Confirmed Trade: [BUF/MTL] Nathan Beaulieu for 2017 3rd round pick

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I believe he's a rfa and arbitration eligible. Bergevin might have been worried about how much he'd be awarded. Add in the expansion draft and you start understanding why there was a value drop. Under normal circumstances he should have been worth more, but the Buffalo GM was smart to use these circumstances to get a bit of a bargain.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Another possibly great move by Botterill. Low risk for possible great return. Beaulieu was not too long ago seen as a very good prospect.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Beaulieu's development was halted after Karlsson dusted him. Never the same player after that.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Seems like a bad trade for us, but I guess there are lots of unknown deals and discussions going on that might explain this move. I would've protected him before Benn.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Unless you're talking about a steak, prime and Beaulieu don't go together.

Beaulieu ''could'' wake up and breakout, and the trade could look good for buffalo down the road depending on how much money they commit to Beaulieu. He's got potential, but I agree with those of us mentioning his low hockey IQ. Best example was when he dove to save a puck on the powerplay and ended up giving a breakaway in the playoffs. (what a finish on the goal though!)

I think MB did not want to commit a lot of money to Beaulieu and that it was more of a message to the rest of the group. Beaulieu was a passenger here and was not part of the solution. Id rather try jerabek and play davidson and see where that takes us rather than another year of Beaulieu. my 2 cent.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
NHL player with some upside for a pick that has a very low likelihood of amounting to anything at the pro level. Hard not to characterize this as a win for Buffalo. If Housely can get more out of Beaulieu than the Habs did, it's a steal. If we get little out of him and have to cut our losses, we basically lost nothing.

didn't we just pay a third to have a conversation with Vesey? I think if he at least hits the ice in a Buffalo sweater this was a win for the Sabers. Sure we could have hit on that third, but the odds are that third never goes further than prospect camp.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Beaulieu ''could'' wake up and breakout, and the trade could look good for buffalo down the road depending on how much money they commit to Beaulieu. He's got potential, but I agree with those of us mentioning his low hockey IQ. Best example was when he dove to save a puck on the powerplay and ended up giving a breakaway in the playoffs. (what a finish on the goal though!)

I think MB did not want to commit a lot of money to Beaulieu and that it was more of a message to the rest of the group. Beaulieu was a passenger here and was not part of the solution. Id rather try jerabek and play davidson and see where that takes us rather than another year of Beaulieu. my 2 cent.

If you're blaming Beaulieu for getting a pass on to the shaft of his stick that bounced funny, and the only reason the player got a breakaway is because he caught a slapped puck out of midair, then I'll take your poor opinion of the player with a huge grain of salt and happily welcome him to another team for a 3rd round pick.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
If you're blaming Beaulieu for getting a pass on to the shaft of his stick that bounced funny, and the only reason the player got a breakaway is because he caught a slapped puck out of midair, then I'll take your poor opinion of the player with a huge grain of salt and happily welcome him to another team for a 3rd round pick.

Diving in that spot is pretty dumb and is what allowed that breakaway.

Playing it safe would have been the smart play.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

C'mon guy, D-men learn in Peewee not to take big chances like that when they are the last guy back. Not much excuse there, bad decision making.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Instead of dropping back after the puck bounced way out of his possession, he dove at the puck leading to a clean breakaway to one of the quicker players in the league breaking away. Those are the type of mistakes he makes all the time. Unaware of his surroundings and whose on the ice and making risky, often wreckless plays out of panic.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Well we're hours away from the deadline.. Vegas take Beaulieu 10 times out of 10. Some deals will be like this.

More interesting question now is, does Bogosian head to Vegas? Or do the Sabres pull the unexpected and protect him as well which would mean either Foligno or Larsson is out.

hahah omg.. I thought Beaulieu would at least fetch what Eller got last year lol

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007

your putting words in my mouth. His dive was a poor hockey play, that was overextending. A smarter player would fall back. that was just 1 example. I wish him well, still think he can break out, but he needs to mature.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I think Beaulieu will have a decent NHL career. I like the return for Montreal. I don't think the Habs wanted to sign Beaulieu - he's due for a raise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad