Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
giphy.gif
:laugh:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Did they actually call a penalty on Detroit?? Holy crap it's a miracle. Of course, it only came after the drive should be over if the ****ing officials were competent.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
They called that exchange on Gilmore? What a ****ing joke.
Penalties were 8-0 at that point, and a couple of them very borderline to be kind. Bills have one of the worst penalty differentials in the league, and I'm not convinced it's entirely their fault. Officiating has been brutal this year.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Not the best 2 minute offense I've ever seen.

And that should have been a false start on the Bills. Terrible call.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Serious question, does this coaching staff/management group actually think this team can go on a run with Orton as QB and get into the playoffs?

I really don't see the point of the switch. I don't see Orton doing anything to make this team better. They're going to lose anyway, they might as well do it with Manuel, let him develop and see what he is.

I can understand making the switch if they had a Manziel or a Cousins behind Manuel. But Orton?

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Announcer today when asked if the Bills might switch back to Manuel: "We're not going to see a knee-jerk reaction."

Didn't we already see that when the Bills coaching staff had the fabulous idea to bench the young QB they drafted in the first round a year ago for a guy that has a .500 career record and hasn't been a starter in years?

It wasn't knee jerk at all. These guys know they are being evaluated by a new fanboy owner and they will pull out all the stops to manufacture some wins. Switching to a veteran QB was an obvious option.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I really don't see the point of the switch. I don't see Orton doing anything to make this team better. They're going to lose anyway, they might as well do it with Manuel, let him develop and see what he is.

So you don't know what EJ is? I guarantee the coaching staff knows exactly what EJ is. The staff doesn't need more time to figure that out.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Solid hand to the face of Watkins there on that 3rd down play. You know that's called if it's the other offense on the field. Cause we've seen similar called all game.

Running into the kicker....time off the clock, take the penalty and go for it. If you don't get it, it doesn't leave enough time for Detroit to run a play then kick a field goal. If you do get it, you give yourself a chance to kick a long field goal.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
So you don't know what EJ is? I guarantee the coaching staff knows exactly what EJ is. The staff doesn't need more time to figure that out.

So you're saying the staff thinks EJ, the QB they drafted in the first round a year ago, is a complete bust?

That makes more sense than it being an effort to propel the team forward, obviously nobody knows EJ like the coaching staff that has worked with him.

So, it's more of a "there's no hope for EJ, so let's see what this guy can do" than anything.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
So you're saying the staff thinks EJ, the QB they drafted in the first round a year ago, is a complete bust?

That makes more sense than it being an effort to propel the team forward, obviously nobody knows EJ like the coaching staff that has worked with him.

So, it's more of a "there's no hope for EJ, so let's see what this guy can do" than anything.

Once again, it's because there is a new owner. They don't have time to wait for a flawed, young QB to maybe (probably not) develop. They need to win now to save their jobs. A veteran, experienced QB gives them a better shot right now.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Can we at least go under center on third and short so there's a reasonable chance we might run the ball even if we don't?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Isn't it fun to read something I didn't type? :shakehead

I think playing Orton has to do with EJ getting his head on straight (growing pains) as much as seeing what Orton can do with this team. No deep thinking, or hidden reasons to make up.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Once again, it's because there is a new owner. They don't have time to wait for a flawed, young QB to maybe (probably not) develop. They need to win now to save their jobs. A veteran, experienced QB gives them a better shot right now.

If the new owner is demanding they win or be fired, he might as well fire them all now and start over. That's just a recipe for disaster.

All I see that leading to is Orton starting, the team going 6-10 or 7-9 - winning just enough games to ruin its draft position and being no farther ahead in terms of developing a QB for the future.

I guess I see it this way: neither of this QBs is capable of leading them into the playoffs. They might as well stick with Manuel and see if he gets better or improves. If he doesn't you drop him in the off season and look to draft someone else to pair with Orton or some other veteran next year.

I totally get what you're saying. If I was running the program and was told "win or you're gone" I'd give Orton a shot to see what he could do. But I think we would all admit that the sample size in the NFL on Orton is large enough to know what he is - a middling, .500 kind of QB that isn't going to make a difference.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Isn't it fun to read something I didn't type? :shakehead

I think playing Orton has to do with EJ getting his head on straight (growing pains) as much as seeing what Orton can do with this team. No deep thinking, or hidden reasons to make up.

Did you even notice the ? mark beside what I said? I was asking: "is that what you're saying?" I wasn't stating it as a fact.

I see it this way: if you're going to lose, you might as well lose with Manuel and if he shows any growth or improvement. I don't see how it helps him or the long-term future of the organization to sit him now.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
If the new owner is demanding they win or be fired, he might as well fire them all now and start over. That's just a recipe for disaster.

All I see that leading to is Orton starting, the team going 6-10 or 7-9 - winning just enough games to ruin its draft position and being no farther ahead in terms of developing a QB for the future.

I guess I see it this way: neither of this QBs is capable of leading them into the playoffs. They might as well stick with Manuel and see if he gets better or improves. If he doesn't you drop him in the off season and look to draft someone else to pair with Orton or some other veteran next year.

I totally get what you're saying. If I was running the program and was told "win or you're gone" I'd give Orton a shot to see what he could do. But I think we would all admit that the sample size in the NFL on Orton is large enough to know what he is - a middling, .500 kind of QB that isn't going to make a difference.

Well yeah, hopefully he does fire everyone from Brandon to Overdorf to Whaley to Marrone. But that won't happen until after the season.

Let's take the owner out of it. The point is that they're trying to win NOW. And they calculate better odds of winning NOW with a crappy veteran QB instead of a crappy pseudo rookie QB. A franchise that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years doesn't have time to wait around for Manuel, who has shown fundamental flaws in his throwing, to develop into a competent QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad