Jun 13, 2007
Pittsburgh
Boston:
RW Chris Stewart 50% salary retained
1st round pick in 2015 via St.Louis

Buffalo
G Malcolm Subban
2nd Round Pick in 2015 via The Islanders

To me the rebuild is missing a star goalie Boston seems set in net & need big time help up front.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Boston:
RW Chris Stewart 50% salary retained
1st round pick in 2015 via St.Louis

Buffalo
G Malcolm Subban
2nd Round Pick in 2015 via The Islanders

To me the rebuild is missing a star goalie Boston seems set in net & need big time help up front.

Not bad.

But.. I'd rather not give up a 1st.

Maybe Stewart 50% retained and a 2nd from us for Subban all alone?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Subban will need the AHL again next year and Ulmark will be in Rochester too. Imrealize Ulmark has taken a step back, but he can rebound. I'm not giving up a 1st when I think I have a goalie from the same draft that might be a future starter.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
is that philadelphia's 2nd round pick? Montreal's? I definitely like the idea of having somebody like Subban or Fucale competing with Ullmark in Rochester. Healthy competition for sure.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Not bad.

But.. I'd rather not give up a 1st.

Maybe Stewart 50% retained and a 2nd from us for Subban all alone?

I'd go the other way.

Subban was 2012 Rd1 #24.

This year's draft deeper, so

BUF 2015 Rd2 for Subban, stand alone. (Estimate 31st or 32nd pick.)

Stewart +50% for NYI 2015 Rd2 thru BOS, stand alone. (Estimate ~55th pick.)

wheelklown

Dec 19, 2014
Batavia, NY
We already have NYI 2015 2nd rd pick, Boston has theirs and Philly's.

I would do Stewart 50% & NYI 2nd for Subban.

And IIRC, Ullmark doesnt HAVE to come over next year, he can stay across the pond another year if it suits his development more.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
not interested in trading a high pick for a goalie

keep drafting some in the later rounds and one of them will be fine

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
We already have NYI 2015 2nd rd pick, Boston has theirs and Philly's.

I would do Stewart 50% & NYI 2nd for Subban.

And IIRC, Ullmark doesnt HAVE to come over next year, he can stay across the pond another year if it suits his development more.

I thought I remember someone saying that he is under contract for another 2 years. For whatever it's worth.

According to eliteprospects.com, his contract runs through 16/17. I'm not sure the repercussions regarding a contract dip to come over (if any) but it's probably more or less his call.

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I thought I remember someone saying that he is under contract for another 2 years. For whatever it's worth.

According to eliteprospects.com, his contract runs through 16/17. I'm not sure the repercussions regarding a contract dip to come over (if any) but it's probably more or less his call.

Eliteprospects is displaying the term of Ullmark's NHL contract there. Eliteprospects does supply this link: http://www.modohockey.se/artikel/30898/ however, which indicates that in November of 2012, Ullmark signed an extension with MODO through 2014-2015 (this season)

ZeroPT*

why trade a proper asset for a goalie prospect? Just trade a 2nd+ for a guy like Talbot and keep taking shots in the dark in rounds 4-7.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Eliteprospects is displaying the term of Ullmark's NHL contract there. Eliteprospects does supply this link: http://www.modohockey.se/artikel/30898/ however, which indicates that in November of 2012, Ullmark signed an extension with MODO through 2014-2015 (this season)

Good eye as usual. I mistook the NHL contract for his Modo contract.

Yea it's silly to trade anything for a goalie prospect. So hit or miss. Suburban is intriguing though. Pair of 3rds?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I prefer at least three of our current goalie prospects to Subban...there's no reason to consider dropping a first on his services. Niemi and Bishop are both available in free agency, either of them would be a fine addition while one of the kids develops to starter ability.

Or we could get the guy who just shut us out pretty easily...

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Subban's pretty good. I'd be OK giving a 2nd up for him, with Stewart being pretty immaterial to me so throw him in, maybe send a mid-round pick back. He'd be our best goalie prospect, though he's only in his 2nd pro year so it's not like he's a sure thing. I'd prefer trading for a young guy ready to be an NHL starter like Jones a la Bernie and Bishop. Next year Subban could be ready for a back-up spot though.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Subban's pretty good. I'd be OK giving a 2nd up for him, with Stewart being pretty immaterial to me so throw him in, maybe send a mid-round pick back. He'd be our best goalie prospect, though he's only in his 2nd pro year so it's not like he's a sure thing. I'd prefer trading for a young guy ready to be an NHL starter like Jones a la Bernie and Bishop. Next year Subban could be ready for a back-up spot though.

My sentiments exactly. It's not like Boston needs one, with Khudobin and Svedberg being developed properly. He's an unnecessary asset, that I would imagine could be moved. I guess my question is: Do you give up an asset for half a season of a player not having a great year? The deadline will tell.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
That's not a bad trade offer from OP.

Subban is ready for his shot but we've taken our time with goalies and has proven to be working.. Rask, Chad, Dobey, Sveddy and now Subban

We won't be giving him away ..so guy's suggesting a rental and 2nd rnd pick won't get it done.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Subban is ready for his shot but we've taken our time with goalies and has proven to be working.. Rask, Chad, Dobey, Sveddy and now Subban

We won't be giving him away ..so guy's suggesting a rental and 2nd rnd pick won't get it done.

Fair enough but that's his value to me. I don't believe in goaltending prospects being worth 1sts unless they're exceptional (Vasilevski), not until they've played in the NHL. I wouldn't give up the Islanders or Blues pick for him. The closest I'd do is near-equivalent value in non-1st picks.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I guess it depends on how serious Boston is about the post season this year. I know they're not in bad shape but underachieving all the same. Stewart is a bit of a luxury really. He could step in and not produce but will assert some physicality and at worse, some speed skill from time to time. Boston could let him walk no strings attached. Or, maybe he'll step in and flourish, score some timely playoff goals, strong on both ends and could be resigned for not a ton. Weight that against a luxury Boston isn't currently using and may not ever use. Perhaps you could argue Rask's value in a year or two when (if) Subban is ready but those top tier goalies aren't often moved in their prime.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

In what world is a rental winger and a 2nd rounder a throw away?

Especially for a prospect goalie. It's already an upgrade on where he was selected in the draft, and his stock hasn't changed much. He's still considered a good prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad