Proposal: Buf - edm

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
No thanks from the Sabres.

Ristolainen is two years younger and signed for one more season.

And if Buffalo trades Ristolainen, it's for a forward...they definitely don't need another RHD with Montour, Miller, Bogosian, Nelson, and Borgen.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Regardless of value, this trade doesn’t make sense for either side. Buffalo most likely looks at adding to their forward group in a trade involving Risto and the Oilers would like to add another rhd, not do a straight swap.

Reactions: Chainshot

Edison

Dec 1, 2017
Are we only ever allowed to have one RHD at a time, or...?

No thanks on Risto. Not for Larsson, not for RNH, just... no.
Risto is rhd. And i think he helps edmontons offensive problems. And Larsson helps buffalos def problems.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I would have loved Risto a few years ago but Bouchard could fill a similar role as soon as this year for much less. We don't have another tough minutes RHD if we Trade Larsson though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Risto is rhd. And i think he helps edmontons offensive problems. And Larsson helps buffalos def problems.

Yes, I’m aware. Trading Larsson for Risto doesn’t help us. Risto has cataclysmically struggled as a top pairing defenceman his entire career. Can’t defend to save his life. If we traded Larsson for him, wed have to play Risto on the top pair, where he’s been awful for years. Larsson had a tough year, but he was very good for the two years before that. Rather bank on him returning to form.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m not swapping Buffalo for Larsson. EDM would need to add.

We don’t want Risto. We definitely wouldn’t add to make a trade happen that we have no desire to see happen.

The guy is a 3/4 that’s been miscast on the top pairing his entire career. With Larsson gone he’d have to play top pairing here, too, I’m assuming with similarly poor results.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
As others have said, it makes no sense for either team. Oilers can’t afford to lose Larsson unless they were to bring another RHD in in addition to Ristolainen. Ristolainen has been forced into top-pairing minutes since practically the day he stepped into the NHL as a teenager and wouldn’t have any better of a situation in Edmonton with Larsson gone and him playing the same role there. I think he can be a great player in the right role, as a second-pairing guy.

Buffalo is loaded on defense and likely ships defense out and acquires offense and/or futures. Larsson’s a good player but not much better if any than what Buffalo already has on the right side.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yes, I’m aware. Trading Larsson for Risto doesn’t help us. Risto has cataclysmically struggled as a top pairing defenceman his entire career. Can’t defend to save his life. If we traded Larsson for him, wed have to play Risto on the top pair, where he’s been awful for years. Larsson had a tough year, but he was very good for the two years before that. Rather bank on him returning to form.

There is something in between “top pair” and “can’t defend to save his life.” You’ll find Risto there. One day he may develop into a top pairing player, but people (hf posters, I bet he’s highly valued by GMs) need to stop acting like he’s shit just because he’s not there yet (or ever)

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Risto could work very well for the Oilers but you shouldn’t make the same mistake as Sabres have done for years by running him into the ground with 25 hard matchup minutes per night.

Not interested in Larsson. No realistic option on the Edmonton roster to make this happen.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I’m not swapping Rist for Larsson. EDM would need to add.

You mean the Ristolainen that had the worst +/- in the entire league at -41? That almost doubled the 2nd worst (Tage Thompson -22) on the team?
Sure, he had 43 pts, that's decent, but he's not leaps and bounds better than Adam Larsson. Rasmus has never had a positive defensive stat in his entire NHL career. Prior to this season, Adam Larsson was a +46 in the previous 3 seasons (2 of which were on non-playoff teams). He is by far and away a better defender than Ristolainen

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You mean the Ristolainen that had the worst +/- in the entire league at -41? That almost doubled the 2nd worst (Tage Thompson -22) on the team?
Sure, he had 43 pts, that's decent, but he's not leaps and bounds better than Adam Larsson. Rasmus has never had a positive defensive stat in his entire NHL career. Prior to this season, Adam Larsson was a +46 in the previous 3 seasons (2 of which were on non-playoff teams). He is by far and away a better defender than Ristolainen

It's more than double the offensive production, and Risto has done that each of the last 4 seasons (landing in the top 30 for scoring among D each time). That's like saying McDavid wasn't "leaps and bounds" better than Jonathan Drouin. There's a world of difference in the offensive ability there.

Larsson is mostly a defensive D, I get that, but it's not like he's any less one-dimensional than Risto. But the thing is, Risto actually consistently produces offense--Larsson is all over the map season-to-season. Plus Risto is younger and has an additional year of team control.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Id have interest in Risto, but not at the price of Larsson.

Not even getting into the argument of their value vs. eachother.

Buffalo would be moving Risto because of the backlog on the right side of their defence, why would they bring on another RHD?

Edmonton on the other hand needs a 2nd RHD to go with Larrson. Swapping him for another one is borrowing from Pete to pay Paul.

If Buffalo wants picks and prospects, than I could see a fit here, as Edmonton is probably willing to offer up more on that front than most. However if they want scoring than the Oil don't have much to offer (of appropriate value). Risto isn't worth McDavid, Drai, or RNH; but he is worth a hell of a lot more than the next best scorer on the Oiler roster...

Reactions: TFHockey

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Both Buffalo and Edmonton need scoring. Buffalo is giving up their best offensive defender for a guy who doesn’t produce offense. Not trade partners. Something around Risto and RNH would interest Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad