Boston Herald Buckley: Bruins should not focus on Presidents’ Trophy

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
Not anymore. The days of home ice advantage are long gone. Parity and standardized rinks have finished off home ice advantage.

Here is an article from last year that uses numbers to back up your claim. Essentially, there is no home ice advantage in the NHL. Of the four major sports in North America, home ice advantage provides the worst advantage in the NHL.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I disagree 100%.

Home ice is everything.
Disagree to a degree with respect. While I do think that playing at home has it`s advantages, sleep in your own bed, have a routine, know the rink/boards, have the home fans pumped, the good to excellent teams play the same way on the road as they do at home and if you look at our boys, I believe they`ve only lost 2-3 more games on the road. I actually feel their game on the road tends to be far more focused, simple and precise. I find, as entertained as I have been with them this year that when home, they almost try too hard to make that NHL 18 play too often, get a bit cute.

Now, that said, there are most definitely teams who when playing at home are appear far more comfortable, take our likely first round opponents as a great example. Leafs have lost almost twice the number of games on the road as they do at home. I would prefer the B`s start at home but I don`t think it`s a massive issue if they wind up not having home ice advantage

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
To me it's not the thing to be focused on.
Just play out the string. Rest players if they need it. Let the standing chips fall where they may.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I wouldn't mind them coasting to the finish.

But as we have seen so many times in the past, teams think they can just hit that switch and start playing playoff hockey, and it never seems to work that way.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Here is an article from last year that uses numbers to back up your claim. Essentially, there is no home ice advantage in the NHL. Of the four major sports in North America, home ice advantage provides the worst advantage in the NHL.

Interesting article...but I'm a little skeptical. The article just looks at the outcome, and science says you should look behind the numbers for a mechanism that causes any statistical differences - correlation doesn't imply causation. (Taller children are better at spelling - there's a correlation. But it's not the causation - the causation is that the taller kids are in the 8th grade, and the shorter ones are in 1st.)

And in terms of a mechanism for home field/ice/court advantage, I would 100% believe that, in an individual game, there's a mechanism for baseball, hockey, and football that goes beyond mere "sleeping in your own bed/travel exhaustion" and "crowd noise", which should be sort of similar in all sports. Baseball - every diamond is different. Hockey - last change lets you match lines. Football - weather effects, domed/outdoor stadiums, type of turf. Now, I'll admit, I don't know every rule in basketball - when they substitute (which happens far less frequently), does home team get last substitution? But from an intuitive standpoint, home court advantage in basketball should be the smallest, and yet it's the largest.

That said, I just feel like we have our boots in concrete in terms of the standings - it'll be tough to go up or down.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Interesting article...but I'm a little skeptical. The article just looks at the outcome, and science says you should look behind the numbers for a mechanism that causes any statistical differences - correlation doesn't imply causation. (Taller children are better at spelling - there's a correlation. But it's not the causation - the causation is that the taller kids are in the 8th grade, and the shorter ones are in 1st.)

And in terms of a mechanism for home field/ice/court advantage, I would 100% believe that, in an individual game, there's a mechanism for baseball, hockey, and football that goes beyond mere "sleeping in your own bed/travel exhaustion" and "crowd noise", which should be sort of similar in all sports. Baseball - every diamond is different. Hockey - last change lets you match lines. Football - weather effects, domed/outdoor stadiums, type of turf. Now, I'll admit, I don't know every rule in basketball - when they substitute (which happens far less frequently), does home team get last substitution? But from an intuitive standpoint, home court advantage in basketball should be the smallest, and yet it's the largest.

That said, I just feel like we have our boots in concrete in terms of the standings - it'll be tough to go up or down.
All I know is if the first round series against the Leafs goes 7 games , I would prefer that game be on home ice . I don’t really care the rest of the way but against the Leafs I think it could have some importance .

Reactions: Bruin1970

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
All I know is if the first round series against the Leafs goes 7 games , I would prefer that game be on home ice . I don’t really care the rest of the way but against the Leafs I think it could have some importance .

This is one series where I think home ice will be very important, I don't normally feel that way when it comes to hockey, but for some reason I think this one will be.

Bruin1970

Feb 23, 2018
Counterpoint:

More enjoyable counterpoint:

Yes....2 games from 7 years ago+ makes the argument.

here is Toronto's record- THIS YEAR
Home 25-8-2Away 18-15-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Also, I doubt they beat Tampa in a 7 game series if they have home ice.

The point is moot- they are not catching Tampa now after choking against Florida and Columbus, and they will definitely not catch Nashville.

Last edited:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Home 25-8-2Away 18-15-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The point is moot- they are not catching Tampa now after choking against Florida and Columbus.

The first game is from four years ago, the last time we had this debate and they actually did win the President's Trophy.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Home 25-8-2Away 18-15-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The point is moot- they are not catching Tampa now after choking against Florida and Columbus, and they will definitely not catch Nashville.

They don't need to win the President's Trophy to have home ice against Toronto. They are comfortably ahead of them.

Tampa and Boston are both essentially just as good at home as they are on the road. Home ice is not the game changer in that series

Reactions: gillesgilbert

Bruin1970

Feb 23, 2018
The first game is from four years ago, the last time we had this debate and they actually did win the President's Trophy.

Fair enough- and they choked that year. Not saying it is fool-proof. But it is a legitimate advantage. I can't see why anyone thinks that a game 7 in Boston is not an advantage. The debate is not relevant anymore anyway.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Home 25-8-2Away 18-15-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The point is moot- they are not catching Tampa now after choking against Florida and Columbus.
I only have my intuition to base this on but I don’t feel home ice would be much of a factor in a Bruins - Tampa series . The Bruins seem to matchup well against Tampa although the sample size is pretty small .

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Fair enough- and they choked that year. Not saying it is fool-proof. But it is a legitimate advantage. I can't see why anyone thinks that a game 7 in Boston is not an advantage. The debate is not relevant anymore anyway.

Did anyone say it's not better to have it? I haven't read every post so I'm not sure. I only responded to you because you said it is "everything." I think it's nice, but being healthy and rested is far more important.

Bruin1970

Feb 23, 2018
They don't need to win the President's Trophy to have home ice against Toronto. They are comfortably ahead of them.

Tampa and Boston are both essentially just as good at home as they are on the road. Home ice is not the game changer in that series

I disagree- and respect your opinion. We need every advantage we can get in a Tampa series.They are still the team to beat. Anyway, in my mind, as long as we get Home ice if we ever (God forbid) face Washington I'm happy.

Bruin1970

Feb 23, 2018
Did anyone say it's not better to have it? I haven't read every post so I'm not sure. I only responded to you because you said it is "everything." I think it's nice, but being healthy and rested is far more important.

Fair enough. The playoffs are different from the regular season. Also, "resting" is sort of what they are doing. They are injured. When they come back they will be rusty. I definitely see resting Chara, and letting Bergeron heal. I respect peoples opinion on this, I just feel that they have a very good change of going 7 with any of these teams mentioned. I wouldn't play injured players to try and squeak in to Home ice...but I still wish they hadn't choked in the race against Tampa. They keep getting caught unprepared in games they should be winning. Coming back is fun to watch, but not a sign of a good playoff team. We will see.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Home ice is ideal.

Our injury situation has been nuts. The toughest hockey is yet to be played and there’s some pretty important players that will be coming off injury or not fully healed when that time comes. The priority has to be whatever you can control to give you the healthiest team possible for the playoffs, IMO.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I disagree- and respect your opinion. We need every advantage we can get in a Tampa series.They are still the team to beat. Anyway, in my mind, as long as we get Home ice if we ever (God forbid) face Washington I'm happy.

Considering we just dominated Tampa with a severely depleted lineup, I think at the very least them and the Bruins are about even.

We'll likely have home ice over anyone in the East other than Tampa and even that is still very possible. I would like home ice but I don't believe it's important enough to sell out health for.

Edit- Just saw your other post where you say you wish they hadn't choked in the race against Tampa. I vehemently disagree with the idea that they've choked. Forget the fact that the race isn't even close to being over... look at the guys they are missing. That's not choking.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Fair enough. The playoffs are different from the regular season. Also, "resting" is sort of what they are doing. They are injured. When they come back they will be rusty. I definitely see resting Chara, and letting Bergeron heal. I respect peoples opinion on this, I just feel that they have a very good change of going 7 with any of these teams mentioned. I wouldn't play injured players to try and squeak in to Home ice...but I still wish they hadn't choked in the race against Tampa. They keep getting caught unprepared in games they should be winning. Coming back is fun to watch, but not a sign of a good playoff team. We will see.
I agree , they really could have won those games against Florida and Columbus but not sure “ choked “ is the ideal word to use when they have so many key injuries . And on the flip side did you really anticipate them defeating Tampa 3-0 in Tampa ? I think it’s a lost cause now , Tampa will finish ahead of them .

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I agree , they really could have won those games against Florida and Columbus but not sure “ choked “ is the ideal word to use when they have so many key injuries . And on the flip side did you really anticipate them defeating Tampa 3-0 in Tampa ? I think it’s a lost cause now , Tampa will finish ahead of them .

Why is it a lost cause? Still 2 games against Tampa, plus two games in hand. They control their own destiny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad