Bryan Berard article

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Understandable if he's being honest. I wouldn't want to be drafted by the Oilers of the past decade.

I disagree. You pay your dues, you don't demand a trade before you've ever played a game. I don't care why he wanted out.

********* thought he was bigger then the game, and now he's trying to defend his actions.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I disagree. You pay your dues, you don't demand a trade before you've ever played a game. I don't care why he wanted out.

********* thought he was bigger then the game, and now he's trying to defend his actions.

It's funny because if you are one of the best players in the draft you are going to be drafted by a bad team. Unless the pick is traded of course. I don't have a lot of respect for players who are high draft picks who refuse to play for a team. You are getting drafted into the NHL at 18. Consider yourself lucky. Most people that age are going off to college and working part time low paying jobs.

I found it funny he said it took years for Ottawa to get good. They made the playoffs in 96-97, which was a year after he got drafted.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Kids do dumb ****. His career probably would have been better playing in Ottawa with all the talent we got in the next next 5-6 years.

Plus, if he plays for the Sens that accident doesnt happen unless he still ended up on that Leafs team somehow.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Kids do dumb ****. His career probably would have been better playing in Ottawa with all the talent we got in the next next 5-6 years.

Plus, if he plays for the Sens that accident doesnt happen unless he still ended up on that Leafs team somehow.

Exactly.

Changing history so that accident doesn't happen. That alone doubles the length of his career and the money in his pockets.

And reading the article, the kid is full of crap. He was booed because he rejected the hometown team. No one thought he rejected Canada.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Exactly.

Changing history so that accident doesn't happen. That alone doubles the length of his career and the money in his pockets.

And reading the article, the kid is full of crap. He was booed because he rejected the hometown team. No one thought he rejected Canada.

He was going to get booed regardless though. In the article he wants people to know it was nothing against Canada or the city of Ottawa. He felt the team was going nowhere and didn't want to be here. So even if that is true, he's still going to get booed when he plays here because he rejected the team. I think people assumed it had something to do with Canada, because he's an American, but he claims otherwise.

I mean, he could be lying, but it was 21 years ago. I don't hold a grudge against the guy.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's funny because if you are one of the best players in the draft you are going to be drafted by a bad team. Unless the pick is traded of course. I don't have a lot of respect for players who are high draft picks who refuse to play for a team. You are getting drafted into the NHL at 18. Consider yourself lucky. Most people that age are going off to college and working part time low paying jobs.

I found it funny he said it took years for Ottawa to get good. They made the playoffs in 96-97, which was a year after he got drafted.

I noticed that too. lol what a dummy.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I feel bad for Berard and his accident which derailed his career but he always came off as someone who believed he was bigger than what he was.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

And in his three years with the Islanders they never made the playoffs once...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
And in his three years with the Islanders they never made the playoffs once...

I was going to point that out too. We made the playoffs in 97 and 98, while the Isles didn't. He got traded to the leafs in 98-99 and went to the ECF with them.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I was going to point that out too. We made the playoffs in 97 and 98, while the Isles didn't. He got traded to the leafs in 98-99 and went to the ECF with them.

yep!

I looked at the trade, essential swapped 5th round picks, and Berard (their top scoring Dman) for a past prime Potvin when they still had Tommy 'the helmet' Salo...weird trade.

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
yep!

I looked at the trade, essential swapped 5th round picks, and Berard (their top scoring Dman) for a past prime Potvin when they still had Tommy 'the helmet' Salo...weird trade.

I don't imagine Milbury was the biggest Salo fan -

"Milbury took that to an extreme though when he went to arbitration with Tommy Salo. With Salo sitting next to his agent, Milbury began ranting about how bad he was directly to his agent: Claiming that he was one of the poorest conditioned players in the league, that he wasn't an NHL caliber goalie, and tearing into him in what is considered one of the most infamous arbitration rants of all time. According to reports, Salo left the room to use the bathroom, and when he returned it was clear that he had been crying."

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't imagine Milbury was the biggest Salo fan -

"Milbury took that to an extreme though when he went to arbitration with Tommy Salo. With Salo sitting next to his agent, Milbury began ranting about how bad he was directly to his agent: Claiming that he was one of the poorest conditioned players in the league, that he wasn't an NHL caliber goalie, and tearing into him in what is considered one of the most infamous arbitration rants of all time. According to reports, Salo left the room to use the bathroom, and when he returned it was clear that he had been crying."

The kind of thing that makes you realize how much better things truly are today.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
yep!

The other weird part of it was that Potvin wasn't even playing for the Leafs at the time. He may have been in a contract holdout, but he wasn't their number one guy because the Leafs signed Curtis Joseph as a free agent in the summer of 1998. I always thought it was strange that the Islanders gave up Berard for a goalie Toronto had no use for anymore.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

You can do whatever you want. Lindros demanded a trade. Tavares demanded a trade in junior.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You can do whatever you want. Lindros demanded a trade. Tavares demanded a trade in junior.

And Lindros is probably one of the biggest ********** to ever come out of the NHL.

Karma kicked him right in the knads too. Same way it did Berard.

I don't believe in such things, but its kinda fun when it works out like that ;)

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I was at the game where he was injured, two rows up behind the net in the end where Hossa clipped him.

It was a fun game until then, Sens fans were really letting him have it, for rejecting Ottawa, not Canada. Even after it happened it didn't seem like it was that serious, we figured he'd be back the next period. I found out when I saw the replays later.

Sure they can do it, but not many in the hockey industry embrace hot-shot 18 year olds thinking they are bigger than the game and tilt the scales. It doesn't work out well very often.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00