Value of: Bryan Rust for a Top 4D

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mr negative here

Is Mr Rust's output based upon his talent or the people he plays with?

Rust is a legitimate 40-50 point guy (per 82 games) that had inflated production last year from playing exclusively with Malkin.

He's a 2nd/3rd line tweener that you can have in your top-6 or carry your 3rd line IMO

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Mr negative here

Is Mr Rust's output based upon his talent or the people he plays with?

I mean...both? Isn't everyone at a point?

I bet McDavid scores more with Crosby and Ovechkin as linemates than he would with Craig Adams and Tanner Glass.

I would say Rust is a consistent 40pt guy at a minimum with a 50-60pt ceiling. As with all 2nd liner caliber wingers, a lot depends on chemistry.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Holy over reaction Batman!

Rust is struggling right now, but the same goes for most of the top 6. If indeed we move him out, I'd look to make it a shake up move to bring in another RW in in a similar cap hit, age, and need of a change of scenery situation. On D, yes we want our D to improve, but look at the logjam we already have:

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Riikola - Ruhwedel
Matheson - Ceci
POJ

We want to add to that? That's a pass from me unless you've got D men moving out the other direction. The two most locked in positions are Letang and Marino in the RD1 and RD2 positions. Pettersson has looked nice but is hurt for an unknown length of time. Matheson deserves more time to shake out once healthy, and Dumo has earned a longer leash than three games. I don't see where you slot in another D.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Mete might be available just not sure what Pittsburgh would be willing to trade that Montreal would be interested in .

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
18 goals against in 4 games might argue that claim . . .
I dunno nothin about no high danger shots or other fancy stats but overall their shots against are 3rd best in the league. Their goaltenders numbers suggest stopping a beach ball might be too much to ask of them.

But maybe someone who has watched them more than me might offer another explanation.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Unless it’s a massive upgrade on Ruhwedel, who’s playing great, I don’t see the point. Just forces us to do another Zucker trade and we’re running out of assets/cap to do so.

That one is tempting, but why is he on the block? Seems like ive seen his name a lot from Ducks fans and it doesn’t seem like RD is exactly deep in Anaheim.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If you trading Rast then you are losing that asset long term and in all likelihood the d asset you acquire in the ED. You are pretty much stating this is the pens last year at a cup and we are all in start the rebuild next year.

Feel free to discuss if right plan. I am just surprised to see it out here.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Unless it’s a massive upgrade on Ruhwedel, who’s playing great, I don’t see the point. Just forces us to do another Zucker trade and we’re running out of assets/cap to do so.

That one is tempting, but why is he on the block? Seems like ive seen his name a lot from Ducks fans and it doesn’t seem like RD is exactly deep in Anaheim.
Well he just was ruled out for 6 weeks so I can’t imagine he’s very tempting at this point :laugh:. He’s on the block because his contract expires after next season and we don’t know if we’ll be able to sign him for what he might want.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad