6 seasons with a bottom 4 scoring offense. That is ****ing atrocious. Daboll needs to go. He holds this team back period. It is really puzzling that an OC who has finished bottom 12 every single year including bottom 10 5 out of 6 years and bottom 4 4 out of 6 years even has an OC job.

Rick Dennisons offenses put Dabolls to shame and he was not that impressive when he was here. In Dennisons lone season here we were 22nd in PPG. That is better then 5 out of 6 years Daboll has. Oh and Dennison finished 19th or better 6 times including 3 top 10 offenses. Dennison had 1 bad year where he was 31st.10 of 11 seasons he was 22nd or better. Daboll finished better then 22nd 1 out of 6. Daboll sucks period.
Part of the offense's struggles coincides with Allen's growing pains, but that doesn't mean Daboll is without his flaws. We lost the Browns game in most part due to his horrendous game calling.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
So we've gone in to why we think Daboll is bad, so then what would be someone's defense of him? It can't just be "bad players". I'm not sure I can think of a single good thing to say about him. Maybe "stopped trying to make Gore a thing after 5 tries"?

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I think Daboll has done a pretty commendable job given the island of misfit toys we have on offense.

Nonsense. “Island of misfit toys” is an apt descriptor for the 2018 offense. This year’s offense is full of legit NFL talent and not waiver wire fodder. It is the definition of mediocre. What it lacks is elite game breaking talent. It had that in 2017 with shady and arguably incognito. That will probably be a priority this offseason. WR, OL, and DL could all use a talent upgrade.

Daboll is ok. Not great, but ok. He will probably be around another year or two.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
So we've gone in to why we think Daboll is bad, so then what would be someone's defense of him? It can't just be "bad players". I'm not sure I can think of a single good thing to say about him. Maybe "stopped trying to make Gore a thing after 5 tries"?

The Bills brought in 9 new starters on offense with one of the returning starters being a QB who hadn't played a full season. They have a new OL coach, new assistant OL coach, new QB coach, and new WR coach. It takes a helluva a lot of sleepless nights to coordinate all those new parts.

Daboll was charged with developing Allen following the model the Panthers used with Cam Newton. Maybe Allen should be developed differently, but that was McDermott's call. I think they did get Allen into a system where they could manage the game and keep his play controlled.
Quick Hits: Sean McDermott sheds light on new coaching staff additions

Most coaches would have stapled Singletary's butt to the bench after his last fumble. Daboll deserves credit for sticking with him.
I don't like Daboll, but he didn't do a bad job considering all the challenges.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Looking ahead for the Bills.... free agency.

Offensive line: re-sign Spain if it doesn't break the bank. I'd still like to slide Ford to guard, so if Spain is too expensive, move Ford inside. Jack Conklin would be an anchor at RT if Beane brought him in.

Wide receiver: contrary to a lot of folks opinions, I don't think Beane needs to go get a #1 receiver. Younger QBs tend to do well without them anyway, able to just throw to whoever is open without worrying about feeding the ball to a #1 receiver. Robby Anderson as the #3 receiver would be good. He's a vertical receiver who could give the Bills the fastest outside duo in the league. That'd open a lot up inside. I also think Knox will improve into a top TE, and Duke Williams will fill the role of big receiver.

Defensive end/pass rusher: I'd re-sign Lawson, as he's turned into a good run down end. Adding a passing down end like Vic Beasley or Ricky Fowler could work.

Defensive tackle: I'd try to re-sign Phillips to a short term deal. If he elects to sign elsewhere, I'd look at a NT type as his replacement. Michael Pierce from Batlimore could be a fit.

Draft: go BPA and get value picks.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Looking ahead for the Bills.... free agency.

Offensive line: re-sign Spain if it doesn't break the bank. I'd still like to slide Ford to guard, so if Spain is too expensive, move Ford inside. Jack Conklin would be an anchor at RT if Beane brought him in.

Wide receiver: contrary to a lot of folks opinions, I don't think Beane needs to go get a #1 receiver. Younger QBs tend to do well without them anyway, able to just throw to whoever is open without worrying about feeding the ball to a #1 receiver. Robby Anderson as the #3 receiver would be good. He's a vertical receiver who could give the Bills the fastest outside duo in the league. That'd open a lot up inside. I also think Knox will improve into a top TE, and Duke Williams will fill the role of big receiver.

Defensive end/pass rusher: I'd re-sign Lawson, as he's turned into a good run down end. Adding a passing down end like Vic Beasley or Ricky Fowler could work.

Defensive tackle: I'd try to re-sign Phillips to a short term deal. If he elects to sign elsewhere, I'd look at a NT type as his replacement. Michael Pierce from Batlimore could be a fit.

Draft: go BPA and get value picks.
Beane should be sewn to the hip of Spielman about getting Diggs and helping the cap hell that the Vikings would be in (even after cutting Rhodes).

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Yeah, letting Woods walk really stand out to me as an unecessary sacrifice. He wasn't going to command a backbreaking salary and he didn't have a reputation outstripped by his injury history

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

This is what Zac Shomler had to say about Daboll/Allen on his podcast a few days ago. I wouldn't go as far with the praise as he does, but I agree with the broad strokes - that Daboll gets credit for Allen's development. He's on an upward trajectory and already looks pretty good. As someone who originally thought Allen was a bum who would never amount to anything, that counts for a lot.

The offensive talent is better than last year but still below average. They totally remade the OL, WR, RB, TE... mostly with 2nd tier FAs and day 2 draft picks. Which was appropriate given the alternatives and the timeline of the rebuild. We're ahead of schedule by a year. But anyway I don't see how scoring 17 against three consecutive top-5 defenses (Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and NE) is below expectations for that unit this year. On paper this is still a bottom 3rd offense, which will hopefully improve as Allen continues to improve and as they eventually invest more premium assets.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This is what Zac Shomler had to say about Daboll/Allen on his podcast a few days ago. I wouldn't go as far with the praise as he does, but I agree with the broad strokes - that Daboll gets credit for Allen's development. He's on an upward trajectory and already looks pretty good. As someone who originally thought Allen was a bum who would never amount to anything, that counts for a lot.

The offensive talent is better than last year but still below average. They totally remade the OL, WR, RB, TE... mostly with 2nd tier FAs and day 2 draft picks. Which was appropriate given the alternatives and the timeline of the rebuild. We're ahead of schedule by a year. But anyway I don't see how scoring 17 against three consecutive top-5 defenses (Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and NE) is below expectations for that unit this year. On paper this is still a bottom 3rd offense, which will hopefully improve as Allen continues to improve and as they eventually invest more premium assets.

As much as I think Daboll has had a hand in Allen's development and I commend him for doing so, I don't have much faith in his ability to get more out of Allen. I do think we need to take the next step in our play calling and get someone who can get more out of Allen. I don't think he can orchestrate any type of explosive offense. As great as it is to have ball possession (14th in the league), you still need to be able to have sudden offense for WHEN your defense has a hiccup or two. Right now, I don't believe our offense can go punch for punch with any team offensively. I think it's not out of line to want to see upgrades offensively, everyone from the position players to the coaching staff.

We have a really good base with our defense, and we're going to have a much harder schedule next year. We will need to improve our offense immensely if we are to expect any success next season.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
As much as I think Daboll has had a hand in Allen's development and I commend him for doing so, I don't have much faith in his ability to get more out of Allen. I do think we need to take the next step in our play calling and get someone who can get more out of Allen. I don't think he can orchestrate any type of explosive offense. As great as it is to have ball possession (14th in the league), you still need to be able to have sudden offense for WHEN your defense has a hiccup or two. Right now, I don't believe our offense can go punch for punch with any team offensively. I think it's not out of line to want to see upgrades offensively, everyone from the position players to the coaching staff.

We have a really good base with our defense, and we're going to have a much harder schedule next year. We will need to improve our offense immensely if we are to expect any success next season.
I think a lot of Allen's development comes from two things:
1.) Barkley as a consistent back-up. In any position it is nice to have support that is consistent.
2.) Ken Dorsey - He is always next to Allen talking to him and he has a perspective some coaches do not.

That said, Daboll has done a good job of dialing up deep play action bombs that have been there and Allen just flat out misses them. There were at least three in the Steelers game and two in the Pats games from recent memory. So he is calling them properly. He struggles in using a running back in space, Yeldon is on the team soley as a pass catcher and he never is active. He should be throwing Roberts or McKenzie back with Singletary. It creates a third element in and RPO. Run with any of them or Allen, Pass to anyone and a third wrinkle in whick Singletary stays back and blocks or chips and then send two mismatches out on Linebackers. For all the love the Pats linebackers get, they would have been abused against twitchy players. The Saints do this wonderfully with Hill and Kamara, now imagine having a 3rd threat in Allen to run.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
playoff scenario.....

NFC

MIN is #6 and at #3
PHI/DAL division winner is #4
SF/SEA loser is #5 and at #4 PHI/DAL

IF SF W they are #1
GB W they are #2
NO #3 unless GB L and they W

If SF loses
GB W NO W then GB-NO-SEA (1-2-3)
GB W NO L then GB-NO-SEA
GB L NO W then NO-SEA-GB
GB L NO L then SEA-GB-NO

In AFC

BAL #1
BUF #5

NE W they are #2 and KC is #3 unless KC L and HOU W
IF NE L then 2-3-4 seeding
KC W HOU W KC-NE-HOU
KC W HOU L KC-NE-HOU
KC L HOU W NE-HOU-KC
KC L HOU L NE-KC-HOU

WC #6

TEN W they are #6
PIT W and TEN L they are #6
If both TEN and PIT L...then

OAK W IND W IND eliminated by L ro OAK and PIT then OAK over PIT by SV provuded some help occurs
OAK W IND L TEN SV
OAK L IND W PIT by H2H
OAK L IND L TEN by SV

** with SV or strength of victory TEN has a big lead that cant be overtaken by any other team. OAK and PIT are much closer . OAK I believe is leading by a couple wins with their victory but they have 3 common opponents they beat. It comes down to their results of other teams they beat and how they do on Sunday.

SV is equivalent to number of wins of beaten opponents

OAK beat DEN, IND, CHI, DET, LAC (2), CIN, they play DEN on sunday
OAK=6+7+7+3.5+5*2+1=34.5
PIT beat CIN(2), LAC, MIA, IND, CLE, AZ, LAR
PIT=1*2+5+4+7+6+8+5.5=37.5

CIN, IND, and LAC are the same in both them win or losing doesnt matter/ OAK needs to beat DEN next week to even be tied at 8-8

TEN SV= CLE, ATL, LAC, TB, KC, JAX, IND, OAK= 6+6+5+7+11+5+7+7=54+week 17 results
OAK= DEN(2), CHI, DET, LAC=6*2+7+3.5+6=28.5
PIT= CIN, CLE, MIA, AZ, LAR=1+6+4+9+5.5=25.5

with PIT CIN-CLE and AZ-LAR play each other thus combined only a total of 1 for each game can be added so PIT would be 27.5 +1 if MIA W so they would be tied. IF MIA doesnt win oakland has tiebraker eddge

For OAK they can add a W or T by having CHI, DET, or LAC W ot tie and cliniching it.

If tied after this....

goes to strength of schedule which will not change much given all divisional play in W17 which is adding up the Ws by teams they played.

OAK AFCW*2+AFCS+NFCN= 23*2 +30+33.5=109.5+NYJ(6)+CIN(1)
PIT= AFC*2+AFCE+NFCW= 22*2+ 34+36.5=114.5+LAC(5)+IND(7)

PIT will easily win the SoS tiebreaker

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
It's also really year 1 of the offensive plan. Ideal world, Peterman would have been QB all year last year. Same kind of off-season where you get 9 new starters. This off-season it's filling the remaining holes in the offense to get a more complete planned out offense.

You'll see probably a WR, Tackle, RB and some depth to round out the offense.

Hopefully in the off-season, Knox wakes up every day and does the jugs machine for 5 hours each day.

McDermott and Beane have had 3 drafts and 3 FAs. This is what they built.

In no ideal world is Peterman starting for an NFL team. That was just plain nutty that they thought he was starting material.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Nonsense. “Island of misfit toys” is an apt descriptor for the 2018 offense. This year’s offense is full of legit NFL talent and not waiver wire fodder. It is the definition of mediocre. What it lacks is elite game breaking talent. It had that in 2017 with shady and arguably incognito. That will probably be a priority this offseason. WR, OL, and DL could all use a talent upgrade.

Daboll is ok. Not great, but ok. He will probably be around another year or two.

This might be the first time I've heard a guard called "game breaking." Even Quentin Nelson isn't game breaking. Best a guard can do is not screw up and not get beat. Just an odd choice of words.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Regardless if we finish with 10 or 11 wins, or if we win a playoff game (or two) or not,let's just relish the fact that the 2019 Buffalo Bills was one of the best Bills teams in the last 24 years. The entire season this Bills team was in a playoff spot from pole to finish. We reached double digit wins the first time this millenium, playoffs for the 2nd time this millennium (2 in 3 years after 17 years of no playoffs is an amazing feeling), and had and won 2 prime time games. We finally are a respectable franchise again with the brightest future in the division.

I don't want this season to end. Deep down I know that it is highly unlikely we can make it past the divisional round. I truly believe we could and should beat Houston in round 1 (assuming that is our matchup) but in round 2 Baltimore or New England on the road is a likely loss. At least we can be proud that we clinched a spot in week 15, didn't have to rely on outside help to do it and that we are a legit top 10 team this year.

The Buffalo Bills are officially back. In recent times we are now considered more oft then not a playoff team. Who woulda thunk just 3 years ago when Rex was fired that we could go from laughingstock to powerhouse in 3 seasons.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Regardless if we finish with 10 or 11 wins, or if we win a playoff game (or two) or not,let's just relish the fact that the 2019 Buffalo Bills was one of the best Bills teams in the last 24 years. The entire season this Bills team was in a playoff spot from pole to finish. We reached double digit wins the first time this millenium, playoffs for the 2nd time this millennium (2 in 3 years after 17 years of no playoffs is an amazing feeling), and had and won 2 prime time games. We finally are a respectable franchise again with the brightest future in the division.

I don't want this season to end. Deep down I know that it is highly unlikely we can make it past the divisional round. I truly believe we could and should beat Houston in round 1 (assuming that is our matchup) but in round 2 Baltimore or New England on the road is a likely loss. At least we can be proud that we clinched a spot in week 15, didn't have to rely on outside help to do it and that we are a legit top 10 team this year.

The Buffalo Bills are officially back. In recent times we are now considered more oft then not a playoff team. Who woulda thunk just 3 years ago when Rex was fired that we could go from laughingstock to powerhouse in 3 seasons.

I think the season we had this year, the national exposure, winning in primetime, will be huge in recruiting FA talent to Buffalo as well this off-season. It could end up being one of the most important Bills seasons.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

It's been a great year. Cant wait to see what Beane does this offseason. There's a reason he's in consideration for executive of the year.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
The Bills brought in 9 new starters on offense with one of the returning starters being a QB who hadn't played a full season. They have a new OL coach, new assistant OL coach, new QB coach, and new WR coach. It takes a helluva a lot of sleepless nights to coordinate all those new parts.

Daboll was charged with developing Allen following the model the Panthers used with Cam Newton. Maybe Allen should be developed differently, but that was McDermott's call. I think they did get Allen into a system where they could manage the game and keep his play controlled.
Quick Hits: Sean McDermott sheds light on new coaching staff additions

Most coaches would have stapled Singletary's butt to the bench after his last fumble. Daboll deserves credit for sticking with him.
I don't like Daboll, but he didn't do a bad job considering all the challenges.
Fair, I disagree and will get in to it more later but in the end, like Nostra said, we in the f***in playoffs so, I shouldn't complain too much :nod:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
ESPN believes Beane should win Executive of the year. One thing that gets overlooked regarding Beane is he makes incredibly smart FA signings that are high reward/low risk. Jon Brown and Cole Beasley are on very good contracts considering what other WRs get on the market. Star is really the only contract that may linger around for an extra year.

This ESPN analyst shares my sentiments on Feliciano as well. Dude is a rock for the o line. Just need to get the RT sorted out and we'll be set in the trenches.

It's crazy how much of a turnover this team has had. People like to think 3 years is enough time to rebuild a team, but it's really dependent on how much turnover needs to be done.

Buffalo was in cap hell, had mediocre players all over the roster, and zero depth. Cleaning out the cap space was priority #1, and I don't think Beane could've done a better job. He then needed to part ways with damn near the entirety of the previous regimes roster, and add players via smart drafting and wise FA signings. A few causalities I would've liked to keep- Robert Woods for sure, but the overall overhaul was done phenomenally.

So while I notice posters say that 3 years should be enough time to rebuild an offense...I believe they lack perspective. There are very few rebuilds similar to what Beane had to deal with. That, coupled with the fact that the offense goes through many growing pains due to a young QB who never had solid coaching before entering the NFL, and it's understandable to see why the offense is bottom third in the league. They're very inconsistent, which is up to par with our QB.

Barnwell's 2019 NFL awards ballot - Picks for MVP, best rookies and more
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...nfl-awards-ballot-picks-mvp-best-rookies-more

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think a lot of Allen's development comes from two things:
1.) Barkley as a consistent back-up. In any position it is nice to have support that is consistent.
2.) Ken Dorsey - He is always next to Allen talking to him and he has a perspective some coaches do not.

That said, Daboll has done a good job of dialing up deep play action bombs that have been there and Allen just flat out misses them. There were at least three in the Steelers game and two in the Pats games from recent memory. So he is calling them properly. He struggles in using a running back in space, Yeldon is on the team soley as a pass catcher and he never is active. He should be throwing Roberts or McKenzie back with Singletary. It creates a third element in and RPO. Run with any of them or Allen, Pass to anyone and a third wrinkle in whick Singletary stays back and blocks or chips and then send two mismatches out on Linebackers. For all the love the Pats linebackers get, they would have been abused against twitchy players. The Saints do this wonderfully with Hill and Kamara, now imagine having a 3rd threat in Allen to run.

I'm hoping the Bills get a solid pass catching RB and/or a speedy home run hitter for the backfield next year to complement Singletary, along with upgrading the #3 WR spot.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'm hoping the Bills get a solid pass catching RB and/or a speedy home run hitter for the backfield next year to complement Singletary, along with upgrading the #3 WR spot.
Chris Thompson should be are #1 target. I don't see him re-signing with Washington.
I also noted earlier, Beane needs to do whatever he can to grab Diggs from Minnesota without giving up our first. Beane has set the table nicely, now he just needs to drop the 9 course meal on us so I can be fat dumb and happy.

If he walks out of Fa/trade with Diggs, Thompson, and another guard like Graham Glasgow. Then he can truly go BPA in round 1.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
ESPN believes Beane should win Executive of the year. One thing that gets overlooked regarding Beane is he makes incredibly smart FA signings that are high reward/low risk. Jon Brown and Cole Beasley are on very good contracts considering what other WRs get on the market. Star is really the only contract that may linger around for an extra year.

This ESPN analyst shares my sentiments on Feliciano as well. Dude is a rock for the o line. Just need to get the RT sorted out and we'll be set in the trenches.

It's crazy how much of a turnover this team has had. People like to think 3 years is enough time to rebuild a team, but it's really dependent on how much turnover needs to be done.

Buffalo was in cap hell, had mediocre players all over the roster, and zero depth. Cleaning out the cap space was priority #1, and I don't think Beane could've done a better job. He then needed to part ways with damn near the entirety of the previous regimes roster, and add players via smart drafting and wise FA signings. A few causalities I would've liked to keep- Robert Woods for sure, but the overall overhaul was done phenomenally.

So while I notice posters say that 3 years should be enough time to rebuild an offense...I believe they lack perspective. There are very few rebuilds similar to what Beane had to deal with. That, coupled with the fact that the offense goes through many growing pains due to a young QB who never had solid coaching before entering the NFL, and it's understandable to see why the offense is bottom third in the league. They're very inconsistent, which is up to par with our QB.

Barnwell's 2019 NFL awards ballot - Picks for MVP, best rookies and more
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...nfl-awards-ballot-picks-mvp-best-rookies-more

This team does well getting players for the defense. I am not at all impressed with the offense which 3 years after they took over went from a top ten in points scored to the 23rd offense in PPG. That's not progress to me, that's going backwards. They haven't even returned to the PPG scored under Rex Ryan in his final year when he got fired.

They have passed on 3 Pro Bowl QB's in Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson, 2 who will have been MVP players in Mahomes and Lamar Jackson. They passed on top tier offensive skill players such as JuJu Smith-Schuster, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay, Cooper Kupp, Alvin Kamara, DJ Chark, DK Metcalf, and Terry McLaurin.

I really don't want to see another draft where the 1st round pick goes to McDefense and they draft a big WR project in the later rounds.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
McDermott and Beane have had 3 drafts and 3 FAs. This is what they built.

In no ideal world is Peterman starting for an NFL team. That was just plain nutty that they thought he was starting material.

It's certainly not a finished product. It can be debated whether such a long and methodical process was necessary, but they took it, and it's bearing fruit.

Year 1 - detox roster of expensive players and unwanted personalities, evaluate remaining personnel, establish a culture of work and accountability. This was supposed to be a tank year but McDermott is a wizard. Beane had to trade up a lot more than he probably originally thought he would in the next year's draft.

Year 2 - draft intended franchise QB. Get his feet wet with some game action. Absorb maximum dead cap for the benefit of future years. This went more or less according to plan, except for the Wood and Incognito situations.

Year 3 - beginning of the upswing. Begin to assemble competent personnel around FQB and continue his development. This was probably envisioned as an 8-8 year, but the defense, the schedule, and some fortuitous bounces have us at 10 or 11 wins.

Year 4 - We'll see but Allen still has a ton of room to improve, we have 90M in space, and more than a full slate of draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad