Brule???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hordichuk_24

HabLover said:
Yeah, I would rather teach someone how to score goals or to skate or somehow inject hockey sense into a player, rather than stop a player from taking a 2 minute penalty at the wrong time. Gee, I don't think that could ever be corrected! :shakehead

He took a few penalties in ONE game and got benched for the 3rd period. He has been much better since. He is still a young kid with a lot to learn. Give him a ****ing break.

Hordichuk_24

La-La-Laprise said:
Hablover was being sarcastic.

Sorry, it was late at night when I posted that. I was pretty tired.

Either way, people are blowing this out of proportion. Brule does take penalties but what player doesn't? He plays a physical game, he is bound to take penalties. He took two dumb penalties in a game against Portland, he was benched for the entire 3rd period by Don Hay and ever since that game he has been MUCH better. He is still young people. He is still learning more and more each game. Give him a break....

E&M

Nov 18, 2004
Vancouver
Brule definitely takes too many stupid penalties. I wish Don Hay would let him fight again sometimes. Maybe he could take his anger out by fighting instead of doing something stupid like he has done far too many times this year.

As far as saying he's selfish.... who would pass the puck if their linemates were Tim Kraus and Mitch Bartley ;)

Brule definitely hasn't been playing that great lately even though he continues to put up the points. Hopefully he will return to his early season form and can impress tonight and tomorrow night at the top prospects game/skills competition.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Maybe if there were any tough guys on the Giants other than Grant then Brule would not have to constantly defend himself. With Kassian gone the Giants are physically vulnerable.

AgentNaslund*

cmon guys, we all follow the NHL, this is stupid. Hes 5'10, ye hes 5'10, do you honestly think he stopped growing, holy *****, some people here.

Chuck Kobasew. Draft day 2001, He was listed as 5'11, 4 years later now hes 6'1
Alexander Semin, Draft day, small centerman, 5'11, now 3 years later hes 6'1,
Jordon Leopold, draft day, 5'11, now hes listed as 6'1,
Jeff Carter, 6'3, 183 pounds, 1.5 years later, hes 6'4, 207
Bryan Berrard, when drafted he was 6'0 feet tall, now hes 6'2.

my point is, hes probably gonna grow. Hes probably gonna end up around 5'11.

as for anyone wants to know how what he plays like.

Offence

His offence is very good. Saw him along witht he other prospects at the skills competition. They had a 3 on 3 game, between the balcks and whites. Brule had like 4 break away. HIs offence is good. not Crosby good, but good. Good players, sniper, good speed. Hes gonna damn good. Whish Canucks can try to find a way to ndraft him

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
5'10", 5'11" or 6'0". Does it really matter for an offensive player? He's not a defenseman who is going to get overpowered. We aren't talking about a smurf sized 160lb weakling (aka Kariya). The kid can skate very well and that's the main thing a guy his size needs to compensate for not being 6'4" and crushing people.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
AgentNaslund said:
cmon guys, we all follow the NHL, this is stupid. Hes 5'10, ye hes 5'10, do you honestly think he stopped growing, holy *****, some people here.

Chuck Kobasew. Draft day 2001, He was listed as 5'11, 4 years later now hes 6'1
Alexander Semin, Draft day, small centerman, 5'11, now 3 years later hes 6'1,
Jordon Leopold, draft day, 5'11, now hes listed as 6'1,
Jeff Carter, 6'3, 183 pounds, 1.5 years later, hes 6'4, 207
Bryan Berrard, when drafted he was 6'0 feet tall, now hes 6'2.

my point is, hes probably gonna grow. Hes probably gonna end up around 5'11.

as for anyone wants to know how what he plays like.

Offence

His offence is very good. Saw him along witht he other prospects at the skills competition. They had a 3 on 3 game, between the balcks and whites. Brule had like 4 break away. HIs offence is good. not Crosby good, but good. Good players, sniper, good speed. Hes gonna damn good. Whish Canucks can try to find a way to ndraft him
I think that its more that size coupled with the way he plays. Clark and JR have had a ton of injuries over the years. Smaller to med. sized guys with an overly abrasive style might end up playing 40-50 games a year. I'm not sure if Brule can play a less intense game and still be a star. While I haven't seen Johnson play he sounds like the second coming of Potvin, I'm not sure I would want my favorite team to pass on that for a guy with some big question marks.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I find it amusing that many people who agree with Jack Johnson being ranked above Brule point to Brule's "stupid penalties", while overlooking Johnson's propensity to do the same. Heck, Johnson got ejected from a game in Cleveland, early in this season, when he went after a player and viciously crosschecked him after taking offense to the treatment he'd received from that opposing player.

There are more similarities in Johnson's and Brule's temperment and on-ice demeanor than there are differences. Although both players might have to tone down their nastiness in the future it's that part of their game (moreso with Johnson) which I think makes them more attractive prospects.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Chief said:
I find it amusing that many people who agree with Jack Johnson being ranked above Brule point to Brule's "stupid penalties", while overlooking Johnson's propensity to do the same. Heck, Johnson got ejected from a game in Cleveland, early in this season, when he went after a player and viciously crosschecked him after taking offense to the treatment he'd received from that opposing player.

There are more similarities in Johnson's and Brule's temperment and on-ice demeanor than there are differences. Although both players might have to tone down their nastiness in the future it's that part of their game (moreso with Johnson) which I think makes them more attractive prospects.

Nice observation. Thats definitely something to consider.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Rankings

trahans99 said:
Has his play dropped this season or just the hype? He was the undisputed #2 for the past year and now Johnson is ahead of him according to the ISS. Is the ISS down on him or has his play slipped? I thought I saw him tied in the league lead for points or very close to it last week. Or has Johnson just made huge strides to overtake Brule? And if so why was he left off the US team for Brian Lee :shakehead

Never mind that last part, that was a big mistake by the US we all know it.

It's just IMG promoting another of their players. Johnson is IMG's top DMan in this age group and they are promoting him as the top AMERICAN player. A little hype on any player isn't conclusive on how he will be drafted.

You will only know how highly rated a player actually is once the draft is complete.

AgentNaslund*

Brule ties a CHL prospects game record recording 4 points 3 goals 1 assist.
Sets a new record by most goals scored.

He was awesome tonight. Offensively he has it. Hes a very good back checker. For a long time, after Crosby, he was ranked as the next best prospect, lived up to that, expectation by playing awesome tonight. Had enough scoring chances to score 3 more goals.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Gilbert Brule Center
Born Jan 1 1987 -- North Vancouver, BC
Height 5.10 -- Weight 165 -- Shoots R

Thats hockeydb.com stat

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
tuckerdomi said:
Is Brule really 165 pounds?
I've seen him in person 5-10 times, he has to be around 180. I am 170, and he is shorter than me by a few inches, but quite a bit broader.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Chief said:

Good to Know

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I know nothing about this player, or any junior player for that matter, as I never watch Jr. hockey outside of the Worlds.

I am just curious, why the emphasis on HEIGHT ?

Shouldn't WEIGHT be far more important ?

In fact, let's say we have 2 players that weigh 210 pounds. One is 5'10, the other 6'4.

I'd much rather have the stocky 5'10 guy. He'd have a low centre of gravity, be very strong, and be hard to knock off the puck (Scott Walker ?) The 6'4 guy might be skinny and not that strong (Patrice Brisebois ?).

Brule is listed (Van Giants website) at 5'11, 180. That's okay for an offensive player. By the time he's in the NHL, he might be 190 or 195.

Is he a fast skater (I assume he is) ? Because if you're smallish, lack of speed can hold you back (Corey Locke, Kyle Wellwood).

And if he is feisty, as people say, that gives him a far greater chance than a passive player like Wellwood (sorry to pick on him. I just don't know too much about too many young players).

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Its not all about Points people.

I heard he droped because of his dumb ass penalties.

You don't just drop somebody for Penalties! Thats amateurish and shows no credibility! You can always work on guys not taking penalties! Brule has all the skills and is a hell of a player and showed go #2!

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Vincent_TheGreat said:
You don't just drop somebody for Penalties! Thats amateurish and shows no credibility! You can always work on guys not taking penalties! Brule has all the skills and is a hell of a player and showed go #2!
Yeah but when a guy like Johnson is so close to him in terms of talent then things like discipline do matter when deciding who to pick.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
I've seen him in person 5-10 times, he has to be around 180. I am 170, and he is shorter than me by a few inches, but quite a bit broader.

I've seen him in person quite a few times too and I'd say he's about 5'10/half at least 180 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad