Post-Game Talk: Bruins - Penguins Prospect Challege - Sept 15, 3:30 est

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It doesn't have to be. I refereed high-level HS soccer and hockey refs have told me that they think soccer is harder to ref than hockey. Hockey is faster, but the pitch is huge in soccer.

The hardest thing is having the courage to make the correct call. My advanced course was taught by a FIFA referee who said that, "The referee will always affect the outcome of the game. You can do it in a negative way by NOT making the call(s) or in a positive way by making the correct call(s)."

The 2010 FIFA WC was decided by two mistakes by a linesman in the Spain QF. Spain lost on the pitch 0-1, but won on the scoreboard because of two blown calls for offside.

Hockey refs screw up by not having the courage to make the correct calls, mostly by "managing" the game and not refereeing it. You must referee the game, NOT the scoreboard.

An example, walking off at halftime, a player said to me, "You're cheating us, ref; you called 3/4 of the fouls against us." I said, "That's because your team committed 3/4 of the fouls."

What NHL referee would have the courage to call 3/4 of the penalties against one team?

If I ran the NHL, the first thing I would do is hire someone from FIFA to run the referee program. Why? To completely change the culture of officiating.

So, you never actually referred hockey?

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Toporowski with many words between whistles. Marchand lite?
Pit kids were doing a certain amount of cross checking and slashing away from the puck, especially in the first two pds, and Topo was on the receiving end of some of it. Glad he pushed back and didn't put up with some of the silliness. They tried to get under Harrison's skin as well. He responded -- two goals.

On another note, I was expecting Topo and Poitras to look good, and they both had a very good game. Didn't know what to expect out of Harrison. Color me impressed. He got pushed around a little due to his lack of bulk, but man did he ever deliver when he had his chances. Smart player as well. He and Poitras both seem to have a good handle when it comes to anticipating the play and trying to get to the right spots on the ice. Only negative I saw was that it seems like he needs to work on his north-south speed a little. Fairly skilled kid for a late 3rd-round pick.

I don't get to watch Providence games. I can see why some people are so high on Merkulov. Can't wait to see him in actual pre-season games. Guys like him and Lysell seem kind of out of place in these prospect games in that they are clearly a notch or two above most everyone else on the ice.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Lysell - while he didn't get a chance to showcase his strong suit you could clearly see it in the few chances he had.

Poitras - 1st time I get to see him and the hype is justified. I'll go on record as calling him an NHL player.

Harrison and Topo - similar game for both , clearly players who are able too identify an opportunity.

Mast - I liked his game and clearly saw the Carlo comparisons. Moves well for a boy his size.

Lohrei- Again, I watched all his games in Prov and again today. Other than a good stick after a horror show on D I'm not seeing it.

Beecher- not impressed.......again.

Brunet had himself a under the radar very good game.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pit kids were doing a certain amount of cross checking and slashing away from the puck, especially in the first two pds, and Topo was on the receiving end of some of it. Glad he pushed back and didn't put up with some of the silliness. They tried to get under Harrison's skin as well. He responded -- two goals.

On another note, I was expecting Topo and Poitras to look good, and they both had a very good game. Didn't know what to expect out of Harrison. Color me impressed. He got pushed around a little due to his lack of bulk, but man did he ever deliver when he had his chances. Smart player as well. He and Poitras both seem to have a good handle when it comes to anticipating the play and trying to get to the right spots on the ice. Only negative I saw was that it seems like he needs to work on his north-south speed a little. Fairly skilled kid for a late 3rd-round pick.

I don't get to watch Providence games. I can see why some people are so high on Merkulov. Can't wait to see him in actual pre-season games. Guys like him and Lysell seem kind of out of place in these prospect games in that they are clearly a notch or two above most everyone else on the ice.
Yes - Lysell certainly wasn’t out their against Vegas defense, yet last January- April struggles seemed to be in rear view mirror the way he navigated today

I’m sure his idea is make the Boston Bruins but I’d like to see 50 games in Providence where he stays in one piece and consistently stands out and shows creativity and playmaking

As a long time AHL season ticket holder going back to atleast 2003 with Lowell Locmonsters that league is dirtier and full cheap shots you don’t see in the NHL.

If Lysell can do his 50 and show he can be a threat to make things happen on the wing I’m Donny Hockey I do a cartwheel and get his ass up to Boston

If they can hit on Lysell that sets their right wing group with any team

Gotta stay healthy and learn to protect himself and not be a hero

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Think if I've been reading correctly, no one questioned the hype about his shot - it's the rest of the package that may or may not become real
Providence coach has been quoted a lot the last couple of days and it’s clear they teach their guys 3 zones and defense is high priority

Harrison shot will be more prevalent if he’s earned the better offensive players and power play

He’s one to watch - I remember reading a lot of similar stuff about Toffoli coming out and he dropped - not saying he’s him because I’ve never seen Harrison in a live game - yet similarities in concerns and both could shoot

Reactions: Over the volcano

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Toporowski seems comfortable and polished like been around 5-6 years in NHL

He is very interesting- he seems like he will put up AHL numbers but could translate if gets chance up - he’s not afraid and he’s finding ice where things happen

Worst case scenario fun guy to watch in Providence but definitely can see him being in Boston at some point

That comment is like a kid banging on the gorilla’s glass

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

That's what had me the most impressed with Poitras, especially in the first period. Kid killed it in all three zones. He was a monster on one of the PKs. Single-handedly killed a good amount of time with his stellar D against multiple Pens, behind the Pens net out of all things. Away from the puck he just knows where to be and makes quick decisions. It'll be cool to see how he does against better competition as his development progresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad