Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Jake McCabe Re-signed (3 years, $1.600M AAV)

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Why so cheap?
Isn't a he a promising top 4 dman in Buffalo. Just curious if some buffalo fans could chime in that would be cool.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He'll still have an RFA year left when the 3 years are up.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
That is outstanding.
He's definitely slotted for the 2nd pairing LHD. And rightfully so. Nice price to. This is opening things up for Risto, whom I suspect is looking at 6 x 6 or 7/7.5 x 8.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
That is outstanding.
He's definitely slotted for the 2nd pairing LHD. And rightfully so. Nice price to. This is opening things up for Risto, whom I suspect is looking at 6 x 6 or 7/7.5 x 8.

I love Riso but if that's what he is looking fot his contract could take a while to sort out.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Should be a steal coming up. Guy has been successful at every level and ideally should have played top minutes in the AHL last year

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I love Riso but if that's what he is looking fot his contract could take a while to sort out.

He deserves a bit more than what Seth Jones just got. If the Sabres want him for 7 or 8 years, those extra UFA years will only increase his cap hit.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Why so cheap?
Isn't a he a promising top 4 dman in Buffalo. Just curious if some buffalo fans could chime in that would be cool.

He's the weirdest combo of maturely raw that I've seen in a blueline prospect in a while.

To me, I see his situation as a "when" and not an "if" regarding him being a top four defenseman.

This is a major win for Buffalo.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
He deserves a bit more than what Seth Jones just got. If the Sabres want him for 7 or 8 years, those extra UFA years will only increase his cap hit.

I kind of forgot about the Jones deal. I agree he should get more than Jones if we go that long term. I don't think Murray is gonna go for that much term right off the bat.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Nice! I am willing to bet that this contract looks like an absolute Steal, maybe even as early as next season. McCabe has made pretty large leaps forward every season now. He was slotted for the AHL last season and forced his way onto the Sabres. He gave them absolutely no choice but to keep him with the big club.
I don't see any reason why he won't take another big step forward in the next couple seasons, especially with Terry Murray "the defense whisperer" coaching him up.

In 2 seasons I could se this contract talked about as one of the bigger steals in the NHL

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
bridge deal?? they are high on McCabe its why Pysyk was expendable imo

Absolutely. McCabe's giant step forward last season made Pysyk expendable. He went from behind Pysyk on the depth chart to well ahead of him in one season. McCabe has impressed me from day one. He looked like a legit NHL defenseman from his first NHL tryout years ago, and has only gotten better every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad