Bruins player ratings as of 3/9/15

trudatman*

no idea what you are trying to imply.

everybody's favorite mythical creature seems to be pushing to make the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

trudatman*

well, I'd factor their +/- with their ESTOI to be sure, but if they are leading the league in +/- as I think you are suggesting, then, yeah, they are pretty good so far. thanks for catching the typo.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Exceeding expectations: Soderberg, Eriksson, Kelly, Svedberg (although he's right on the fringe of being inconclusive)
Meeting expectations: Bergeron, Smith, Krug
Close to meeting expectations: Miller, Krejci
Underwhelming, but not particularly bad: Chara, Marchand, Paille, Spooner
Not close to meeting expectations: Hamilton, Rask
Horrible: Lucic, Seidenberg, McQuaid, Fraser
Inconclusive: Bartkowski, Gagne, Campbell, Cunningham, Griffith, Robins, Caron

trudatman*

I like that list. here's mine:

exceeding: Svedberg, Miller, Kelly, Eriksson, Krug, Gagne
meeting: Krejci, Bergeron-Cleary
close: Soderberg, Marchand, Smith
underwhelming: Chara, Hamilton, Lucic, McQuaid, Fraser, Campbell
not close: Seidenberg, Paille, Griffith, Spooner, Cunningham, Robins, Caron
terrible: Bartkowski, Rask

Seidenberg looked a lot better yesterday and Soderberg looks like he has turned the corner on his rough start and is about to dominate. it'll be a shame if Miller is done because he has been a monster. Svedberg and Kelly are huge surprises for me, but they are as good as they've ever been right now. Eriksson doesn't deserve the crap he gets from Bruins fans. get over his season of injuries and see him now for what he really is, a great player. Krug has those very sheltered minutes, but he's making the most of them. Gagne has been good enough, for sure. Hamilton should be fine eventually. Chara needs to managed better and not be used in as many even-strength minutes. Lucic is not good. I'll be fine with not seeing Griffith, Spooner, Fraser, Cunningham, Robins and Caron again this season; let's see other kids like Khokhlachev, Knight, Florek, Lindblad, Pastrnak, Randell, Ferlin. I'm done with Bartkowski, give me Trotman, Morrow, Warsofsky. if it was my call, I'd take a fourth-round pick for Bartkowski and Caron, even from a rival just looking for some insight on the system/players.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Exceeding expectations: Soderberg, Eriksson, Kelly, Svedberg (although he's right on the fringe of being inconclusive)
Meeting expectations: Bergeron, Smith, Krug
Close to meeting expectations: Miller, Krejci
Underwhelming, but not particularly bad: Chara, Marchand, Paille, Spooner
Not close to meeting expectations: Hamilton, Rask
Horrible: Lucic, Seidenberg, McQuaid, Fraser
Inconclusive: Bartkowski, Gagne, Campbell, Cunningham, Griffith, Robins, Caron

I would endorse this post. Although despite not getting victimized with goals I think Miller looks as though he's regressed pretty dramatically. I'd move him down a few categories.

Think Looch is on the path to turning things around. Started to get the legs moving and throwing the body around against the Sabres. Need angry Looch to be effective.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Also if you're going to use +/- you may as well use a CORSI/FENWICK/PDO scores to give a better picture. Given the sample none will be all that great at this point, but at least they'll give a better picture. Soderberg for example has a decent CORSI but his PDO has been garbage because the B's save % when he's on the ice has been .852 so you can expect his +/- to improve as shooting %'s normalize. Krug on the other hand has had the benefit of a .944 save % so his +/- will likely regress.

Of course the answer is all information including actual production should be viewed in combination to reach any conclusions. But +/- is probably the least relevant piece you can use, especially in isolation.

trudatman*

full update.

big strides by the +2 guys tonight, Hamilton and Seidenberg. Soderberg unexpectedly regressed away from making that chart as the only minus for the Bruins in that last game after he seemed to have turned it the other way recently. Tuukka may have turned his downward spiral around -- here's hoping -- with a 0.970 for the night.

trudatman*

and here is the other end.

22 Jordan Caron -- BOS R 01 0 0 0 -1
23 Daniel Paille - BOS L 13 0 2 2 -2
23 Seth Griffith - BOS C 09 3 2 5 -2
23 Zdeno Chara --- BOS D 09 2 1 3 -2
23 Ryan Spooner -- BOS C 05 0 0 0 -2
27 Matt Bartkowski BOS D 05 0 0 0 -4

trudatman*

updated 11/8/14

explained in first post:

133 Miller
118 Marchand
107 Krejci
104 Eriksson
---
97 Warsofsky
97 Seidenberg
95 Morrow
95 Smith
95 Kelly
93 Trotman
91 Hamilton
90 Campbell
90 Krug
90 Bergeron-Cleary
90 Soderberg
85 Lucic
84 McQuaid
---
80 Robins
80 Cunningham
---
71 Gagne
67 Fraser
66 Griffith
66 Chara
60 Paille
38 Spooner
25 Bartkowski
---
-43 Caron

trudatman*

11/30/14 update

104 Krejci (=100)
101 Miller (=100)
101 Eriksson (=100)
---
97 Warsofsky
94 Marchand
94 Lucic
94 Campbell
93 Kelly
91 Bartkowski
91 Soderberg
89 Hamilton
86 Krug
86 McQuaid
85 Morrow
---
80 Robins
80 Seidenberg
80 Cunningham
80 Gagne
80 Fraser
---
77 Smith
76 Griffith
74 Bergeron-Cleary
72 Paille
72 Trotman
66 Chara
38 Spooner
---
-12 Khokhlachev (=25)
-91 Caron (=25)

89 Rask
86 Svedberg

what I take from this:

-Krejci is the Bruins' best player
-Eriksson haters are confused at best
-Bergeron-Cleary and Chara are having bad seasons so far
-Bartkowski really turned his trending around
-Caron is not an NHL player
-Miller has slipped a bit but is still dominating
-Kelly looks like he fixed whatever last season's issue was
-Spooner and Khokhlachev look like they should stay in the AHL
-Warsofsky made the best of his time so far with the NHL Bruins
-Svedberg came back down to Earth
-Rask has improved since his terrible start

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
How do you make that assumption about Spooner based on sample size, on the 4th line, alone?

Kelly looked like crap again lately, really, ever since that line's hot start.

Miller dominating?

Bergeron started slow with what was presumably some injury but looks normal again lately with Marchand carrying Smith for the most part.

I agree on Eriksson comment.

I think your ratings are more accurate for an entire season, but going from short period to short period I'm not sure you can draw the above conclusions so much.

How is Gagne not a -144 with Caron?

trudatman*

these ratings are not really opinions, but I also don't think Gagne has been all that bad. he sure hasn't been good, though, but he wasn't -2 in ten minutes of ice time (or whatever it was) like Caron. for those that still have small sample sizes, there may be more chances to change their ratings. I hope Spooner improves for this team, but it's looking like he isn't going to get another chance; he'll probably be added into the next trade.

yeah, a couple of months into the season is still early, but the numbers hint at trends like Marchand getting dragged down by Bergeron-Cleary's underprecedented slump and Smith's hot streak fizzling out. this point in the season is where I think these ratings really start to even out. I think it's fair to say now that Kelly is back to his old level of play and that Eriksson and Soderberg are for real. by the last update Bartkowski couldn't have been any worse, but in the mean time he has turned it around. imagine how that stretch would have rated to get him from a 25 to a 91!

trudatman*

[updated 12/7/14]

-Eriksson is coming back down to Earth with his rating
-Bartkowski has slipped a bit after rallying
-Morrow is climbing
-Kelly has fallen
-Rask is struggling

104 (=100) Krejci
101 (=100) Miller
---
98 Marchand
97 Warsofsky