Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres sign Jack Quinn to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

hockeyman1

Aug 21, 2020
skating is not that hard to improve
He (Rossi) is already a good skater! But he lacks the ability to separate himself from others. I doubt that the things he gets away with in the OHL work in the NHL. Quinn can cut through, separate himself, all the while looking much less refined than Rossi in that department, that's what my eyes tell me at least.

Reactions: lawrence

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Never got the hype with Perfetti. He's a Monahan/Reinhart-type. Likely a good NHL player. Very unlikely more than that, imo.
Rossi, I get, but I also know the Sabres weren't the only people watching the 67s and coming away thinking Quinn was the best player for that team. Time will tell.

I would be thrilled if Perfetti turned into Monahan.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He (Rossi) is already a good skater! But he lacks the ability to separate himself from others. I doubt that the things he gets away with in the OHL work in the NHL. Quinn can cut through, separate himself, all the while looking much less refined than Rossi in that department, that's what my eyes tell me at least.

hella surprised he went before Rossi. Will have to see if this move pays off. Virtually everyone in the draft community had Rossi ahead of him.

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
If Rossi ends up as Monohan and Quinn ends up like a Pasternak-lite I'm happy for both teams. We'll see what happens but with Eichel a #1 stud and Cozens projecting to be a solid #2 I can see why they went with the elite sniper to compliment them instead of the centre (Rossi).

I know, BPA, but if Rossi turns out to be a little better player, I think the balanced team approach helps Buffalo more in the end.

Reactions: Reddawg

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
If Rossi ends up as Monohan and Quinn ends up like a Pasternak-lite I'm happy for both teams. We'll see what happens but with Eichel a #1 stud and Cozens projecting to be a solid #2 I can see why they went with the elite sniper to compliment them instead of the centre (Rossi).

I know, BPA, but if Rossi turns out to be a little better player, I think the balanced team approach helps Buffalo more in the end.
Wouldn't it be better to draft the position of greatest need and bpa? Center is still the Sabre's weakest position depth wise going forward. Cozens hasn't proven a single thing in the NHL yet. There's a much larger than 0% chance that Cozens busts in the NHL, even if makes it he could still bust as a center but then be moved to wing a la Reinhart. So wouldn't it be better to have another high end center prospect in the org team approach wise?

Even if Cozens turns into the bonafide #2 center we hope he will, wouldn't it be great to have bonafide #2 center Rossi, centering the most dangerous 3rd line in the NHL? Or bump one of them to wing? Or have another center because they have more trade value?

Unless the Sabres know something about Rossi/Quinn that nobody else does and correctly predicted their potential its a bad look.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Wouldn't it be better to draft the position of greatest need and bpa? Center is still the Sabre's weakest position depth wise going forward. Cozens hasn't proven a single thing in the NHL yet. There's a much larger than 0% chance that Cozens busts in the NHL, even if makes it he could still bust as a center but then be moved to wing a la Reinhart. So wouldn't it be better to have another high end center prospect in the org team approach wise?

Even if Cozens turns into the bonafide #2 center we hope he will, wouldn't it be great to have bonafide #2 center Rossi, centering the most dangerous 3rd line in the NHL? Or bump one of them to wing? Or have another center because they have more trade value?

Unless the Sabres know something about Rossi/Quinn that nobody else does and correctly predicted their potential its a bad look.
Drafting 18 year olds is a crap shooter on its own.I understand what you are saying however who is to say Rossi won't bust as a center and get moved to wing? Quinn's upside as a sniper and a good defensive player along with a tough to play against player makes him a player Krueger covets.I think both players will be good NHLers but who knows at 18

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Drafting 18 year olds is a crap shooter on its own.I understand what you are saying however who is to say Rossi won't bust as a center and get moved to wing? Quinn's upside as a sniper and a good defensive player along with a tough to play against player makes him a player Krueger covets.I think both players will be good NHLers but who knows at 18
That's exactly my point. The Sabres have cozens as the only top 6 center prospect in the org. With bust chances as high as they are with 18 year olds, wouldn't it be better to have 2 blue chip top 6 center prospects, doubling your chances of ending up with a top 6 center?

If Quinn turns out to be better than Rossi it will be basically the first time ever that the Sabres scouting outsmarted the rest of the NHL on a prospect like this. It would be especially shocking after the gutting the Sabres front office just underwent this offseason.

Nothing is guaranteed, Quinn could turn out to be the next Ovi and Rossi could be the next Mittlestadt. All I'm saying is that at this time it looks like a dumb move, from basically every angle.

I suppose things did work out for the Pegulas other sports franchise, The Buffalo Bills, on reaching for a non-consensus pick in QB Josh Allen. Of course after 30 years of reaching for QB prospects that turned into failures one was bound to exceed expectations eventually. And the Bills did pass on league and super bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes in order to amass picks to draft JA the following year. So...

Reactions: sufferer

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Quinn was ridiculous in the OHL last year...52 goals in 62 games after 12 goals the year before. He's exactly what you want in a high pick - a guy whose development is accelerating at a rapid pace. Rossi is an ideal playmaker for him no doubt and Rossi is an animal but they are both blue chippers. I'd pick Rossi personally - I'm just enamored with him - but they are both elite prospects.

And saying this is like Allen versus Mahomes? C'mon...that's absurd. Rossi is not the NHL-equivalent of Mahomes. LOL.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
That's exactly my point. The Sabres have cozens as the only top 6 center prospect in the org. With bust chances as high as they are with 18 year olds, wouldn't it be better to have 2 blue chip top 6 center prospects, doubling your chances of ending up with a top 6 center?

If Quinn turns out to be better than Rossi it will be basically the first time ever that the Sabres scouting outsmarted the rest of the NHL on a prospect like this. It would be especially shocking after the gutting the Sabres front office just underwent this offseason.

Nothing is guaranteed, Quinn could turn out to be the next Ovi and Rossi could be the next Mittlestadt. All I'm saying is that at this time it looks like a dumb move, from basically every angle.

I suppose things did work out for the Pegulas other sports franchise, The Buffalo Bills, on reaching for a non-consensus pick in QB Josh Allen. Of course after 30 years of reaching for QB prospects that turned into failures one was bound to exceed expectations eventually. And the Bills did pass on league and super bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes in order to amass picks to draft JA the following year. So...
That comparison is silly.Buffalo is also looking to get bigger and tougher to play against so there is that as well.Me personally would have taken Rossi or Lundell but again picking 18 year olds is different than other sports where they are 22/23 so you know what you are getting more or less

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Quinn was ridiculous in the OHL last year...52 goals in 62 games after 12 goals the year before. He's exactly what you want in a high pick - a guy whose development is accelerating at a rapid pace. Rossi is an ideal playmaker for him no doubt and Rossi is an animal but they are both blue chippers. I'd pick Rossi personally - I'm just enamored with him - but they are both elite prospects.

And saying this is like Allen versus Mahomes? C'mon...that's absurd. Rossi is not the NHL-equivalent of Mahomes. LOL.

And Rossi and Quinn were on different lines. Rossi played with older kids on his wing, while Quinn played with people not eligible until next draft.

I suppose you could say Quinn’s QOC was less than Rossi’s, and have a very valid point, but it is still impressive in its own right.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
That comparison is silly.Buffalo is also looking to get bigger and tougher to play against so there is that as well.Me personally would have taken Rossi or Lundell but again picking 18 year olds is different than other sports where they are 22/23 so you know what you are getting more or less

My point in mentioning Mahomes/Allen is that the Bills got a great player, but that they still passed on the better one.

Rossi is the same size as Brayden Point. Is Point easy to play against? Has Point's size made him unsuccessful at the NHL level?

Is a 50g/30a winger more valuable than a 40g/60a center? Especially to a franchise who's NHL centers after this season consist of Jack Eichel and .... Cody Eakin?

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
My point in mentioning Mahomes/Allen is that the Bills got a great player, but that they still passed on the better one.

Rossi is the same size as Brayden Point. Is Point easy to play against? Has Point's size made him unsuccessful at the NHL level?

Is a 50g/30a winger more valuable than a 40g/60a center? Especially to a franchise who's NHL centers after this season consist of Jack Eichel and .... Cody Eakin?
You don't know what Rossi is going to turn into along with Cozens, Middlestadt,R2,Asplund,Pekar all centre's.. I mean I can play this game too..Would you take a 40 goalscorer who kills penalties and is tough to play against or a 20 goal,40 assist Rossi? Fact is its a crapshoot

Reactions: onionsack

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
If Quinn turns out to be better than Rossi it will be basically the first time ever that the Sabres scouting outsmarted the rest of the NHL on a prospect like this.

All I'm saying is that at this time it looks like a dumb move, from basically every angle.

A lot of wrong to digest here

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
you dont get the perfetti hype. 111 points points in your draft year primarily as a winger. buffalo over thought the pick.
Buffalo looked at positional need, tea impact, skill sets and BPA that met that criteria plus a little more and chose Quinn.

As others have said, time will tell.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
you dont get the perfetti hype. 111 points points in your draft year primarily as a winger. buffalo over thought the pick.

Yes, I too can read a stat line. Skills-wise, though, I think he tops out at something like Monahan/Reinhart. Good player, definitely, but not anything super special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad