Boston Globe Bruins voice Jack Edwards not optimistic NHL will be able to finish season

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
There’s no reason? Off the top I have a few questions.

How much do you think that would cost the owners night in and night out? It’s certainly not a profitable endeavor.
Are the players immune to COVID-19? How about the trainers? Arena staff?
How does the travel from city to city impact the spread?
Do they quarantine off the ice at all times?
What’s the upside?
Who’s legally liable if someone contracts COVID-19? Is the team being negligible by not following known measures?
I agree, I think these questions are just "off the top" and yet you've already slammed the issue closed. And hard.

Anyone looking for a "simple" answer is going to be really really disappointed. There is no simple answer/solution.

Reactions: Estlin

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Respectfully I think this is too extreme a position we are talking about 20 something professional athletes. They will be tested once and be OK to be around each other. They aren’t vulnerable or at risk. There will be nowhere open for them to go when they aren’t playing they’ll just hang with each other at the hotel.

Spring training model is a great idea. NBA in Vegas works. NHL in Grand Forks and Manchester.
With all due respect, you need to take a little bit of time and FULLY think this out. Imagine your boss has just called you into a meeting and given you the assignment of finishing out the NHL season and playoffs however you see fit. Empty arenas, one "spring training" location, etc., etc., etc. Whatever you think is best. Fill your boots.

Now get a pad of paper and put down the following columns:

Arenas
Scheduling
Accommodations
Travel (even if it's getting all players to one location and then using vans)
Food
Training
Expiring contracts and free agents
Salary Cap implications
Compensation
Financials (who pays, where does revenue come from, etc)
Non player staffing for teams and all associated issues.
All other staffing outside of team staffing and all associated issues
Insurance
Legal waivers and contracts for services (non hockey players)

And that's not exhaustive. Not by a long shot.

Still, it would be enough for any sane person to turn around, knock on the door, and say "errrr Boss...... you got a second to talk this through a bit more? This might be a bit of a bigger issue than it looks on the surface."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad