Post-Game Talk: Bruins win 2-1!!!

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Worst player on the ice? I think that is a bit of an overstatement.

He made a few bad pinches, bad passes and Claude made him pay for it, but I think there were a few Flyers out there playing ECHL hockey.

Dougie made good plays, only to give the puck up in a worse position, making the situation exponentially worse than if he had just made a bad play in the first place. His turnovers were responsible for at least 3-4 of the Flyers 5 really good scoring chances, including the goal. He had 2 really good plays in the offensive zone that weren't followed by turnovers, but they were early on in the game. Worst player on the ice might not necessarily be accurate in regards to the minutes he played compared to Flyers D who may have made similar mistakes, but for a Bruins fan who didn't deeply analyse every bad play by Flyers players and noting who made them, it sure could seem that way.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
From the forward group Soderberg was the most impressive, no idea why he didn't was one of the three stars of the game.
His line was really carrying the play and they all had great chemistry. Kelly also impressed me, he was really good together with the two Swedes. I think that Clode needs to keep that line together, they will be one if not the best 3rd lines in the league.

The Bergeron line also had a good game. Smith didn't lose a step, pretty sure he will score 30 goals this year. His passing ability is ridiculous.

Spooner had some good plays but that line was pretty invisible. Nothing to worry about, they will be already playing much better today against Detroit. I give them some time to find their chemistry.

The 4th line was great. Love the energy Cunningham and Robins bring to the team and it looks like Cunningham will be a great pk asset.

Chara and Hamilton had a rough night. Especially Hamilton made a tons of errors. Nothing to worry about, it was the first game and he will bring us great joy during the remainder of the season.

Seidenberg and McQuaid both looked ok. Great to see both of them back on the ice. Soon they will be playing like before their respective injuries and solidify our defense. Was pretty impressed with McQuaid out there, he didn't miss a step and looked pretty good handling the puck. Nice to see him take a lots of shots.

Krug was the best of all defenders. Awesome game by him. If he keeps it up he will be even better than last year. Looks like he put on some weight. The opposing players couldn't separate him from the puck and he also won a good dose of battles along the boards.

Miller had an ok game, nothing spectacular both he did his job.

Rask was really solid and calm.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I said this last year and i'll say it again... Carl Soderberg is a special talent. Soda and Eriksson together is great, they really have good chemistry.

Robins belongs on this team, it's amazing to have a forward who actually isn't afraid to take some runs and hold guys accountable.

McQuaid was also good last night. He's a really smart player, and does the right thing almost every time.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
overall, I thought the team looked pretty good last night. The defense was a bit sloppy, Hamilton especially, but I think they will iron that out as the season progresses (I don't expect this team to not address that ASAP).

I thought every line looke very good, except for the Lucic, Spooner, and Fraser line. I know Lucic is obviously off, but I didn't see much from Spooner or Fraser that impressd me; but admittedly it's a small sample size.

I was very impressed with the fourth line last night; great energy, physical, and that grinding shift that drew a penalty in the final five minutes is exactly what you'd like to see. Cunningham was much better than I expected, and Robins is exactly what I was hoping for. But again, small sample size.

we'll see how they look tonight!!

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Not to be forgotten.....Bergeron stole Giroux's lunch money. :laugh:

Read a bit of the Philly game thread and they were talking about that. How boston outshot philly 16-3 when both were on the ice. How giroux only won a few face offs against him. How giroux was invisible. Etc.
For a second I thought it would be a project to collect those kind of posts from opposing fans for every game and bring them out of your hip pocket for the next 'Bergeron is over-rated' he boards rants.
I always think it's the eastern teams with top flight centres philly, Pitts, tb, etc. that realize how good Bergeron is.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Re: the new system and our lack of footspeed on D, ironically it looked like Dougie and Krug were the 2 that had the most trouble with it. The idea is that you need the support from that high forward to do it as well, so it may just be that the kids aren't as adept at reading the right time to do it.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Really impressed with Craig Cunningham. Kid is a firecracker.

Bobby Robins impressed me with his boardwork. No quit in him.

Leave the 2 Swedes and the Scot together.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
man I just loved the team's effort last night. I said it last night...on paper they are worse, but they can compensate for that by bringing this kind of effort every night.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I've been seeing Cunningham as Campbell's eventual replacement for some time now. That's an excellent start for him. Heady player, good skates and seemed to have fun out there.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I wonder if Krug could play second pair with Seids although Krug scared me last season if he was playing second pair minutes but Seids and Krug might be complementary.

Dougie hopefully won't be that bad again. That has to be one of the worst games he has played in a long time. But then developing the defensive game is often 2 steps forward one step back.

Soderberg's line was the most effective.

Bergeron's line played well.

4th line looked fast and brought the energy.

Spooner's line was a mish, mash-Looch was the invisible man, Spooner had some good and bad moments and Fraser didn't look good or terrible-he was just blah.

The return of Krejci will change some of this and I figure Spooner will be the odd man out when Krejci returnsand he will head back to Providence.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I've been seeing Cunningham as Campbell's eventual replacement for some time now. That's an excellent start for him. Heady player, good skates and seemed to have fun out there.

I don't follow Providence but I think the kid could probably replace Campbell now and allow the team to move him if necessary-I like Campbell a lot (and my daughter will be heartbroken if they move both Boychuk and Campbell) but I liked the way that 4th line skated.

member 96824

Need to get Craig and Bobby some new numbers. #61 and #64 is like nails on a chalkboard :laugh:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
one thing I really like about Cunningham is that he has much better speed than Campbell. That line really had some hustle last night.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
kelly had a great game.
skating, great stick position, scored the winner.
To say we didnt miss this guy against mtl last year

soderberg not being the #1 star last nite is baffling.
I dont even think he got a top 3 in that game.

Im all for giving bart another shot. Just wish he had the hockey sense.

be interesting to see where we are at in 10 games.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Nice W last night, with the injuries and players missing camp I'll be happy with 6-3-1 in the first 10 games.

hubey

Nov 19, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan

Totally agree Ali. Cunningham and Robins bring so much energy and physicality, opponent's defense will panic when these guys are on the forecheck. Both were better than I expected.

And your boy Kelly had a great game with the Swedes last night. They have so much chemistry.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Your McQuaid bashing is hilariously wrong. He may have been our best overall defender last night and didn't look at all bad playing on the second pairing. He carried Seidenberg for large portions of the game and played great minutes. He was excellent in the offensive zone too. Got the puck on the net several times and made some really pinches to keep plays alive. I think he stays on the second pair until he holds the play back when he is on the ice.

Looking at the ice time last night too, I think Julien really wants to go for a more equitable distribution of minutes. Nearly all the D played right around the 20:00 mark. One could argue that there won't be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pairings this year. And for the sake of argument, if Miller is a better D, I would rather have him play with Krug and be in position to bail out Krug's inevitable overstretching on offense.

You're right. I think perhaps my favorite play of the night was when McQuaid blindly threw the puck from his corner straight into his own crease nearly leading to a goal against. :sarcasm:

I agree somewhat with your 2nd point, I think Julien will follow suit with what he did in the playoffs (every dman except the top pairing just under 20 minutes) until we get a top 4 upgrade and we can run with it. I do think we absolutely still have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pairing -- Chara still gets the toughest matchups, and Krug will still get the sheltered minutes. But Krug looked excellent last night, and took a monster hit in stride perfectly.

one thing I really like about Cunningham is that he has much better speed than Campbell. That line really had some hustle last night.

That is a new look 4th line I can get behind.

Paille-Cunningham-Robins
Paile-Cunningham-Kelly if we ever get a top notch forward to bump the depth down and aren't playing a rival.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If Linblad plays well in Providence I can see them battling for the spot by mid season.

I know Shawn Thornton played multiple seasons as an NHL 4th line regular, but the way he was used as the permanent man in that spot, even in the playoffs when his duties were absolutely unnecessary, has fully convinced me that Claude is not going to re-sell the spot to someone else mid-season. That would be very unlikely anything I've ever seen out of CJ.

It blew my mind that he was actively shuffling lines last night. The dude is the biggest stickler, personnel wise, in the league. Once spots have been established, that's usually your spot for the long run, no matter what happens as the season progresses.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I know Shawn Thornton played multiple seasons as an NHL 4th line regular, but the way he was used as the permanent man in that spot, even in the playoffs when his duties were absolutely unnecessary, has fully convinced me that Claude is not going to re-sell the spot to someone else mid-season. That would be very unlikely anything I've ever seen out of CJ.

It blew my mind that he was actively shuffling lines last night. The dude is the biggest stickler, personnel wise, in the league. Once spots have been established, that's usually your spot for the long run, no matter what happens as the season progresses.

The one year that wasn't the case? The year we won the Cup and he out-coached Philly and Vancouver especially. Interesting.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
The one year that wasn't the case? The year we won the Cup and he out-coached Philly and Vancouver especially. Interesting.

He was kind of forced to bench Thornton though. I mean

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergeron Recchi
Ryder Kelly Seguin
Paille Campbell Peverley

Who are you gonna bench there with the way Seguin played the first couple games? Seguin sat eventually too.

acr*

You're right. I think perhaps my favorite play of the night was when McQuaid blindly threw the puck from his corner straight into his own crease nearly leading to a goal against. :sarcasm:

I agree somewhat with your 2nd point, I think Julien will follow suit with what he did in the playoffs (every dman except the top pairing just under 20 minutes) until we get a top 4 upgrade and we can run with it. I do think we absolutely still have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pairing -- Chara still gets the toughest matchups, and Krug will still get the sheltered minutes. But Krug looked excellent last night, and took a monster hit in stride perfectly.

That is a new look 4th line I can get behind.

Paille-Cunningham-Robins
Paile-Cunningham-Kelly if we ever get a top notch forward to bump the depth down and aren't playing a rival.

All of our D had at least one hilariously awful mistake last night. Hamilton and Seidenberg made terrible decisions with the puck all night and looked far worse than McQuaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad