Brule in '05-'06?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
OK ... granting all of the relevant contingencies (e.g., there's a season, Brule belongs to some NHL team, said team is production-challenged enough to accommodate the introduction of a newbie, etc.) ... Is Gilbert Brule (going to be) the kind of player who steps right into the NHL in '05-'06?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
gonzopher said:
OK ... granting all of the relevant contingencies (e.g., there's a season, Brule belongs to some NHL team, said team is production-challenged enough to accommodate the introduction of a newbie, etc.) ... Is Gilbert Brule (going to be) the kind of player who steps right into the NHL in '05-'06?

He'll have all the chances in the world and yes he can step into the league next year, provided he works out this summer but in all honesty I can't see him getting much more than 4th line ice time with maybe a vouple of shifts on the first line.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
I see Brule taking 3-4 years before making an impact. Something between the time it took Thorton and Doan to make an impact for their respective teams.

LovestheO

Jun 23, 2004
Whatever you guys are smoking, I want some. Brule is a smurf going nowhere, and as he is a good skater, he will get there quickly. Does anyone remember Corey Locke? Brule is not capable of carrying Corey's duffel bag. Where is he now? Why could he not make the jump into the NHL? How about Mike Camalleri? Too small!! What makes you think Brule is any better. Brule will be a decent AHL player for a long time. The NHL is for big hockey players!!!!

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
LovestheO said:
Whatever you guys are smoking, I want some. Brule is a smurf going nowhere, and as he is a good skater, he will get there quickly. Does anyone remember Corey Locke? Brule is not capable of carrying Corey's duffel bag. Where is he now? Why could he not make the jump into the NHL? How about Mike Camalleri? Too small!! What makes you think Brule is any better. Brule will be a decent AHL player for a long time. The NHL is for big hockey players!!!!
Er, Corey Locke hasn't even had a chance to try out for the NHL BECAUSE THERE'S NO SEASON HALFWIT!!!

LovestheO

Jun 23, 2004
I could be wrong, as I am a half wit, but Corey Locke is a 1984 birth date. That leads me to beleive that there has been an opportunity for him to have had an NHL tryout. I think that he was drafted by the Canadians. But I'm sure that you knew that. As for the St. Louis comment, yea, what a great player. But how many are out there? And how long did it take him to play in the show? Is Brule that one in a million? I think you are confusing him with Crosby. Or is this the year of the smurfs?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
"How many are there?"

25 out of the top 75 in scoring were Brules size OR BELOW.

rtafts

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
LovestheO said:
I could be wrong, as I am a half wit, but Corey Locke is a 1984 birth date. That leads me to beleive that there has been an opportunity for him to have had an NHL tryout. I think that he was drafted by the Canadians. But I'm sure that you knew that. As for the St. Louis comment, yea, what a great player. But how many are out there? And how long did it take him to play in the show? Is Brule that one in a million? I think you are confusing him with Crosby. Or is this the year of the smurfs?
So let me get this straight...every player should be in the league, and contributing, by 20? ****ing moron...And Brule is 5'11"...not really that small...also, he's 17. Do people always stop growing at/before 17? No...

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
LovestheO said:

You're an idiot. Locke is 5'8, Brule is 5'11.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
Brule's frame reminds me very much of Matt Cooke and his size hasn't hurt him in the NHL. People get way to hung up on height/weight on here when a players frame and strength are far more important.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Leachmeister2000 said:
Er, Corey Locke hasn't even had a chance to try out for the NHL BECAUSE THERE'S NO SEASON HALFWIT!!!
Calling him a halfwit is a complement...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
rival said:
Brule's frame reminds me very much of Matt Cooke and his size hasn't hurt him in the NHL. People get way to hung up on height/weight on here when a players frame and strength are far more important.
Brule will be around the same size as Cooke in all likely hood, and similar as grit is concerned, but he is eons more skilled.

Brule will probably finish off around 5'11 or 6'0 and 200-210 lbs.

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Do people always stop growing at/before 17? No...

Yes, people are usually done growing height wise by 17.... even earlier than that in many instances. I remember a couple years ago when Crosby was 15 years old and was something like 5'9... I suggested that he was basically done growing and I had everyone all riled up... and what is Crosby now? Yup... didn't do a whole lot of growing, did he? 5'11 isn't that small though so size isn't a major problem in Brule's case.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
jtuzzi21 said:
Calling him a halfwit is a complement...

Yeap, Leachmeister2000 is definitely overestimating his wit.

dallas81838 said:
Yes, people are usually done growing height wise by 17.... even earlier than that in many instances. I remember a couple years ago when Crosby was 15 years old and was something like 5'9... I suggested that he was basically done growing and I had everyone all riled up... and what is Crosby now? Yup... didn't do a whole lot of growing, did he? 5'11 isn't that small though so size isn't a major problem in Brule's case.

Crosby is 5'11 now and only 17. He could be done growing now, or he could keep growing till he's 21 and end up at ~6'1. You can't predict it, so why waste your time?

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Crosby is 5'11 now and only 17. He could be done growing now, or he could keep growing till he's 21 and end up at ~6'1. You can't predict it, so why waste your time?

Are you sure Crosby is 5'11"? From what I've read he's 5'10". And no, Crosby will never be 6'1".... no question. Go take a look at some growth charts... anything more than an inch of growth after 17 is highly unlikely. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule, but generally the rule is pretty good, and predicting someone's growth isn't a complete guess.

Last edited:

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
The funny thing about it, is all of a sudden........a 5'11" player is going to "bust", but a 6 foot guy is going to do wonders. There's little to no difference.

Naslund's only 6 feet. So that 1 inch (seriously, take our your ruler) is going to render Brule an insignificant player? A guy's weight is more of a factor than height. A 180 lbs guy might have troubles cracking the league, as he'll probably be at around a 20lbs disadvantage. But 1 or 2 inches? Means almost nothing.

Marek Malik is a 6'5" giant, yet he's no superstar defenceman like Lidstrom is, and he's ONLY 6'2".

People who write off players due to their height (assuming it's not massive, like a player's only 5'5"-that'd take true talent and dedication) need to give their heads a shake.

*********NEWS FLASH**************

JOE SAKIC'S ONLY 5'11". WHAT A FLOP! :lol :lol

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Mark my words, Brule is going to be a star very soon! If it wasnt for Crosby he would be number 1 for sure. I just love the guy, he oozes potential. He will be a top line player, by top line i mean TOP LINE

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
ic3man24 said:
Mark my words, Brule is going to be a star very soon! If it wasnt for Crosby he would be number 1 for sure. I just love the guy, he oozes potential. He will be a top line player, by top line i mean TOP LINE

You may be correct. Brule seems to be a guy who may rise above. However, it is a very legitimate question to ask because it is a challenge for a small guy to make it. I am not saying they can't. It is just a challenge. The question is do you upgrade a guy with size and aggression and hope he displays talent? There is way too much insulting and way too little thinking going on in this thread. If Brule was 6'3 he might be 1st overall. He could also suffer lots of injuries because of size.

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
The funny thing about it, is all of a sudden........a 5'11" player is going to "bust", but a 6 foot guy is going to do wonders. There's little to no difference.

Totally agree here. What's with the magic 6 foot mark? Brule's size won't hold him back...

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
dallas81838 said:
Totally agree here. What's with the magic 6 foot mark? Brule's size won't hold him back...

Likewise, a 7'8" guy means almost nothing. Injuries happen to players of any size. Doesn't seem like Theoren Fleury or St.Louis have had many serious injuries. But whoa! Look at Mr.Lindros! That guy has more injuries in a year then I have runny noses!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I grew an inch or so from the time I was 17 to the time I was 19. I also gained 20 pounds. I'm not an athlete. If brule gains an inch and 20 pounds as I did, he'll be bigger than Doug Gilmour, Pat Verbeek, Theo Fleury, Martin St. Louis, Pavel Datsyuk, Scott Gomez, Mike Comrie, Daniel Briere, and dozens and dozens of other guys that have made an impact in the NHL in the last 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad