OT: B's Goalies-new gear

TimmytheTank

Nov 13, 2008
I've been taking a bit of a break from the day-in, day-out following of Bruins activity this summer, but for some reason seeing the new gear of the goalies is something that inevitably grabs my attention each year. Malcolm Subban (despite not being at the NHL level this year) has some gorgeous new Black and Gold duds.

Screen-Shot-2014-08-28-at-5.36.35-PM-1022x1024.png

Source

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I've been taking a bit of a break from the day-in, day-out following of Bruins activity this summer, but for some reason seeing the new gear of the goalies is something that inevitably grabs my attention each year. Malcolm Subban (despite not being at the NHL level this year) has some gorgeous new Black and Gold duds.

Screen-Shot-2014-08-28-at-5.36.35-PM-1022x1024.png

Source

A star on both the pads and gloves??? Cue the Subban for Roussel rumors:sarcasm:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Was gonna say the same thing, wasn't there some kinda stat about that?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...ads_give_goaltenders_an_unfair_advantage.html

Muncey said she plans to launch a study this summer to determine what type of advantage white pads have over dark-coloured ones.
“We hope to finally shed some light on this,†she said.
Former Canadiens goalie Jocelyn Thibault said he does recommend white pads when asked by younger players.
“White stuff makes the equipment look bigger,†he said. “I think it helps a little bit. It’s never been proven that a goalie wearing white plays better than, say, with red or black pads.â€
Thibault, who compared the white pad theory to another that says black tape on a player’s stick can give the shooter a scoring advantage, said the league shouldn’t restrict the use of white pads.
“If somebody can prove to me that 20 per cent less goals are scored because they wear white pads, then it’s something to look into,†he said. “But I think changing rules without facts, it’s not right. It’s just an opiion right now.â€

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
I have played with dozens of different pads and I can't recall a single case where I thought a white pad looked bigger than a black one, as long as they were identical besides the color of course.

However the advantage of playing with white pads is that when the shooter looks for an open spot, it's easier to look for a white-ish spot when the goalie gear is dark than when it is white.

This kid had the best design : http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...goalie_designs_pads_to_trick_shots/?page=full

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I have played with dozens of different pads and I can't recall a single case where I thought a white pad looked bigger than a black one, as long as they were identical besides the color of course.

However the advantage of playing with white pads is that when the shooter looks for an open spot, it's easier to look for a white-ish spot when the goalie gear is dark than when it is white.

This kid had the best design : http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...goalie_designs_pads_to_trick_shots/?page=full

Ha! That's great

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
If I were a goalie.. which I'm not.. I'd be worried about losing the puck momentarily in black pads. Though it probably doesn't matter for pros.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
I don't like the non-traditional "B". Even if it is official (which I don't think it is).

Insert Abraham Simpson meme shaking fist at cloud.

TimmytheTank

Nov 13, 2008
Who cares?

I care. And I don't think it's particularly unusual for hockey fans to be interested in the equipment of their team's players... especially not when it's basically team-themed artwork. Speaking of which:

subbanmask-640x427.jpg

source

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad