Buffalo Almost Traded Up for Max Domi

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
The Blue Jackets have their own edition of our "Beyond Blue and Gold." I was watching this episode and noticed they showed trade negotiations between Darcy Regier and Jarmo Kekalainen at the 2013 Draft. If Domi fell to CBJ at pick 14, we were gonna trade 38 and 16 to move up for Domi. Unfortunately for us, he was picked at 12.

Check out the video from 9:06 to 11:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccKUui7W4Hs

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Yes but Domi's hot start makes it relevant again. I don't think anyone expected him to be THIS good.
Depends how good you think he is. I see the same 25g player that provides very little for your team outside of that, that I always have. He's going to be a good scoring winger in this league for a while but he's always been a complimentary player to me. If Hanzal has 40 assists in February I will give Domi some credit but until then he's always going to be a player that plays great when his teammates play great and plays poorly when his teammates play poorly. And after watching a decade of that in Buffalo it doesn't excite me.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That was mentioned in the Sabres video too. They had discussions about moving up from that pick, and discussions about moving back from it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Blue Jackets have their own edition of our "Beyond Blue and Gold." I was watching this episode and noticed they showed trade negotiations between Darcy Regier and Jarmo Kekalainen at the 2013 Draft. If Domi fell to CBJ at pick 14, we were gonna trade 38 and 16 to move up for Domi. Unfortunately for us, he was picked at 12.

Check out the video from 9:06 to 11:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccKUui7W4Hs

should have posted this this week McFly....

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If Domi fell to CBJ at pick 14, we were gonna trade 38 and 16 to move up for Domi. Unfortunately for us, he was picked at 12.

It could also be construed as being fortunate for us, as we ended up taking Zadorov who was later flipped for Ryan O'Reilly. I believe we're leaps and bounds better now and in the future due to ROR's presence on the team. He's much more valuable to our future success.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yes but Domi's hot start makes it relevant again. I don't think anyone expected him to be THIS good.
I did. I was all about him like I was Nylander. I even remember discussing both these players in our draft threads. Both kids are going to be elite. What he is doing is not unexpected from me at all. I even called Reinhart over Bennett and so far I think I'm right about that one too.

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
I did. I was all about him like I was Nylander. I even remember discussing both these players in our draft threads. Both kids are going to be elite. What he is doing is not unexpected from me at all. I even called Reinhart over Bennett and so far I think I'm right about that one too.

bless us with more prophecies! will eichel win the calder? will stamkos sign in tampa? will terry build 400s to the FNC?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
bless us with more prophecies! will eichel win the calder? will stamkos sign in tampa? will terry build 400s to the FNC?
First One: Not at the moment. No.
Second One: I would if I wanted to win a cup
Third One: Not until he builds a coliseum as an arena so no.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It could also be construed as being fortunate for us, as we ended up taking Zadorov who was later flipped for Ryan O'Reilly. I believe we're leaps and bounds better now and in the future due to ROR's presence on the team. He's much more valuable to our future success.

Very fortunate, as without Zadorov we don't have the central piece to get ROR. Everyone knew Colorado wanted a LHD with big potential. I don't think we get the deal done if we had drafted Domi instead of Zadorov.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
And now Buffalo has Connor Hurley too. So they have that going for them... which is nice.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006

Barf.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

Not counting PHilly's reach, who else would you draft Domi in front of? Most have already establish themselves in the NHL or have more potential.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not counting PHilly's reach, who else would you draft Domi in front of? Most have already establish themselves in the NHL or have more potential.

Horvat. I think that was a pretty lame pick by Vancouver.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't understand why buffalo wanted Domi. He didn't fit their new philosophical.

The team wanted to get bigger and the drafted Grigs snd Girgs who were not little. Earlier they drafted Zristo.

All Darcy was friends with the Phoenix GM so why not talk to him about trading?

I think the reason they wanted to trade up was there was a group of 4 they liked and after Domi got drafted they knew at least one of them would be there so font need to trade. Had 1 of these 4 went to Arizona then they look at trading up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad