NFL: Bucs fire Lovie Smith

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Sad to see Lovie fired again.

Dumb move IMO, not sure who they expect to get that's better.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Team seemed headed in right direction so this is odd

Lovie isn't type of coach who can get a team from point B to point C but he can certainly get a team from point A to point B

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
They'll do a couple interviews then announce Koetter. Apparently the Dolphins and 49ers among others were sniffing around Koetter and the Glazers lost faith in Lovie which led to the firing. They could have at least fired him face to face instead of over the phone.

Last edited:

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
As a Bucs fan, I'm glad that Lovie is gone. He had two years in Tampa and brought no improvement. The only reason we did better this year was:

1. Jameis Winston
2. Dirk Koetter
3. Doug Martin
4. One of the easiest schedule in the league thanks to the NFC East and AFC South.

As for the rest of the team, they did not improve. At all. In fact, I'd argue they were regressing. No team discipline, mediocre turnover differentials, bad clock management, no tackling, rosters decisions that made no sense...

I'm tired of constantly changing head coaches, but Lovie was not the HC to keep. Greg Schiano was. I made some charts about key team stats comparing Raheem Morris, Greg Schiano and Lovie Smith.

7xAf6y3.png

Lovie thinks a good defense is one that create turnovers. He also preaches ball security on offense. In spite of that, the Bucs took a massive nosedive in turnover differential once Lovie came in.

CZBaUX4.png

Team discipline is getting worse. Even 2011 Raheem Morris, who the players totally gave up on him, did better.

96EuhjP.png

Here's where the Bucs are improving. On offense, where Lovie has no say.

620mOTy.png

In spite of all the distractions that happened around the team, Schiano was building a very good defense. Lovie took that defense and brought it back to total mediocrity.

I don't feel like their defense has a whole lot of talent though. Some players here and there but a lot of spare parts on the field.

Lovie is responsable for the lack of talent on defense though. He cut Darelle Revis so he could sign busts like Michael Johnson and Alterraun Verner. He brought back Chris Conte and Major Wright even when he knew they were terrible. This season, he did not play our only competent cornerback for half a season so he could play scrubs like Tim Jennings and Mike Jenkins.

Before Lovie came in, Schiano's defense was doing much better.

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
That's also on the GM for being so reliant on free agents. How often does that work?

Lovie was mostly responsable for the free agent class in the 2014 offseason as Licht was building his scouting staff and preparing the draft. Lovie is the one who handpicked guys like Josh McCown, Michael Johnson, Mike Jenkins and Alterraun Verner. I don't remember if it was Lovie or Licht who brought in Anthony Collins, another massive flop.

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
Thats on the GM for spending all your teams recent high picks on offense.

Lovie liked his defensive line and he doesn't like to use high picks on LBs and DBs because he thinks his coverage schemes are too complex for youngs players. He was totally okay with the idea of spending most of our picks on offense.

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
They'll do a couple interviews then announce Koetter. Apparently the Dolphins and 49ers among others were sniffing around Koetter and the Glazers lost faith in Lovie which led to the firing. They could have at least fired him face to face instead of over the phone.

They planned to fire Lovie face-to-face today, but he sensed what was coming when they called to set up the meeting.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
David is on to something. With the turnover for head coaches being so frequent it's not surprising the players don't trust or respect their coaches and staff.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sucks to see him go but they had too otherwise it seems like they were guaranteed to lose Koetter, who they absolutely adore. Apparently he'll get the job within the next couple days.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ignorant decision

Literally no reason to sack him

Yea there was a perfectly good reason too, promote your OC who is close with you franchise #1 pick QB, or lose him and watch your budding offence (Evans, Winston, Martin, Sefarin-Jenkins) struggle. Bucs D got worse under Smith.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
My Dad is stoked. He loathed Lovie lol.

I wrote a big thing about both the offense and defense but honestly I just don't care. There's too many holes on both sides that need fixing and getting a new head coach and starting this process all over again for the 4th time in less than a decade just sets us back again. Whatever.
"The rebuilding is over"

- Mark Dominik, 2012.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So apparently the Dolphins interest in Koetter spooked the Bucs into firing Lovie and likely naming him HC. I'm sure they are "conducting interviews" just to save face and not make this look too bad.

Seems the Glazers were pissed about only 3 home wins in his two years at the helm and the losing streak at the end of this season.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
So apparently the Dolphins interest in Koetter spooked the Bucs into firing Lovie and likely naming him HC. I'm sure they are "conducting interviews" just to save face and not make this look too bad.

Seems the Glazers were pissed about only 3 home wins in his two years at the helm and the losing streak at the end of this season.
Bucs played pretty well this season when nothing was on the line. Garbage in most games that mattered though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad