Signing(s): Bryce Harper to Phillies (13 years/330 M)

Sep 19, 2008
bahahaha

So Harper turns down Washington, holds out for months...and signs for $5m LESS per season than what he turned down.

Give it 3-5 years before Philly fans are sick of him not living up to the hype and it turns u-g-l-y

3-5 years is too long

if he has a .250 year and struggles like @Machinehead insists because he is "not one of the best RF in the game" he will be excoriated by Philly fans

in 2019

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We went over this in the other thread, but the statistics just don't show that Yelich is better than Harper.
Last year, he was definitively better. He's been more consistent of the 2. Harper has had the best overall season between the 2 of them though.

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
Harper's injury history will catch up to him once he crosses 30. He's one of the most overrated players in the modern era. His career numbers don't justify this type of deal, its as if the hype around his debut still lingers today and people are not looking at him through a sober lens. He's only hit 30 homer runs twice and drove in 100RBI's just once which was last season in his contract year.

In all of MLB:
- He finished in the top 10 in Offensive WAR just once and that was in 2015 during his MVP year
- Never finished top 10 in Defensive WAR
- Never finished top 10 in hits
- Never finished top 10 in doubles
- Never finished top 10 in RBI's
- Top 10 once in home runs
- Top 10 once in runs scored
- Top 10 three time in on-base %
- Top 10 twice in slugging %
- Top 10 twice in OPS%

Now aside from picking on his stats, he will be in a offense friendly ball park with a pretty good lineup around him so maybe he'll put up huge numbers but until he does and can stay healthy, he's still not worth that much money and that term. How much is Mike Trout gonna get then jesus *&^ christ?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's a good player and this move makes Philly better but yikes that length and that money? Not a good contract at all here IMO.

Reactions: MikeCubs
Sep 19, 2008
Tickets for the April 2nd game (Harper's first return to DC) are only 44 dollars. Probably going anyway with my Season Ticket Holder discount, but that price ain't that bad.

Harper has had the best overall season between the 2 of them though.

so if you agree Harper's better why are we arguing

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Tickets for the April 2nd game (Harper's first return to DC) are only 44 dollars. Probably going anyway with my Season Ticket Holder discount, but that price ain't that bad.

so if you agree Harper's better why are we arguing
Having 1 superior season doesn't make them a better player. Yelich has outperformed Harper 2 of the last 3 seasons and 3 of the past 5. And Yelich has been better overall when you combine both of those stretches. Yelich is better.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
With no opt-outs in this contract and a very real possibility he will retire before/ when this contract ends, have to wonder if motivation will be a bit of an issue. I like Harper though and the deal is a lot more reasonable than what was expected a year or two ago. Philly is going to be so good in 2021 with a battery of Realmuto- Nola and Harper and Trout in the outfield.

Sep 19, 2008
Having 1 superior season doesn't make them a better player. Yelich has outperformed Harper 2 of the last 3 seasons and 3 of the past 5. And Yelich has been better overall when you combine both of those stretches. Yelich is better.
You don't see how your comment is contradictory? "Yelich had a better season than harper, but Harper had a better overall season." Like, what is that supposed to mean?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You don't see how your comment is contradictory? "Yelich had a better season than harper, but Harper had a better overall season." Like, what is that supposed to mean?
Of all their seasons combined, Harper had the highest peak in 2015, that's why I meant by the best single season overall, sorry if that wasn't clear enough. Yelich was better last season and over their careers has been a better player. Harper has potential for higher peak, but also has a much lower floor.

Reactions: MikeCubs

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A lot of $$$$ for a guy whos been worth 9 fWAR total over the last 3 seasons.

I mean yea he was unreal in 2015 but when he and Trout made their debuts, there was talk of them being equals. Certainly not the case.

Phillies better hope he has multiple 2015-esque seasons.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
With no opt-outs in this contract and a very real possibility he will retire before/ when this contract ends, have to wonder if motivation will be a bit of an issue. I like Harper though and the deal is a lot more reasonable than what was expected a year or two ago. Philly is going to be so good in 2021 with a battery of Realmuto- Nola and Harper and Trout in the outfield.
Trout? Getting a little ahead of yourself?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Why the hell would he retire before the contract ends? He'd be giving up 25 million a year or whatever it is.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
So basically the Phillies pay $ 30m/year until Harper is 36 (his prime) and $ 10m/year for the next three years. That's a huge commitment, but not an overly atrocious deal. Philadelphia should lobby for the NL to adopt the DH, though...

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad