News Article: Buff - not the trade piece we think?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I still think that trading Byfuglien NOW is the right thing to do. However, a big part of me wants to see what Maurice can do with this club through an entire cycle, off season training instruction, camp, exy and regular season. I really have never gotten that sense about Byfuglien (really loving playing hockey, following instructions, being a leader). If that truly is the case, then keeping him here for another year is kind of intriguing to me.

I also take it with a WEE bit of salt because of all the things Mo said about P****** :laugh:

Honestly, this is what I love about HF boards. You can come in with pre-conceived notions and firm ideas about players and situations, then you can learn something new. All you have to do is have an open mind. :yo: :heart:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Agreed, Jet. I really want to see what PMo can do with a full season. Some things are as inexorable as the tides, but PMo can bring a culture of accountability that Noel didn't have. I'm kind of excited at the prospect.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So since its been removed, what was the comment?

Hah! I'm surprised it was removed - it wasn't that bad. Something along the lines of:

Lawless, skulking around beneath the bleachers of a hockey arena, looking for a new story. I know! Discuss Pavelec - that's sure to get a reaction. Strike 1. Discuss the playoffs! Strike 2. Comment on missed opportunity to coach Crosby and Malkin! Strike 3. This is what passes for our local media.​

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Jumping the gun folks.... For all we know we have a 4 year deal done with him..... Or the plan is to use him again this year to buy us another year of farm team development. I don't know that trading a player with 2 year 10 mil left will bring more then a shorter 1 year 5 mil deal????

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Completely unrelated to the article in question (Pavelec), but PMo drops some quotes on Buff.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/maurice-guarding-pavelecs-back-265015541.html

That's just Maurice. He is very positive. Always apparently.

I'm ok with keeping Buff if we can bring in some quality depth pieces in FA.

That!

We need some depth upgrades from somewhere. If not FA then Buff is the best option.

Sounds like Jets don't plan to move Buff.

Oh well. Playoffs in 2017/18, maybe.

That's not the coach's job or decision and it is Maurices's nature to be positive.

Buff is not an obstacle to the playoffs.

No, but his market value is a path to the play-offs.

Last edited by a moderator:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Hah! I'm surprised it was removed - it wasn't that bad. Something along the lines of:

Lawless, skulking around beneath the bleachers of a hockey arena, looking for a new story. I know! Discuss Pavelec - that's sure to get a reaction. Strike 1. Discuss the playoffs! Strike 2. Comment on missed opportunity to coach Crosby and Malkin! Strike 3. This is what passes for our local media.​

So the free press removes comments that are critical of their reporters? Pretty sad

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The way this Buff situation is being handled will go down as one of the biggest botches in Jets/Thrashers history right up there with the Brayden Coburn trade when all is said and done. I have no idea what Chevy and the management think they are doing. You go out of your way to pi$$ the player off and make an assertion that you are going to continue pi$$ing him off to a point that he likely won't resign with your team. Yet you don't trade him while you have a chance to get something good back. Are the Jets fine with losing Buff for nothing in 2 years? ugghhh. I for one am not looking forward to watching Buff play an entire season on RW and completely crashing his trade value

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
The way this Buff situation is being handled will go down as one of the biggest botches in Jets/Thrashers history right up there with the Brayden Coburn trade when all is said and done. I have no idea what Chevy and the management think they are doing. You go out of your way to pi$$ the player off and make an assertion that you are going to continue pi$$ing him off to a point that he likely won't resign with your team. Yet you don't trade him while you have a chance to get something good back. Are the Jets fine with losing Buff for nothing in 2 years? ugghhh. I for one am not looking forward to watching Buff play an entire season on RW and completely crashing his trade value

This for sure. I don't see his value being much higher than it is right now

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

Soooo......,
How do you know the Jets didn't try to trade him?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Slow down.

How are the Jets going out of their way to tick buff off? By telling him that they want him to play forward? Last time I checked its a team sport, you do what the team needs you to do, plus last time I checked buff is a employee of the Jets who gets paid very well.

I'm fine with keeping buff or trading him as long as we get good value. How do you know Chevy didn't try and trade him but maybe no one would pay enough or much for him? No way the Jets would let a player walk of his skill, he would be traded before his contract ended.

I see nothing the Jets have as wrong with buff, especially if you assume they plan on keeping him until just before his contract runs out (then trade him). He is helping them win now by adding depth on a third line where we have none.

Buff is doing just fine, if buff is pissed of he is being nothing but selfish.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I maintain that it is not at all certain that playing RW has Buff PO'd. Yes he expressed a preference for playing D. As I remember it, when they switched him to the wing he was very productive for the first few games (I don't remember how many). Then he went pretty quiet for 8-10 games except for a little PP production and I thought the experiment had failed and should be ended. The last roughly 10 games he appeared to me to be enjoying playing the wing and he began playing it very well.

I think the experiment needs more time. Wait till Christmas and see a)how well he is playing and b)how happy or unhappy he is with it.

None of the above has any influence (yet) on my opinion about whether he should be traded or not. That is based on my opinion that he should bring multiple good, proven, young depth players in return. It is also based on the opinion that what he could bring in return is a better fit for the Jets now than what he is. If either of those is wrong I would rather keep him but if both are correct then he should go and provide some reason to hope for the coming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad