Confirmed with Link: Bryan Murray Confirms this will be his Last Season.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We can't 'go for it.' We are way too far away from being a contender right now.

If we try, we will fail and end up with a completely gutted team.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We can't 'go for it.' We are way too far away from being a contender right now.

If we try, we will fail and end up with a completely gutted team.

Exactly. The GM has an obligation to do what's right for the team, not the other way around.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Bryan Murray does not strike me as someone who will blow-up the barn to make a full-blown push for the Cup given the circumstances.

He knows this team isn't there yet (I hope).

I hope this team can at least give him something to be happy about next year. It's going to be really weird not having Bryan around. He's been in the organization for a decade now.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
IMO nothing will change.

I think (hope) the team's long term plans don't change - Murray doesn't strike me as a selfish guy, but I wouldn't be shocked if he pulls the trigger on a bigger deal.

If he trades Andy, we'll know he's not "going for it" at all this year.

ULoveMe

Nov 29, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
With solid consistent goaltending and a few additional pieces (top 4 D and top 3/6 forward), I think this team can make some significant noise in the playoffs. The huge question mark right now is who are we riding with as our goalie for next year. Honestly can't remember when this team has gone at least 3-4 seasons without a goalie controversy....

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
With solid consistent goaltending and a few additional pieces (top 4 D and top 3/6 forward), I think this team can make some significant noise in the playoffs. The huge question mark right now is who are we riding with as our goalie for next year. Honestly can't remember when this team has gone at least 3-4 seasons without a goalie controversy....

Biggest problem is the accumulation of dead weight, freeing that money and roster space is vital to our future success.

This off season just got even more interesting, didn't it. The storylines, I tell ya!

SH0154BU1_1.jpg

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Im sure that Murray will be given some kind of lifetime position with the team, so if they do manage to win a cup in the foreseeable future he'll still be able to get his name on it. Or at least pick it up on the ice.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
End of an era though, its sad. Especially being forced out by disease, but he was able to keep going for a couple years.

Murray is a tough old bird.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Go all in, Murray and Melnyk might be their last chance to win a Cup - I guess this means we are keeping Andy.

Let's make a run at it

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You hope and pray that Bryan Murray has a couple of years left, as I really believe this team could be in the mix by 2016-17. We'll be better next year, and I really think the stars could align for this team to still be playing two years from today. There are no guarantees, but the potential for this core is definitely there...

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch · 3h 3 hours ago
Bryan Murray has a contract to remain two years as an advisor when his deal as GM expires after next season. #Sens

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 1h 1 hour ago
Murray had 4 yr deal to start this season - two as GM, two as an advisor. So when he says he'll step down in a year, that was original plan.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Trade dead weight.

Sign Williams and Jackman/Sekera and we're making a run for the cup next year if Hoffman, Ryan and Zibanejad improve... which they should.

Let's do this.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Signed a 4 year deal last season i believe...probably stick around as an advisor or something of the sort if at all able going forward.

Stay the course...not a time to panic imo

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
You guys realize Alfie is being groomed for his replacement right?

It's not like he called Matt O'Connor and wooed him to Ottawa or anything.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014

I'll be absolutely shocked and bewildered (heck, even kind of mad) if Alfie is named GM next season. He has zero experience. He'll get his start as either an assistant/adviser or he will going into player personnel.

There's no way he just becomes GM because he's Alfie. He'll put in some time like Yzerman did before he comes close to being an NHL GM.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

To be GM with little to no experience isn't a recipe for success...Alfie could do it on the ice by sheer will but that doesn't work in management.

I agree he is being groomed but no way he can be ready after next season. I guess they could put him in and still have Dorion and Lee as his assistants to really make the transition smoother (especially with Murray as an adviser).

So, after writing all that perhaps Alfie will step in after next season!

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Biggest problem is the accumulation of dead weight, freeing that money and roster space is vital to our future success.

The way he accomplishes that will be his legacy. I hope he does not trade away our youth for the sake of another "Ryan" type deal. Keep Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Zibanejad, Prince, and Wideman. Trade, Buy-out, retire, assign to Europe, the non-performers Legwand, Smith, Neil, Phillips, Greening. Fix the goalie situation. Consider if there is any decent return for Chiasson, Michalek and make that decision as well. And Draft well one more time.

Hopefully, Brian will be remembered for that.

If indeed Dorian is to replace him (or Lee), then at least they are at the office to have discussions with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad