Brunner

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I seriously never knew that. I have never had to use the word, but good to know. Always thought it was the same ****. I guess it makes sense since my history teachers in college hated me for my lazy writing and turning my rough draft into my final draft by just using spell check.

You should be a better student, like Mursak.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Most wingers are complimentary players other than the elite, like Hossa. Brunner isn't the type of player that can succeed without a good playmaking centering him. And he isn't good around the boards or defensively. He's definitely a complementary player, and its not a bad thing.
Not at all.
Brunner>>>Hossa ;)
To be fair to Bob's point; majority of a roster is going to be made up of players that compliment each other. You have elite talent (Datysuk, Zetterberg) and you try to find players that will work best with them. There are very few people that can 'take over a game.' As it's been discussed before; Brunner is no superstar but he is proving to be extremely good at his role which is to shoot and score. The Red Wings haven't had that in a long time.

I wish people would stop comparing what Hossa did and what Brunner is doing though. Two vastly different players.
The same here:
Brunner (10 goals) >>> Hossa (6 goals)
Wow. Stunning speed.

Dude was wide open on the right side.

Jiri Hudler could have had time to make that play
No he could not have. Brunner burns 2 players with his speed and then places the puck perfectly.

http://the-word-blog.com/2010/04/12/complementary-vs-complimentary/

I'm not willing to gloat about Brunner being awesome until he shows me he's more than a product of his circumstance.

Has he beat expectations? Hell yes.

Is he awesome? Get real.
So far he is awesome. The question is can he keep it up?
I hope so.
What exactly is the argument? Brunner is certainly not elite after 20+ games in the NHL. He is not an elite two way forward. I suppose he might end up being one, but I would bet against it at his age.

He is cheap and is producing with Henrik Zetterberg who seems to be rejuvenated after being promoted to Captain. They have great chemistry and he is shooting the puck which is something in the top six the Wings usually lack (shoot first players).

I like him and he is doing what the coaching staff brought him in to do. Unfortunately a 48 game season will favor a player like Brunner. I want to see can play like this over an 82 game season with 15-20 playoffs games.

I don't know whether he should get a benefit of the doubt deal or another one year deal where you might end up getting burned and paying even more if he is legit.
I definitely believe it favours him, but not unfortunately.
Even if his defense is below average and he isn't great along the boards, he'll always have a spot on any team if he keeps up this kind of goal scoring.
+1

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit
Can't be.

Brunner is a great player, in fact he is exactly what we needed in terms of a top line winger. However, as good as he is he is not on the same level as Hossa.

RedWingsNow*

My tired head fell for the typical CB red herring when he can't really argue a point.

LOL.
I chided you on grammar. You're the one who dug your own grave by continuing to act like you were right.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The Hossa v Brunner thing is why anyone who actually knows hockey knows you can't just look at numbers. Hossa is twice the player Brunner is. He's faster, way stronger on the puck, way better defensively, better hands, higher hockey IQ.

Anyone seriously saying Brunner is better than Hossa needs their head checked.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The Hossa v Brunner thing is why anyone who actually knows hockey knows you can't just look at numbers. Hossa is twice the player Brunner is. He's faster, way stronger on the puck, way better defensively, better hands, higher hockey IQ.

Who said that? :laugh:

Brunner's just a quick 1-way shifty twink goal scorer.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not sure if serious?

Can't be.

Brunner is a great player, in fact he is exactly what we needed in terms of a top line winger. However, as good as he is he is not on the same level as Hossa.

I think it is obvious that I was joking.
Brunner has only played 19 NHL games. Of course he can't be compared to any established star in the league at this point.
But I hope he will keep the pace. I do not care about his 2 way game at this point.
I think we can all agree that he is doing much better than expected.

Have some fun, we do not have to be dead serious all the time.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Brunner has only played 19 NHL games. Of course he can't be compared to any established star in the league at this point.
But I hope he will keep the pace. I do not care about his 2 way game at this point.

No! I would rather assume you are brain dead because it makes me feel smart.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Is there some rule that Marian Hossa needs to be shoehorned into every conversation these days?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Is there some rule that Marian Hossa needs to be shoehorned into every conversation these days?

In fairness, Hossa is incredible so I find it hard not to talk about him, too.

But not as much as I love ALEX GOLIGOSKI! #secretstarsfan

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

If three people can't tell you're kidding, maybe it's because you have a very bad joking face.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If three people can't tell you're kidding, maybe it's because you have a very bad joking face.

Might I suggest a drag avatar? Nobody will take you seriously. :laugh:

I think Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies would do the trick. Or classic Tootsie!

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I chided you on grammar. You're the one who dug your own grave by continuing to act like you were right.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

You couldn't present a legitimate argument, so you go literature nazi mode just to find something you could be right about. Your at more fault than I am for being intellectually dishonest.

And look, nobody is saying Brunner is better than Hossa. He's on pace to score more goals than him when he was on the team. He's been a significant contributor to this team. That's all I am saying. I think it's wrong to delegate him to role-player status that just mops up after Zetterberg cleans house. Right now, Brunner is a huge cog to the Wings success. If we can relegate Cleary to junk status after a similar stretch, I think it's reasonable we can call Brunner a stud right now.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You couldn't present a legitimate argument, so you go literature nazi mode just to find something you could be right about. Your at more fault than I am for being intellectually dishonest.

Just admit your folly and move on. Grammar is a low blow, but when you're wrong, you're wrong. Laugh at yourself and it all goes away.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
me in drag? i'll think about it

12790.jpg

You're lucky we're the Church of England!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad