Proposal: Buf-Tor

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
How off am I in this idea?

To Buffalo: Nylander, Dermott, 15th OV

To Toronto: Reinhart, Jokiharju, 8th OV

Rationale: Nylander is the best player in this trade, but Reinhart is good. Similar defensive issues for both, although Reinhart is the more physical player. Reinhart will also cost less, as he is an RFA. I put him in the ballpark of 5-6 million, on a multi-year extension. Jokiharju has one more left on his entry level and is a RD. Drafted as an O-Defenseman, he has seemingly worked to round out his defensive game far more than his offense. The cost savings in this trade could allow the Leafs to still sign a RD to round out the top 4, based on Dermott fetching roughly 2 million.

Salary out - roughly 9 million
Salary in - roughly 6 - 7 million

Thoughts? Am I way off base here?

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
They get the superior offensive player, while only spending a little more money. They also get the LD they need for their excess RD.

The price on RD is insanely high, and Buffalo knows it.

They're also in-division, which puts a premium on anything we ask for.

Reactions: bodechek

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
The price on RD is insanely high, and Buffalo knows it.

They're also in-division, which puts a premium on anything we ask for.

In division makes things tough, but there are several RD options going UFA. They are a budget team, and the bulk of Nylander's salary is paid. I'm not sure there's a premium on RD vs. LD, but maybe you know better than me. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that Toronto weakens themselves here at forward, I just think they can sustain the loss.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I'd rather just get good D period than pay premiums on RD.

LD vs RD only matters if your D are crap.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Rationale: Nylander is the best player in this trade, but Reinhart is good. Similar defensive issues for both, although Reinhart is the more physical player. Reinhart will also cost less, as he is an RFA. I put him in the ballpark of 5-6 million, on a multi-year extension. Jokiharju has one more left on his entry level and is a RD. Drafted as an O-Defenseman, he has seemingly worked to round out his defensive game far more than his offense. The cost savings in this trade could allow the Leafs to still sign a RD to round out the top 4, based on Dermott fetching roughly 2 million.

You are way off base. Nylander is obviously an upgrade on Reinhart. But there is no way Buffalo trades Jokiharju who they view as part of their future top-pairing (with Dahlin) for a D who will probably not push past being a 4/5. Add on to that Joki being a RHD (and 2 or 3 years younger) and Dermott being a LHD. Yes, Buffalo has a shortage of LHD at the moment, but it is not hard to remedy that at all. Top-pairing, or even top-4 RHD? Super hard to remedy that, as Toronto has seen over the past many years. Then you add in Buffalo giving up the much better pick. No chance.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You are way off base. Nylander is obviously an upgrade on Reinhart. But there is no way Buffalo trades Jokiharju who they view as part of their future top-pairing (with Dahlin) for a D who will probably not push past being a 4/5. Add on to that Joki being a RHD (and 2 or 3 years younger) and Dermott being a LHD. Yes, Buffalo has a shortage of LHD at the moment, but it is not hard to remedy that at all. Top-pairing, or even top-4 RHD? Super hard to remedy that, as Toronto has seen over the past many years. Then you add in Buffalo giving up the much better pick. No chance.
Leafs would not do it either. Team would be worse next season and Dubie gone. It would never fly here either. We are not in rebuild mode. And young D are a huge ?????. You never know anything until they are 25.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I'd love the trade for my Leafs. I don't think Buffalo would actually consider Reinhardt a lesser player than Nylander. I'm not sure I consider Reinhardt a lesser player than Nylander. Same thing with Jokiharju and Dermott. Watch, Reinhardt will make more money than Nylander on his next deal.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's a tough trade for division rivals to make given the significant pieces involved. I think moving Kapanen also very much decreased the possibility of a Nylander trade happening all that soon. If a Nylander trade were to happen, I'd probably prefer to simplify things to something closer to a Nylander for a defenceman type of trade. A further preference would likely be to have that occur with a team not in the division.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

I dont think the value you describe is too too far off, but the Leafs need to add for sure. Or at least create value. Easiest way is to flex some financial muscle.

If Buffalos financials are a bit shaky, Leafs could take one (or both) of JS Dea and CJ Smith. Both are serviceable AHLers, but make 700k in the minors each. They can find similar replacements for well under half the AHL cost, saving 700k+ cash.

I could also see adding in a guy like Marcus Johnanson for Andreas Johnson. Similar players in output, but AJ is 25 and MJ is 29. *This assumes Cozens/Midelstadt are ready to be in the top 6 next year.
Buffalo gets another 2 years on the contract, and saves 1.4m real cash next year.
Essentially AJ has 3 more years at a total of 2.533 cash.

Do Nylander, AJ, Dermott, 15th, and a mid round pick
for
Reinhart, MJ, Joki, 8th, Dea+Smith

Buffalo gets the best player in Nylander, and a similar guy to MJ locked in for an additional 2 years for less, and saves 700k+ in the AHL.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jokiharju is nice but I don’t think his stock has increased from Alex to William Nylander as a basis for trade.

Reactions: ToneDog

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Nylander maybe a bit ahead of Sam, but Jokiharju is miles ahead of Dermott. This is never gonna happen unless the leafs add their first and maybe even a second.

Jokiharju is a legit player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad