Confirmed Trade: [BUF/VGK] Colin Miller for 2021 STL 2nd round pick and 2022 5th round pick

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like a great deal for Buffalo. Except for the fact that Miller is really not what they actually need as a defenceman. Hmmm...

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Has there been any word of Vegas making this trade with Buffalo b/c they'd rather move Miller to the East??
I find that hard to believe. C Miller was 59th in RS scoring among defensemen last year. I’m not slagging him off by any means — it’s not warranted.

However, let’s not act like Vegas was trading Bobby Orr and in an ideal world he’d play on a different planet due to his innate dangerous skills.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Have fun with Leaf fans and their unhealthy obsession of Miller because he was a Soo Greyhound with Dubas as the GM, Sabres fans.

I guess Dubas mouthpiece Mirtle wrote a ton of articles about his amazing advanced stats.

Despite the user title, I'm a NYR fan. Anyway, like I said I wouldn't be surprised if Miller ends up more of a journeyman kind of guy than a top-4 guy who dresses every night and plays 20+ minutes longer term...I am guilty of overvaluing and overrating him a bit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This deal goes back to confusing if Ristolainen doesn't get moved. It's great to get him for such a cheap cost, because right handed puck moving D are always in crazy high demand, but they have other problems with that defense

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

This deal goes back to confusing if Ristolainen doesn't get moved. It's great to get him for such a cheap cost, because right handed puck moving D are always in crazy high demand, but they have other problems with that defense

Bogosian's hurt and his deal is up after this season -- plus he's very bad. So they would only have one extra RHD for one season, and probably not even that considering the fact that Bogo has been hurt more often than not over the past 5 years.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Not sure what is confusing. They have Montour, Ristolainen, and Miller. Then Bogosian (who is out injured until November, and isn't good) and Nelson (who isn't good) and they are both one year from UFA. Right now they have a decent right side defense. If they trade Ristolainen, they will have a bad one.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

It's not confusing if Krueger and Botts see what Bogosian truly is- an injury prone defenseman who when healthy should probably be a number 7. Risto, Montour, and Miller is pretty good depth on the right side. None are true#1s or even top pairing guys, but they all have top-4 potential.

Luckily, Buffalo has Dahlin who will carry a pairing on his own much like any elite number 1 guy. All they need is for one of Montour or Miller to show chemistry. Having a partner like Dahlin makes life much easier for any defender.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

I think a lot of people think some of the problems are fixed by simply being able to reduce Risto's minutes and giving him better usage. Bogosian is going to be out until after thanksgiving and isn't good so we needed another RHD to do that. There is no rush to move anyone. Botts may have learned his lesson rushing a trade with the ROR deal. Better to sit tight than give up an asset for an underpayment.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Now if they get rid of some salary they'll be fine. Likely Eakin, but I'd do Holden and Merrill, or just waive them next year. Also makes me question Gusev, but want to start calling Goose-egg.

Good trade for both teams though. But Buffalo has too many RHD.

One of their top three right hand defenseman (Brokegosian) is constantly hurt and is on the IR until probably the end of November at the earliest. And even that hasn’t stopped him from being mentioned in trade rumors to Vancouver.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Stecher is a top 4 D. I wouldn’t give Benning any credit for him though, since he’s a bc boy and has mentioned seeing that the Canucks defense was one he could crack.

Do you think most teams have only 3 d better than him? If you don't and there are lot team have 4 D better than him. That means he is a Not a clear cut number 4. No more than 4/5.

It takes two to tango, Benning didn't have to sign him. He thought he had Potential and that's why he signed him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
James Mirtle: Vegas has the worst cap situation in the league, Leafs are fine.

2 weeks later: Dubas has to give up their 1st to move Marleau; still stuck with Zaitsev (missed out on Miller & Gudas) and haven't signed Marner. Meanwhile Vegas re-signed Karlsson at a discount, moved 2 salaries no problem and got a 2nd, a prospect and a 5th. And they also kept their 2017 1st and had Krebs fall to them.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Maybe Botts is cornering the market on mobile RHD in order to create artificial shortage and turn Bogosian into an asset. Trading Bogo for something of value would be a Jedi-move.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Maybe Botts is cornering the market on mobile RHD in order to create artificial shortage and turn Bogosian into an asset. Trading Bogo for something of value would be a Jedi-move.

Darth Regier-like, even. For real, though, I do think Bogosian will be moveable once he comes off IR. He's a pending UFA next summer, so his contract shouldn't pose a problem, and I'm sure somebody will be looking for additional defensive depth. I doubt we could get much for him, but I do think he could be traded.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
DeHaan apparently has chronic shoulder injuries and his latest one might not see him back in time for the start of the year. Apparently, Carolina is concerned about his long term health and it was a big factor in trading him.

Miller doesn't have those concerns, plus he's cheaper and younger, and plays the more scarce position.

But CDH is way more established as an NHL dman.
Good info. Lol we all miss stuff like this which is why we all call trades great or horrible when they are often closer than we think.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Would these be the projected pairings?

Dahlin - Miller
McCabe - Montour
Scandella/Pilut - Ristolainen

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Can Buffalo fans explain why Ristolainen is on the block?

Risto has been a part of a rebuild that has brought nothing but losing to the franchise. Unconfirmed reports and a “questionable answer” in an interview by Botterill recently has people believing Risto has asked for a trade.

Why Buffalo would want to trade Risto, they need to continue “re-tooling” their team as Botterill has determined this. Risto is probably the biggest asset they have to do so to get quality players/draft picks back.

Why Risto would want to be traded; mainly change of scenery. He’s a guy that has confidence in himself, but he has seen Buffalo now bring in Dahlin, the favorite to take his spot on the #1 PP, he has seen them bring in Montour who would QB the #2 PP. he is watching his spots that he collected points from slip away. He might feel better off on another team and have a type of refresh for his career.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Would these be the projected pairings?

Dahlin - Miller
McCabe - Montour
Scandella/Pilut - Ristolainen
Pilut is banged up and may miss the first month of the season but pretty close. I would prefer a Miller and Montour Swap but could see that being the way they start the season.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Can Buffalo fans explain why Ristolainen is on the block?
You'll hear answers such as he lacks defensive play, he makes mistakes, he's been over played and a few others.
The truth is much more simple than many would like to admit in Sabres Land. And that is he is the only high end commodity the Sabres can afford to move that can bring in the desired return to help turn the ship around in Buffalo, which is giving a highly sought after RHD for a forward with caliber. If Risto is moved, it won't be for futures, I promise you, It will be for immediate impact.

Botterill has already started rebuilding the right side of the D, take a look at Montour and Miller, both brought in from the deadline to now. There will be further rebuilding as well, not only defensively, on the left side, but in the forward ranks. Botterill isn't as dumb as so many on this site anyways, elude to. He knew the ROR trade had to happen, as bad as it was it wasn't his fault at the return. If the Pegula's would have ponied up the bonus there were a couple of reported packages that were very nice for ROR, one from the Hurricanes.

It is what it is I'm afraid. Buffalo needs to find the players to mesh with the ones they intend to keep, in the defenses case, it needed an overhaul. Risto, as good an offensive D man as he is, is really the only player of worth to address another area of need.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Miller is not a top pairing dman, he needs to be sheltered and play primarily offensive situations.
Dahlin may do the sheltering. Never underestimate the effect an elite defenseman can have on his partner. If they can find chemistry, then watch out. The RHD#1 is open for the taking. Someone just needs to step up.

Reactions: Rolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad