Confirmed with Link: Bryce McConnell-Barker signs ELC

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good. I said it in the other thread, IMO he improved the most of any guy in the system since last season (of those who I saw last season). Maybe Cuylle or Laba. But either way he looked really good this year, leader on and off the ice.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
It's been a decade since we last drafted an impactful forward or defenseman in the mid to late rounds. You'd have to go back to 2013 where we got Buch, Duclair and Ryan Graves. Barron (2017) may carve out a career, but he's gone. The jury is still out, we've got a few with a real shot, Jones, Edstrom, Berard.. man it'd be nice if we get a player out of Bryce. Gotta start hitting on these later picks here and there.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It's been a decade since we last drafted an impactful forward or defenseman in the mid to late rounds. You'd have to go back to 2013 where we got Buch, Duclair and Ryan Graves. Barron (2017) may carve out a career, but he's gone. The jury is still out, we've got a few with a real shot, Jones, Edstrom, Berard.. man it'd be nice if we get a player out of Bryce. Gotta start hitting on these later picks here and there.
In fairness, those late rounds picks will typically take 4-5 years to establish themselves from draft night so that’s a pretty significant portion of that time period

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Cullye, Othman, Edstrom all turn into NHLers and then you get a few more out of Berard, BMB, Sykora, etc. that's how you keep a window open and stay competitive.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Cullye, Othman, Edstrom all turn into NHLers and then you get a few more out of Berard, BMB, Sykora, etc. that's how you keep a window open and stay competitive.
It helps that we’re also not desperate for nhl talent, so we can let players sit and simmer in the chl and ahl for years.
Schneider we lucked out as he had an ahl season due to Covid.
Othmann may make the jump early but I think he starts in the ahl.
This will also help Hartford win more games and foster a more competitive team down there.

Reactions: surlysailor

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Othmann will be interesting as, to me, he looks like he lacked some edge and intensity this season. Like he took his foot off the gas. If that's just because he was disappointed about having to go back to juniors, I don't like it but I understand it. Still, will be interesting to see what happens with how he responds in the fall, since he definitely wasn't ready for the pros this season. Hopefully he comes in with the right mindset and puts his head down and does the work.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Agree with all of the above posts. Its been way too long since we saw anyone beyond the 1st round become an impact player on this team. That needs to change. We truly had some awful drafts in most of the 2010s, reminiscent of, well, pretty much every draft, aside from 2 or 3, going back to the mid 90s :).

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Agree with all of the above posts. Its been way too long since we saw anyone beyond the 1st round become an impact player on this team. That needs to change. We truly had some awful drafts in most of the 2010s, reminiscent of, well, pretty much every draft, aside from 2 or 3, going back to the mid 90s :).
Really?
Buch in the third round of 13.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
And prior to that, the last 3rd rounder to have any impact was Dominic Moore from the 2000 draft. Before that, Rob Zamuner in 89. Honorable mention to Jason Labarbera in 98 and Eric Cairns in 92.
Hard for players to have impact when we trade them?
We moved a bunch of talented prospects in deals.

Duclair was also 2013.
We also had zucc who was undrafted.

But the rangers blew through draft picks until 2017 trying to win during hanks window.
That said finding even 1-2 nhl players in the 3rd round isnt easy.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Really liked his game a lot even when he was stuck behind Soo's top guys, and you could tell that he had that extra element to his game when he stepped up his play in the playoffs last year. I was thrilled when we got him in the third round since he really had no business falling that far, and he's obviously shown how good he is this year taking the reigns as the top guy and captain of his team.

I still think this is a kid that we're gonna have to be patient with for a few years as he figures out how to translate his skills to the next level. The effort won't be an issue because the kid is an absolute gym rat in the offseason, but I think it'd be best if he maybe opted for an overage year and full-season in the AHL before getting an NHL look. He's one of the younger guys from his draft year too

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
3rd round or later picks don't typically make an impact in the NHL. I would say it's the exception rather than the rule. They also take longer to make it to the show. Buchnevich was a 3rd, and Callahan and Shesterkin were 4th round picks. The Rangers had like 8 first round picks in a 4 year span during the rebuild. They are either playing for the team now or were used in trades. Those are the guys who are going to be playing and make an impact, along with some 2nd rounders. Generally the lower picks that do make it are usually 4th line or 3rd pair guys. Vesey(3rd), Motte(4th), Goodrow(undrafted), Mikkola(5th), and Harpur(4th) all fit this mold. Fox obviously is the exception. The Rangers are also fortunate that players want to play here and they can get guys like Fox and Vesey without drafting them originally. We will see how guys like BMB, Berard, Garand, and Korczak do in the future. They seem to be solid 3rd, 4th round picks who may have a shot.

Reactions: surlysailor

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Really liked his game a lot even when he was stuck behind Soo's top guys, and you could tell that he had that extra element to his game when he stepped up his play in the playoffs last year. I was thrilled when we got him in the third round since he really had no business falling that far, and he's obviously shown how good he is this year taking the reigns as the top guy and captain of his team.

I still think this is a kid that we're gonna have to be patient with for a few years as he figures out how to translate his skills to the next level. The effort won't be an issue because the kid is an absolute gym rat in the offseason, but I think it'd be best if he maybe opted for an overage year and full-season in the AHL before getting an NHL look. He's one of the younger guys from his draft year too
He's still only 18. He won't be eligible for the AHL until the 2024-25 season. Playing an overage season in the OHL would mean playing in the OHL for the 2024-25 season. I don't see that happening. He'll play in the OHL next season and then in the AHL the following year. Maybe he'll get a cup of coffee, the way Cuylle did, then we'll see in 2025-26 if he's ready.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Hard to imagine the Rangers will want BMB in juniors for two more seasons. Your point about him being on the younger side is well taken but he really stepped up this season already and is far from undersized to keep him there to “gain strength”. IMO one more year and then onto AHL.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He's still only 18. He won't be eligible for the AHL until the 2024-25 season. Playing an overage season in the OHL would mean playing in the OHL for the 2024-25 season. I don't see that happening. He'll play in the OHL next season and then in the AHL the following year. Maybe he'll get a cup of coffee, the way Cuylle did, then we'll see in 2025-26 if he's ready.
I know that, but I can envision a scenario like Ryder Korczak where he can’t really hold his footing in the AHL and opts to go back for the overage. I know it’s a minority opinion, and I’ll be extremely glad to be proven wrong, but I’m going to err on the side of caution when it comes to trusting Hartford to be a good environment for development. It obviously hasn’t hindered Cuylle this year, but I do worry about how they’ll handle this wave of young players coming over within these next two years.

We really haven’t had a steady influx of drafted talent in Hartford probably since 2006-07. Will the coaching staff and roster be ready by then to find spots for all of these kids to play? Martin was able to build that type of environment for Grand Rapids when he was Detroit’s assistant GM. Can he do the same here?

Anyways, like you and Crypto said, he’ll probably be in the OHL for another year and then be full-time in the AHL after that. The Rangers just need to make sure that he’s put in positions to play as a top C, since there is potential for him to be a 2C at the NHL level

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00