Claimed off Waivers: [BUF] Sabres claim Drake Caggiula off waivers from Coyotes

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Caggiula has been awful this year, easily worse than the other taxi squad guys and worse than AHL callups. That's why he was on waivers.

I honestly haven’t watched him at all this season but he was a solid player in Edmonton. As a waiver pickup for depth you could do worse

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You can't trade a player after you claim him? that doesn't sound right

if that was the case the bottom team could claim players snd send them to hood teams for futures.

if you claim a player if you are going to trade or send a p,Ayer doen it first goes to other teams thst filed claims, Thrn Thry get him for the fee, or back to the original team and return the fee before any trade coukd happen.

if he had term past this league year then they become a regular roster player and the waiver claims are erased.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They absolutely can. It doesn’t happen much because a guy being on waivers tends to mean the don’t have much value. But there is no rule against it

That's what I thought, I could see a playoff team giving a 7th for him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't care if he scores goals or doesn't. Will he hit someone instead of trying to do a goddamn poke check every time he's near a member of the opposite team that has the puck, like 100% of the Sabres forwards currently do?
Caggiula used to play balls-to-the-wall hockey. A little guy, but played his guts out. I think that caught up to him. Too many injuries, and had his bell rung too many times. I think he wants to play that way still but he can't. Unfortunately for him, it was the only reason he had an NHL career. Without that reckless play style, he's not an NHLer. I think Caggiula is done in this league after this season, unfortunately. He'll get one more PTO and off to Europe, I'd guess.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Caggiula used to play balls-to-the-wall hockey. A little guy, but played his guts out. I think that caught up to him. Too many injuries, and had his bell rung too many times. I think he wants to play that way still but he can't. Unfortunately for him, it was the only reason he had an NHL career. Without that reckless play style, he's not an NHLer. I think Caggiula is done in this league after this season, unfortunately. He'll get one more PTO and off to Europe, I'd guess.

So no, then. Goddammit

rt

May 13, 2004
So no, then. Goddammit
I think maybe Buffalo didn’t scout Arizona this season. I mean, the Coyotes signed him because they knew what he used to be and hoped he could be again. When it became clear that wasn’t going to happen, they waived him. 2018 Caggiula was not on waivers, it was 2021 Caggiula. I have to wonder if Buffalo even knows what that looks like.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think maybe Buffalo didn’t scout Arizona this season. I mean, the Coyotes signed him because they knew what he used to be and hoped he could be again. When it became clear that wasn’t going to happen, they waived him. 2018 Caggiula was not on waivers, it was 2021 Caggiula. I have to wonder if Buffalo even knows what that looks like.

Buffalo has 6 scouts at the amateur and professional level. Combined. It’s almost a guarantee they didn’t do any scouting of him or anyone :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
if that was the case the bottom team could claim players snd send them to hood teams for futures.

if you claim a player if you are going to trade or send a p,Ayer doen it first goes to other teams thst filed claims, Thrn Thry get him for the fee, or back to the original team and return the fee before any trade coukd happen.

if he had term past this league year then they become a regular roster player and the waiver claims are erased.

Partially correct.

Teams are free to trade a waiver claim so long as no other team submitted a claim. If another team submitted a claim then the player must be offered for “free” to that team and be declined before being traded.

There is no requirement to offer a player back to the team that originally lost him on waivers.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Thank god. One of the most useless players I’ve ever seen pass through the coyotes roster. Just awful.

Crow

May 19, 2014
He was a good player, though injured a lot for the hawks. I like his game. Not sure what went wrong in AZ.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I understood the thinking from Arizona's standpoint with Schmaltz on the roster getting drake in the beginning.

GM's have the idea of trying to re-create one of the most dominant lines in the NCAA in the past 10 years.
but lets be honest we know who was a driver on that line.
Boeser.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Buffalo has 7 total scouts and they now share duties on both the amateur + pro side. Plus according to Elliotte Friedman they are scouting 90% by video.

So at best maybe they threw on NHL network and watched a few shifts...
:laugh:

Most likely this was Don Granato telling Kevyn Adams to claim him because of their time together in Chicago.

oh, and he’s cheap so that’s probably the other reason. Buffalo is pretty much capped out.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Wait... wasn't that how Reider played too? Maybe not as balls to the wall... but a hard forechecking game.

Drake seems done because of his injuries but I think he still has a few years left as he can play a skilled game and tone down the flying missile hits.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Funny because he came to the leauge for his hands, and in my mind good hands has a place. Maybe coaches just needed a guy who plays reckless than a finess guy, who there are a ton of

rt

May 13, 2004
Wait... wasn't that how Reider played too? Maybe not as balls to the wall... but a hard forechecking game.

Drake seems done because of his injuries but I think he still has a few years left as he can play a skilled game and tone down the flying missile hits.
No. Rieder was extremely fast and very smart and had a good, active stick. Great at generating turnovers but dog shit at converting them because he had no hands. Not fantastic forechekcer in the traditional sense because he was light in the ass and a bit soft. Similarly not great in board battles. Didn’t hit or mix it up at all. Cerebral, fast, defensive forward.

Caggiula was all blood and guts. Didn’t have the smarts or raw talent of Rieder. But had brass balls and an abrasive, sandpaper approach to things. Always did evertithing above weight class. Which is why he’s broken down now.

Floyd Mayweather woulda had a short career in the light heavyweight division, too. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad