Post-Game Talk: Bruins win 5-2. What a surprise!

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't put too much stock in "body language" analysis from people watching in the stands but the losing has to be getting to every player. It is a toxic environment and I bet every one of them would jump at the chance to get traded somewhere else. I sure as hell would.

Buffalo's reason for sending #2 overall Sam Reinhart down was because they didnt want him to experience that type of losing.

Imagine.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Can you really just single yak out like that? A lot of people on this team look "out of it." Hell, even eakins probably knows he's getting canned soon (hopefully).

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think I might honestly be done with this team for the season.

I know the hope for Eakins being fired is still keeping lots of people going, but I don't think it's going to happen. He's MacT's guy. Eakins is going to survive at least until the offseason.

I'm not convinced a coaching change will make much of a difference for this season anyway.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I only watched the second period. It was so bad I went back to work. Can't wait to watch in Buffalo tomorrow though. :nod:

Nice to see Gordon finally get a bit of a reward for all the tireless work he does. Damn right the fourth line should be getting some PP minutes given the putrid state of it atm.
May as well reward the guys who are actually trying.

You would think that seeing a team mate work that hard, take all the important draws, get all the worst zone starts, face all the toughest matchups and kill penalties would force you to up your own level of intensity. The fourth line has been a model of consistency and effort all season. If the whole team played as hard we'd have more wins.

I thought Aulie was OK in the shifts I saw him take. Klefbom too. Ben Scrivens not so much.

Bye bye Eakins. I don't see how he can possibly save his job after a loss in Buffalo.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Didn't even bother to watch tonight.

Took until about game 65 or so last year for me to get to that point.

This organization is rotten. The coach has got to go, but more importantly, Lowe, MacT and Howson need to go with him.

I fully expect the Oilers to come out flat and get outworked and outplayed by a terrible, terrible Buffalo team and lose. Probably get a point in OT.

I decided not to get Center Ice a few weeks ago. Money well not spent. Besides, I can at least watch good highlights on the NHL app.

I'll miss watching the Oilers but I felt I had to do something to boycott this garbage organization.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Buffalo's reason for sending #2 overall Sam Reinhart down was because they didnt want him to experience that type of losing.

Imagine.

That might have been the official reason, but one look at his stat line can give a stronger argument that he simply was overwhelmed at the NHL level...

1 assist in 9 games, only 3 shots on goal, and a horrifically bad 24.4% on faceoffs.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ahh... the frustration of a young team.

I was at the game last night and those Oilers were putting on a clinic of puck possession and solid defense for most of the first two periods. Bruins fans all around me were commenting on how mature a road game they were playing.

Aaaannnddd then the wheels fell off in a big way. There's no excuse for the third period... where the F was the time out to settle and encourage the troops? You could just feel the momentum change after the 2nd disallowed goal.

I was sitting behind the net and I actually thought the Oil looked pretty structurally sound for most of the game. I think this game was lost on emotion and belief, and that's what really hurts and spells trouble.

Eakins only has these guys believing that, no matter what, they WILL make that critical mistake. That perfection is the only key to victory and that they clearly aren't perfect..... therefore when one thing goes wrong, cue the full unravel.

Anyway,... that's my take from the cheap seats.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
I think I might honestly be done with this team for the season.

I know the hope for Eakins being fired is still keeping lots of people going, but I don't think it's going to happen. He's MacT's guy. Eakins is going to survive at least until the offseason.

I'm not convinced a coaching change will make much of a difference for this season anyway.

I decided last night that I'm gonna take a break from watching the Oilers. I want hockey to be fun, not an empty ritual.

Instead, I plan on watching classic hockey games, hockey documentaries, hockey movies and reading hockey books. I may tune into the odd non Oiler game or the Medicine Hat Tigers if they are on TV.

That will take me to World Juniors, which is always fun to watch.

Until we meet again Oilers.

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
I watched the game and thye played not bad. the hockey gods giveth and they taketh. They gave 2 no goal calls which was pretty funny. They did let few calls goal. On the 1st penalty I think the ref interfered with out D man which led to the gong show which led to the call which they plunked in the net. So we get penalty when they scored which was funny. This is where I think a good coach calls a time out and says boys lets just settle it down. Eakins doesn't and they plunk another one in. The management of the game from behind the bench is mind numbing. Anything to break the momentum. Remember when Rollie's mask came flying off... checking sticks, fixing ice anything fer effs sake.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Ahh... the frustration of a young team.

I was at the game last night and those Oilers were putting on a clinic of puck possession and solid defense for most of the first two periods. Bruins fans all around me were commenting on how mature a road game they were playing.

Aaaannnddd then the wheels fell off in a big way. There's no excuse for the third period... where the F was the time out to settle and encourage the troops? You could just feel the momentum change after the 2nd disallowed goal.

I was sitting behind the net and I actually thought the Oil looked pretty structurally sound for most of the game. I think this game was lost on emotion and belief, and that's what really hurts and spells trouble.

Eakins only has these guys believing that, no matter what, they WILL make that critical mistake. That perfection is the only key to victory and that they clearly aren't perfect..... therefore when one thing goes wrong, cue the full unravel.

Anyway,... that's my take from the cheap seats.

Not so sure about that observation. While they were playing a decent road game in the first they still made far too many of their usual, shockingly stupid give aways and dangerous moves in the 1st.

On the upside they cleaned that all up in the second and the start of the 3rd. But then, just like clockwork, something didn't go their way and the cart wheels fell off. That and the Bruins actually woke up and started playing hockey after the 2nd disallowed goal.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
The oilers have been an embarrassment for a decade, the NHL simply doesn't care if one of it's owners is really good at hiring the absolute worst hockey executives possible to run a franchise.
that's right...

the nhl stood around and did nothing when dollar bill wirtz drove the hawks into the ground in 2000s.....

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
That might have been the official reason, but one look at his stat line can give a stronger argument that he simply was overwhelmed at the NHL level...

1 assist in 9 games, only 3 shots on goal, and a horrifically bad 24.4% on faceoffs.

Of course his statline looks like that. That's why you don't just look at his statline.
His linemates were Cody McCormick and Nicolas Deslauriers. I think his icetime was less than 11 minutes a game.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I decided not to get Center Ice a few weeks ago. Money well not spent. Besides, I can at least watch good highlights on the NHL app.

I'll miss watching the Oilers but I felt I had to do something to boycott this garbage organization.

On the contrary, I contemplated getting it this year for the first time because I'm tired of watching the Oilers on TV, and wanted the chance to watch more NHL hockey teams play.

I'm done with the Oilers this season.

I'm starting to find myself rooting for the Flames. That's how you build a team.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Of course his statline looks like that. That's why you don't just look at his statline.
His linemates were Cody McCormick and Nicolas Deslauriers. I think his icetime was less than 11 minutes a game.

Stauffer was interviewing Brian Duff (Sabres pbp guy, I think) today, and asked him about Reinhart. Brian told him that he was sent down because he wasn't strong enough, and that even during the prospect tournament/preseason he was finding the speed of the games a challenge to process...that every now and then you'd see a flash of the elite hockey sense and understanding of the game that he's known for, but for the most part he was not close to being ready.

Not one mention about "protecting him from losing", wherever that came from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad