Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] D Owen Power signs extension with the Sabres (7 years, $8.35M AAV)

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
4 goals and 31 assists gets you over 8 million? Am I doing this right?
Calder finalist and averaged 24 mins a game. 35 point defenseman at 19 without any PP1 minutes due to Dahlin.

I think these contracts will start to look good when players like Makar sign for $13M + when the cap rises

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Hopefully Buffalo doesn't bugger up this momentum by targeting past-their-prime veterans next summer, and then overpaying them on long term deals
They have an army of high-end talent developing in leagues around the world to fill out the roster around their core.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Buffalo is quickly closing in on New Jersey for most cap savvy moves with their young players. They have nearly all of their core pieces locked up long-term on deal that look good today and will likely look phenomenal as the cap rises in the future.

The strategy is sound, start with the big pieces and then fill in the gaps as they come up. I still have some questions about their overall roster construction, they need a little bit more quality depth. But it's hard not to love what they've been building.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Did Krebs fall off? Honest question.

I'm not sure "fall off" is the right term. He's never looked good on the wing while here in Buffalo and he's CLEARLY behind Tage, Cozens and Mittelstadt in the center order right now.

Could Krebs develop into a middle-6 center? Sure, absolutely. But he's competing with Mitts for that 3rd center spot.....and right now, I haven't seen enough to say that Krebs will ever overtake him.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I'm not sure "fall off" is the right term. He's never looked good on the wing while here in Buffalo and he's CLEARLY behind Tage, Cozens and Mittelstadt in the center order right now.

Could Krebs develop into a middle-6 center? Sure, absolutely. But he's competing with Mitts for that 3rd center spot.....and right now, I haven't seen enough to say that Krebs will ever overtake him.
Agree - if mitts explodes this year I bet he gets traded bc his salary will be an issue and krebs will be the 3c ( mitts + could get us that last D we need )

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Shades of Sanderson. $8.3 mill AAV and didn’t get that 8th season either.
I mean, I get it. I am just saying, the guy played one season (like sanderson) and you get a full extension after one great season? There are plenty of examples that people can come up with that shows this to be a bad idea. What if he never improves and becomes a mainstay on the 3rd pairing?

I don't think that would happen (with power or sanderson for that matter). One injury can derail this entire deal. I get why this could be great cap management for a potential elite player, that is not lost on me, but what if he just had a great first season because no one found tendencies during the year and now they have plenty to go off of?

From Power's side, I still don't think I would make that deal because the cap will explode pretty soon and he is going to be sitting there (let's say 2D) on the first or second pairing making 8 mil while his partner may not be as good and is making 9 (hypothetical of course). If I knew I was going to be a great player like Power, I would take a 3 year bridge, stat my way up on a pretty good team to get paid like I deserve with an improved cap situation. That's all I'm saying.

If both sides are ecstatic then great, I hope they stay happy with it. Personally, just not a fan.

With the Wings, we are going to need to pay Seider. This deal and Dahlin's proves he is going to get around 10 mil if he wants it. I would rather get him his 8 years at 10 mil now, than give him a 3 year bridge at 10-11 because he will 100% be the most paid on our team and well worth it. He has played two years, played 82 games both seasons, didn't drop in points, once they got rid of chiarot from his pairing, his +/- made an insane swing to the + side, he is a leader on the defense at 21/22 yrs old in a D-room of 26-35 year olds. All of that adds up to the value.

Regardless, as a Michigan fan, I hope Power becomes the next best defensemen ever, I just think after one season is a bit crazy to get an extension like that, thats all.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Superstar in the making, this contract is going to be disgusting in a few years, why did he sign this lol

I mean, I get it. I am just saying, the guy played one season (like sanderson) and you get a full extension after one great season? There are plenty of examples that people can come up with that shows this to be a bad idea. What if he never improves and becomes a mainstay on the 3rd pairing?

I don't think that would happen (with power or sanderson for that matter). One injury can derail this entire deal. I get why this could be great cap management for a potential elite player, that is not lost on me, but what if he just had a great first season because no one found tendencies during the year and now they have plenty to go off of?

From Power's side, I still don't think I would make that deal because the cap will explode pretty soon and he is going to be sitting there (let's say 2D) on the first or second pairing making 8 mil while his partner may not be as good and is making 9 (hypothetical of course). If I knew I was going to be a great player like Power, I would take a 3 year bridge, stat my way up on a pretty good team to get paid like I deserve with an improved cap situation. That's all I'm saying.

If both sides are ecstatic then great, I hope they stay happy with it. Personally, just not a fan.

With the Wings, we are going to need to pay Seider. This deal and Dahlin's proves he is going to get around 10 mil if he wants it. I would rather get him his 8 years at 10 mil now, than give him a 3 year bridge at 10-11 because he will 100% be the most paid on our team and well worth it. He has played two years, played 82 games both seasons, didn't drop in points, once they got rid of chiarot from his pairing, his +/- made an insane swing to the + side, he is a leader on the defense at 21/22 yrs old in a D-room of 26-35 year olds. All of that adds up to the value.

Regardless, as a Michigan fan, I hope Power becomes the next best defensemen ever, I just think after one season is a bit crazy to get an extension like that, thats all.
I'm REALLY curious what Seider is going to get, a guy a work with is a huge wings fan and I always praise Seider dude is f***ing awesome.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Superstar in the making, this contract is going to be disgusting in a few years, why did he sign this lol

I'm REALLY curious what Seider is going to get, a guy a work with is a huge wings fan and I always praise Seider dude is f***ing awesome.
If he really is going to be a superstar, he needs to look for better representation. 8 years this young right before the cap is about to skyrocket, idk. I think he saw the total number of $'s he was getting and got excited. I mean, I would too, but I would hope my agent would talk to me about the potential. I'm sure he did, but I probably would have tried to convince a bit more lol.

Seider just plays like he is 28 in his prime and he is only 22. McDavid/Mathews etc. have tried to go around him or use their body and it never works, he just stick checks them then drives them into the boards. He doesn't care what your name is. His first season, after the whistle, he took the puck from Hedman and Hedman hit him with his stick and looked like he was trying to intimidate Seider. Seider just stepped up and looked like he wanted all the smoke. Others on TB intervened as detroit had no one to do so lol. He is built for playoffs and can't wait until we finally get back there to unleash the world on a playoff Seider. Going to be ridiculous.

When Larkin retires, Seider will probably take the C from him, even if it is for a short amount of years if any.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Having watched a couple of Owen Power games, I'm a believer. He has elite skill. What will be crucial is that these huge skill players (Power, Dahlin, Cozens, Tage, etc) buy in to the whole team concept. So far their contracts signal that they are buying in off the ice. Buffalo for me is the team best positioned for long-term success, even more than New Jersey, but they also have to make the dance and prove they're a winning team.

I like this contract. I don't think it's a steal, and there is certainly risk involved, but I think it's a fair deal. It certainly could be a steal in future years, but no one can say at this point.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
If he really is going to be a superstar, he needs to look for better representation. 8 years this young right before the cap is about to skyrocket, idk. I think he saw the total number of $'s he was getting and got excited. I mean, I would too, but I would hope my agent would talk to me about the potential. I'm sure he did, but I probably would have tried to convince a bit more lol.

Seider just plays like he is 28 in his prime and he is only 22. McDavid/Mathews etc. have tried to go around him or use their body and it never works, he just stick checks them then drives them into the boards. He doesn't care what your name is. His first season, after the whistle, he took the puck from Hedman and Hedman hit him with his stick and looked like he was trying to intimidate Sedier. Seider just stepped up and looked like he wanted all the smoke. Others on TB intervened as detroit had no one to do so lol. He is built for playoffs and can't wait until we finally get back there to unleash the world on a playoff Seider. Going to be ridiculous.
Seider is a bad mother f***er, I know that, I love his game A LOT, but he doesn't get the same praise that a lot of the top young D's get. Dude's gonna be a monster. I'm a Flyers fan, I feel like Seider is what we thought Provorov was going to be.. SUCKS ASS for us. but yeah he's f***ing awesome, IDK who I even compare him to. And yeah I told my co-worker (big wings fan) I'm like I really think Detroit is a low seed but makes it and it'll be great for all their young guys, they need to see playoff hockey for sure. But as a Flyers fan watching them sweep us in the 90's in the cup when we had Lindros, I hope they fail for sure XD. Seider the player is sick though.

Having watched a couple of Owen Power games, I'm a believer. He has elite skill. What will be crucial is that these huge skill players (Power, Dahlin, Cozens, Tage, etc) buy in to the whole team concept. So far their contracts signal that they are buying in off the ice. Buffalo for me is the team best positioned for long-term success, even more than New Jersey, but they also have to make the dance and prove they're a winning team.

I like this contract. I don't think it's a steal, and there is certainly risk involved, but I think it's a fair deal. It certainly could be a steal in future years, but no one can say at this point.
It's crazy to realize Buffalo probably has the best future in the NHL lol.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Phaneuf was amazing as a rookie as well. I dont think people are saying those 2 kids in power and Sanderson will be bad players but they may not develop into top end guys. If they end up being very good #2 it may be a bit high to pay them. Don’t have a lot to go on.
I get the J Hughes deal as there was a tonne of upside for NJ to bet on and after 1 year on the deal they seemed to have made a great bet. I do not believe the upside is going to be as high for the 2 Dmen.

There is also expectation. Dak Prescott in the nfl looks great when he’s on a rookie deal at under $1 mill. At $40 mill expect more.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Seider is a bad mother f***er, I know that, I love his game A LOT, but he doesn't get the same praise that a lot of the top young D's get. Dude's gonna be a monster. I'm a Flyers fan, I feel like Seider is what we thought Provorov was going to be.. SUCKS ASS for us. but yeah he's f***ing awesome, IDK who I even compare him to. And yeah I told my co-worker (big wings fan) I'm like I really think Detroit is a low seed but makes it and it'll be great for all their young guys, they need to see playoff hockey for sure. But as a Flyers fan watching them sweep us in the 90's in the cup when we had Lindros, I hope they fail for sure XD. Seider the player is sick though.

It's crazy to realize Buffalo probably has the best future in the NHL lol.
Honestly, Seider doesn't get that much praise (outside of the calder that he definitely deserved, bias aside) and I am fine with it. I'd rather people just find out when it's too late already (fans-wise). Back in the day, he could be compared to like a Konstintinov/Probert type where he has that gritty/don't piss me off type demeanor. He has offensive skill too that people don't give him credit for either, but I am totally fine with him just being the guy clearing the front of the net because he can and let Walman (his main partner) do the scoring as he is good at that too.

I don't care if we make the playoffs on the last day or secure a spot a month out, if we lose in the first round 4-0 I still will believe it was worth it because we need to see Seider, Larkin, Raymond, and probably Edvinsson by then, with playoff experience. They need to feel that difference to propel them up. That is probably why Buffalo has not lifted themselves up into the next category because they have the players, the problem is the mindset hasn't shifted to playoff mindset.

Buffalo is going to be good and i hate it, but tage is a superstar and I hope our prospect Soderblom (6'8") gets close to his progression offensively. If Tuch would stay healthy and they get a goalie that is steady enough, they'll do some damage in the playoffs.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Phaneuf was amazing as a rookie as well. I dont think people are saying those 2 kids in power and Sanderson will be bad players but they may not develop into top end guys. If they end up being very good #2 it may be a bit high to pay them. Don’t have a lot to go on.
I get the J Hughes deal as there was a tonne of upside for NJ to bet on and after 1 year on the deal they seemed to have made a great bet. I do not believe the upside is going to be as high for the 2 Dmen.

There is also expectation. Dak Prescott in the nfl looks great when he’s on a rookie deal at under $1 mill. At $40 mill expect more.
I honestly can’t take this seriously Phaneuf as a prospect and player are literally nowhere near Power, this looks like a post from someone that hasn’t watched Power enough as a prospect and NHL player to make a post like this, and I’m not trying to be rude. I’m like 90%+ sure this will be an absolute steal barring severe injury.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

This probably hits the nail on the head for me for the most part.

Jack Hughes is going to be an offensive superstar, no doubt, so sure the contract is good. Like you said, if Power and Sanderson live to the hype, then the deals are steals and they'll probably be upset with themselves because they lost a lot of career earning potential, but if they turn out to be pretty good - above average, then it'll be a hell of a time to trade them because of their contracts. Kind of like Tyler Myers tbh.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Honestly, Seider doesn't get that much praise (outside of the calder that he definitely deserved, bias aside) and I am fine with it. I'd rather people just find out when it's too late already (fans-wise). Back in the day, he could be compared to like a Konstintinov/Probert type where he has that gritty/don't piss me off type demeanor. He has offensive skill too that people don't give him credit for either, but I am totally fine with him just being the guy clearing the front of the net because he can and let Walman (his main partner) do the scoring as he is good at that too.

I don't care if we make the playoffs on the last day or secure a spot a month out, if we lose in the first round 4-0 I still will believe it was worth it because we need to see Seider, Larkin, Raymond, and probably Edvinsson by then, with playoff experience. They need to feel that difference to propel them up. That is probably why Buffalo has not lifted themselves up into the next category because they have the players, the problem is the mindset hasn't shifted to playoff mindset.

Buffalo is going to be good and i hate it, but tage is a superstar and I hope our prospect Soderblom (6'8") gets close to his progression offensively. If Tuch would stay healthy and they get a goalie that is steady enough, they'll do some damage in the playoffs.
Yeah you need your young guys to get in, and feel it, even if they're not winning, just to understand this is what it's like, it's another animal for sure. Seider is a 1D imo, you guys need a few pieces but you'll get there for sure.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad