Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Last edited:

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=777987

Seems Bryce will officially announce his retirement by the end of the week.

His play obviously fell off a cliff as his body wasn't able to keep up anymore but the man was a warrior for us and is by all accounts a great guy.

Wish him the best and I do hope he finds another role in the organization.

Ow, seems like ill be needing a new username. :laugh: im very happy to read this, though.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=777987

Seems Bryce will officially announce his retirement by the end of the week.

His play obviously fell off a cliff as his body wasn't able to keep up anymore but the man was a warrior for us and is by all accounts a great guy.

Wish him the best and I do hope he finds another role in the organization.

Are you being nice when saying hope he finds a role in the organization? What has he done to deserve a role?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Are you being nice when saying hope he finds a role in the organization? What has he done to deserve a role?

He's been a captain for a reason. He's a character guy and just because he struggled the last few years doesn't change that.

Plus, his play in the playoffs in 2012 was a huge reason we went that far.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Wish him all the best.

BO13jLN.png

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's a shame that so many fans made it a personal vendetta on the guy for getting old and getting injured when his game went south. I'll still always hold that grudge with the general fan base for booing him in the starting lineup and at team events.

That aside, I always loved Sal because of the way that he played the game. Of any player out there, Sal exemplifies doing things the right way. When things weren't going his way or he was battling back from an injury, he never made excuses or blamed anyone else, he just tried to work 10 times harder to get himself back to where he had once been. No guy worked harder to get himself in shape for the season than Sal.

In hindsight, of course the contract doesn't look good. But he may have very well been the MVP of the first 3 rounds for the Devils in that Finals run and supposedly got higher value on the open market. He came back because he wanted to be back. You couldn't ask for a better locker room guy. It's a shame his career had to end this way.

I'll never forget the Summer of Sal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People act like Sal's career began and ended with 2012 but he actually had a solid career before that and coming back in 2012 from a serious injury to do what he did in the regular season was remarkable enough never mind the postseason binge. You never had to worry about him embarrassing the franchise off ice or causing drama either.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
anyone that boo's a member of their own team, let alone their captain, can **** right off into a fire.

anyway- liked his play, loved his leadership and persona- I've only heard great things from those who met him.

all the best to him- I sincerely hope he takes a role in St Louis or Toronto to take the next steps professionally

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
He's been a captain for a reason. He's a character guy and just because he struggled the last few years doesn't change that.

Plus, his play in the playoffs in 2012 was a huge reason we went that far.

I understand your point, I just don't think he deserves a role with the organization. If they need him then that's OK but to expect a job is wrong based on what he has done with the Devils, just mho. Based on what you are suggesting then Elias when he retires should be the VP of hockey operations for the Devils.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
A great soldier and career, all the best to Sal! Now we finally know what really happened during '10-'11. This guy's body just completely broke down on him at the end. Will never forget that 2012 playoff run though.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Wow. What an article.

Love you Sal.

Happy to have you stick around.

The Devils should do something to honor his time as Captain and for all he went through to be a Devil. Nothing major - just a nice video package before a game, maybe a painting and a ceremonial puck drop. I'd love to be able to give him a standing ovation.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
best during playoffs in 2012. got so much crap, but we all knew it wasn't his fault he was playing so much. wish it could've ended better for him, and hopefully he can stay with us in some capacity/ray lets him. enjoy retirement captain

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People act like Sal's career began and ended with 2012 but he actually had a solid career before that and coming back in 2012 from a serious injury to do what he did in the regular season was remarkable enough never mind the postseason binge.

I posted this and I didn't even comprehend the extent of what he came back from or how much went into it till reading that piece.

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
This says it all:

"Today, I am retiring from the National Hockey League. I achieved my goal of coming back so that my boys would be able to remember me as an NHL player, and now I am content to step away on my own terms. But I am not leaving hockey, and I am not leaving New Jersey or the Devils. This organization never stopped believing in me, even when I was spinning around in office chairs.

This place made me.

Now, by working with the Devils and local New Jersey hockey organizations, I hope to be an example for young players and spread access to the game for everyone. I want to pass on the lessons of perseverance, sacrifice, and determination that I was fortunate enough to have learned while playing hockey. If I believe in one thing in life, it’s that hockey is a force for good. It can change kids’ lives and give them an outlet so that no matter what’s going on with them personally, they can get on the ice for a few hours and forget about everything but that little black piece of rubber."

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A great soldier and career, all the best to Sal! Now we finally know what really happened during '10-'11. This guy's body just completely broke down on him at the end. Will never forget that 2012 playoff run though.

Yepp and it's what happened to him in the end too. His downward sprial after 2012 was him trying to play through his hip injury unsuccessfully.

Reading that though and you understand why he became captain.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Great write up about Salvador. He has been through a lot as have many other ice hockey players and players from other sports. Working with local youth hockey will be good for him and them.

Congrats Sal, best wishes ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5