Bryzgalov

BigTree92

May 6, 2011
So with Kipper looking like he's not coming back our goaltending situation for next year will likely be MacDonald starting and Ramo as the backup if there are no moves made. Since Bryz just got bought out today and coming off the season he did his value will be very low at the moment. Wondering what people would think about signing him to a cheap, short-term deal.

This move could allow us to start the season with Bryz as the starter and Ramo as the likely backup. We could use the season to test the waters with Ramo and give him more games as the season progresses. The Flames could then trade MacDonald for scraps for a Berra/Irving lineup in the AHL, or move one of these guys to make room for Mac in the AHL and increase our assets in either forward or D prospects.

Guessing not too many people will be hot on Bryz, but I think this could work if we get him for a cheap price, which is very possible right now. Since there are lower expectations in Calgary right now that could also play in Bryz's favor to help him rebuild confidence in a lower pressure environment. And, this move could signal to guys like Cammaleri and Tanguay that the team wants to at least try to remain somewhat competitive and could perhaps help convince them to stay.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bryzgalov got dealt a ****** hand in Philly.
He didn't play well, but also had garbage in front of him. The media was truly racist towards him.

If Calgary didn't have a cluster of goalies that should be in the NHL (Berra, Ramo and Mac) I wouldn't be opposed to getting Bryz signed on a shorter team, cheap deal. Since we already have three guys that are fighting for the position in the big club, have Joni holding down the AHL with whoever gets sent down... I just don't see room for Bryz unless Feaster can swing a deal at the draft or before July first, that'll send Mac somewhere... However, Calgary is a pretty classy organization; and don't think someone who gets a new contract will be traded before the start of the next season.

EDIT.
Calling it:
Some clown on the Flames forum will say something Xenophobic or Racist in this thread shortly; which will be looked over, because Russian/Ex-USSR remarks are treated very differently than if someone attacked another group of people.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Off Topic: Claiming players of Russian heritage might choose to leave the NHL to take similar money to play hockey in their home country isn't racism. It's economics.

On topic: I wouldn't be opposed to signing Bryzgalov - even for a medium term deal. Worst thing that happens is he gives hilarious sound bytes.

Perhaps Philly would like to acquire Karri Ramo via trade? :naughty:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
NO!

While Philly can't play defense Bryz let in some amazingly weak goals, he seems to have a strange personality (much like Jokinen) and I don't think that would fit in well here. I would rather run Ramo/Berra then sign Bryz.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Off Topic: Claiming players of Russian heritage might choose to leave the NHL to take similar money to play hockey in their home country isn't racism. It's economics.

No doubt.
If it were only that, it'd be fine. Once people start talking about how they're not team players or bad eggs, or anything of sort; it has nada to do about economics at that point :laugh:.

I remember when I first joined, there was some dude in here that blasted Russians like you wouldn't believe. Just stuff where you're like... wow, if this was being said about French Canadians; we'd have the Canadiens forum up in arms :laugh:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Most of Calgarys parks are underwater right now so he wouldnt like that.

On a serious note, no. Flames need to see what they have with the goalies they got first before looking at other options.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I don't see Bryzgalov as being the type of goalie that would work well on a rebuilding club. Flames should stay away.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I like his eccentric personality. We've been missing some entertaining characters since Karlsson was kung fu-ing the opposition.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bryz did get dealt a **** hand in Philly. Yes he wasn't playing like he was expected to but he was far from the reason that Philly didn't make the playoffs. He was prone to letting in some stinkers for sure, but more often than not he was quite solid last season. The trouble is the fans in Philly are so blue collar and they take winning as serious as life. His accentric attitude was not a good match with the fans and that relationship was doomed from the start.

I'd totally be cool with him signing here on a 2-3 year deal, however we need to pass. We've already made commitments to other tenders and its not fair to them to bring in Bryz. JMac, Ramo and Berra need to be given an opportunity to succeed and signing Bryz is not the right thing to do given the moves we have already made. I do think Bryz is a quality goaltender though.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
no_michael_bluth.gif

BigTree92

May 6, 2011
no thank you. we need to see what Berra and Ramo can do

By putting them in situations they may not be ready for. Whether we go with Berra/Ramo or MacDonald and Berra or Ramo, I wouldn't want any of those guys in the starter role. Especially Berra and Ramo who we are wanting to develop into good tenders. Too much responsibility could be bad for their transition into the NHL. And MacDonald is far from a starter. Doing this signing, or one similar to it, would allow us to temporarily hold down the starter position while we wait for one of our prospects to take over the role.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
By putting them in situations they may not be ready for. Whether we go with Berra/Ramo or MacDonald and Berra or Ramo, I wouldn't want any of those guys in the starter role. Especially Berra and Ramo who we are wanting to develop into good tenders. Too much responsibility could be bad for their transition into the NHL. And MacDonald is far from a starter. Doing this signing, or one similar to it, would allow us to temporarily hold down the starter position while we wait for one of our prospects to take over the role.
ramo is 27 years old. if he isnt ready to be starter now he never will be.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
ramo is 27 years old. if he isnt ready to be starter now he never will be.
This. They may be inexperienced but we are not going to be competitive next season. Our lineup is bad. So we may as well see what we have in the system. Worse case they both falter and we go with Macdonald.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Pass, Bryz doesn't fit where this team is going.

We are in a rebuild adding Bryz does one of two things:

1. Plays well and "Kipper's" the team into a finish outside the bottom 5, making the team look better than they are, while displacing Ramo, Mac and Berra on the depth chart and possibly ruining their chances of showing us what they can do.

2. Plays poorly while displacing Ramo, Mac and Berra on the depth chart and possibly ruining their chances of showing us what they can do.

I don't think there is any really positive outcome to adding him as he wont make us a playoff team.

We need to take a year and reassess all of the talent in our current pool and that includes these goalies that Feaster has traded for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad