Prospect Info: BSH: Flyers Midterm 25 Under 25 Update

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Do you also have Lacyznksi ahead of Leier? Because Leier hasn't played any better in the AHL this season than Laughton has, and they're the same age. Laughton has also shown more in the NHL than Leier has.

Yes, I value Laczynski ahead of Leier quite easily. IMO, the check mark is on Laczynski's side in almost every category when comparing the two.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They have Scott Laughton slotted at 11th today. I'd say this is one of the most egregious rankings.

As far as young centers go, he's ahead of Rubtsov, which is hilarious.

Also, Vorobyov barely makes the list, and it's not even debatable who I'd rather have in the organization between Laughton and him. Vorobyov wins in a landslide. I can't even imagine a rational argument for Laughton here.

Laughton is not the same player we drafted. He just hasn't rebounded from his concussions. Laczynski didn't even make there top 25. Yet, I'd argue he is another center I'd take my chances with over Laughton. Laczynski has shown very well, not only in college but for USA both in the Summer Showcase and in the WJC's. He has a nice skill set, good size, is super versatile, and smart.

Outside of a few, they only watch the Flyers and maybe the Phantoms (or just gifs). Again, I'm not slamming them for it -- most don't. You just have to understand they don't watch these guys.

Laughton is the forward equivalent of Hagg with the added component of having some offensive NHL flashes on the wing while having a defensive rep that no longer can see reality in a telescope. He's made for being overrated on this list.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Go down to see the details of how individuals slotted them in today, and there's some......curious choices to say the least.

Ugggh, I just looked. Some guy named Joe has Sanheim 14th. !@@#$##!!!#$$@!!!!

I'm also looking forward to seeing some of the names voters have ahead of Philippe Myers. Apparently people just have there head in the sand.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ugggh, I just looked. Some guy named Joe has Sanheim 14th. !@@#$##!!!#$$@!!!!

I'm also looking forward to seeing some of the names individuals have ahead of Philippe Myers. Apparently people just have there head in the sand.

He has Alex Lyon above both Sanheim AND Myers actually. Someone had Robert Hagg above Myers (I believe the same person didn't have Myers ranked in pre-season). Laughton above Myers. You already mentioned Rubtsov, and there's plenty other examples. That's not "room for debate" territory....LoD already perfectly described the rankings on the last page.

I really like BSH and will read every analytical and post-game article religiously. I just wish this was done more scrupulously, given its hyped up presence on the site and the many readers who only know prospects from afar (not just readers apparently) who take it at face value. There are a few people who ranked the prospects that have an idea, but with some particular people on the Flyers Twittersphere who actually do know prospects, I would prefer they voted instead. I think it would provide more of a service to the readers. Also, I just hate that established NHLers are ranked. They'll always be at the top and it pushes others off the list. Flyers prospect pool is so deep now it isn't needed.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, I value Laczynski ahead of Leier quite easily. IMO, the check mark is on Laczynski's side in almost every category when comparing the two.

I'll admit my viewings are limited, but based on what I've seen and read there's a sizable gap in skating. Not that he's awful, but Leier is a plus skater. Something like that is enough to limit NHL upside unless it improves.

And I'm not arguing for one to be over the other, my opinion when comparing the two is worthless due to lack of viewings of Laczynski (I've seen a lot of Leier), I'm just giving my two cents.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I figured Weal at 15 would be the most controversial. I'm not even sure if that guy will be with the Flyers next year. On that alone I wouldn't really rank him that high or even rank him at all from my perspective.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I didn't rank Weal for the obvious.

I'll admit my viewings are limited, but based on what I've seen and read there's a sizable gap in skating. Not that he's awful, but Leier is a plus skater. Something like that is enough to limit NHL upside unless it improves.

And I'm not arguing for one to be over the other, my opinion when comparing the two is worthless due to lack of viewings of Laczynski (I've seen a lot of Leier), I'm just giving my two cents.

Laczynski needs work on his first few strides, but he also put on a lot of weight in the last year+ and is a respectable skater in stride, and he's 19. Projecting growth there, and it's mostly just strength, is very doable from my vantage point. I like Leier just fine as a 4th line buzz-saw type, but Laczynski is more skilled, as intelligent, and is bigger and plays bigger (his puck strength and balance is rock solid, even against older college guys). And he is more versatile in position. Leier is also 3.5 years older. Laczynski has the advantage in pretty much everything but skating, and he's not poor there either....it seems fixable to me with time to say his ceiling is higher.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Laczynski needs work on his first few strides, but he also put on a lot of weight in the last year+ and is a respectable skater in stride, and he's 19. Projecting growth there, and it's mostly just strength, is very doable from my vantage point. I like Leier just fine as a 4th line buzz-saw type, but Laczynski is more skilled, as intelligent, and is bigger and plays bigger (his puck strength and balance is rock solid, even against older college guys). And he is more versatile in position. Leier is also 3.5 years older. Laczynski has the advantage in pretty much everything but skating, and he's not poor there either....it seems fixable to me with time to say his ceiling is higher.

I see. Well, like I said, I don't get to watch him much. I was just going on what I saw during the WJC and read online. I don't doubt that he's skilled and has higher potential than Leier.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia

As with Striiker, my viewings of Laczynski in numbers don't pale in comparison to what I've seen of Leier, who's a guy I've been particularly promoting for over 4 seasons.

I have to say that while I can't comment on a comparison of their intelligence, I can easily say that Leier's intelligence on the ice has always been the primary reason for his success. He's never stood out as particularly skillful and he's not really a playmaker. But his skating was always good and continued improving as a pro, which has been the primary factor for his skillset translating to this level. He sees the net well, too.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I do like Leier for the player he is. Heck, I wish he was at 4LW now...

I also think besides his skating, his compete and intelligence are his best assets. I actually tried to be careful with how I worded it. I said that I think Laczynski is "as intelligent," because I weigh both highly in that department and didn't want to shortchange Leier.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Regarding Allison, I've got him penciled into a general forward tier with Lindblom and Rubtsov. Seen less of him than the latter two there, but I absolutely love what he brings to our pool. He'd likely be crushing it in the CHL and while I can't say I know enough about college hockey to compare them for certain in development, I really don't think it would have been at all a lesser option to play in the CHL and I think he'd be ready to enter the pros as a rookie next season. My one legit complaint about college is that it's not enough hockey and I prefer the online streaming exposure of the CHL. Wade is an absolute beast of a prospect though and we haven't had a guy like him in our system for a long time. To compare him to recent Flyers, he goes into a category with guys like Simmonds and Hartnell. The contents and uniqueness of his skillset to go with his LW status will definitely get him fair looks at proving himself.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
WMU is averaging more than a goal more per game this year than last year (3.32 vs. 2.22). They were one of the worst teams in the country last year. They are top 10 this year (8th currently). Can't say it's all Allison but he's second on the team in points and goals. He's a big reason why the program has turned around like it has.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...nheim-konecny-gostisbehere-couturier-provorov
Sanheim was known as an offensive force in the WHL with the Calgary Hitmen, putting up 65 and 68 points in his last two seasons respectively. However his offensive firepower has not fully translated to the American Hockey League just yet. This is not a bad thing, though, as Sanheim has developed his game very well in other areas. The Flyers also do not need Sanheim to become an offensive powerhouse on the blue line a la Shayne Gostisbehere, but he will easily make a reliable player for the second power-play unit.

He has 8 goals with only 1 coming on the powerplay and has hovered around .5 PPG all year- while playing his off-side. He's top 20 in primary points among defensemen. Top 10 in 5v5 points. 3rd in 5v5 goals. What kind of production were people expecting without 1st PP time? His assist total is pretty low by his standards but that can happen in the AHL. Past studies have shown you lose about 60% of your production going from Junior to the AHL. That's pretty much in line with what he is doing right now. A season over 30 points without 1st PP time would be pretty good. He still creates a handful of high quality chances a game.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Couturier doesn't belong with Provorov.

1. Provorov
2. Ghost
3. Konency
4. Couts
5. Sanheim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad