Post-Game Talk: Bruins - Penguins Prospect Challege - Sept 15, 3:30 est

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
We are comfortable at 32

Not sure if anyone wears 32 or if it’s going to rafters for Sweeney (1000 games as a Bruins: 2 time GM of the year; architect of greatest team : regular season and thru 4 playoff games) but they should give it to Poitras as a reminder of the Canadian bias by Toronto fanboys rating prospect pools
Your boy Farinacci is wearing 32. Seems apt.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It was difficult to make out who some of the players were yesterday....

Anybody recall how Farinacci played?

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
How was Edward?
I thought he looked very good, and he played his off side, with Brunet playing the left side. He was very comfortable on his off side. They looked like they've played together for years. :)

They're almost twins, both 6'3" and almost identical weight at just over 200.

I wouldn't put too much stock in how guys like Lysell, Beecher, Lohrei, and Merkulov looked. It was game 1 of the Prospects Challenge. Those dudes already know they are going to get hard looks later on. No point in going all out and risking injury of some sort against a mediocre-at-best prospects team in mid-September given that their chance to make the Bs will come in October.

Don't produce in actual pre-season games and nobody gives two flying craps what you did in some prospects game. I see these prospects games as tune-ups for the upper-tier players. Also gives the less-ready younger kids at least some competence on the ice to better show what they have.
It's ok for a veteran to take that approach, but for someone trying to make the team, you can never take off even a single shift. If you play not to get injured, you won't make it or you'll get injured.

Reactions: BBruins and hrdpuk

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't put too much stock in how guys like Lysell, Beecher, Lohrei, and Merkulov looked. It was game 1 of the Prospects Challenge. Those dudes already know they are going to get hard looks later on. No point in going all out and risking injury of some sort against a mediocre-at-best prospects team in mid-September given that their chance to make the Bs will come in October.

Don't produce in actual pre-season games and nobody gives two flying craps what you did in some prospects game. I see these prospects games as tune-ups for the upper-tier players. Also gives the less-ready younger kids at least some competence on the ice to better show what they have.
I watched a lot but not all - were there some guys not going all out?

It was difficult to make out who some of the players were yesterday....

Anybody recall how Farinacci played?
I picked him up in third but I saw him live at Harvard and he’s good - I wanted him in SIM from Lou last year or year before after watching him so he must have been good lol

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I watched a lot but not all - were there some guys not going all out?
None of them were coasting at all. They all were playing hard. Just seemed like a few of the big names weren't putting it into full gear in terms of taking chances and trying to be star of the game or prove anything. Doing what they needed to be doing to get their legs going and work on some things in a competitive environment. Expecting to see them ramp things up as the preseason progresses and the competition gets better than what they faced yesterday.

Reactions: DKH

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005

This is from Mark Divver's excellent article. He's an really good hockey writer. Been reading him for years.

'Mougenel on his message to prospects:

“You want people saying the right things about you. There’s limited viewings of players at times, especially with all the brass. If you can leave a really strong impression, especially going into camp, that’s really important. I stress to them that every time you get an opportunity to build your brand, it’s important that you play the right way. It might be something as small as hunting the puck on the backcheck. Maybe (Don Sweeney or Jim Montgomery) sees that and he takes a shine to you. Sometimes that (gets overlooked) when talk about goals and assists.”'

So if anyone thinks players can or should take shifts off in a prospects tournament, here's your answer.

You play every shift as if it's your last or it might be.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
What could be worse on opening day than, Jim Montgomery as head coach and John McLean as assistant coach? I am not expecting much from the Boston Bruins this coming season between the coaching and players. The only possible season savior is the Bruins' Goaltending of Ullmark and Swayman.

Go Bruins

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What could be worse on opening day than, Jim Montgomery as head coach and John McLean as assistant coach? I am not expecting much from the Boston Bruins this coming season between the coaching and players. The only possible season savior is the Bruins' Goaltending of Ullmark and Swayman.

Go Bruins
Guessing maybe you’re thinking of the wrong John McLean?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
This is from Mark Divver's excellent article. He's an really good hockey writer. Been reading him for years.

'Mougenel on his message to prospects:

“You want people saying the right things about you. There’s limited viewings of players at times, especially with all the brass. If you can leave a really strong impression, especially going into camp, that’s really important. I stress to them that every time you get an opportunity to build your brand, it’s important that you play the right way. It might be something as small as hunting the puck on the backcheck. Maybe (Don Sweeney or Jim Montgomery) sees that and he takes a shine to you. Sometimes that (gets overlooked) when talk about goals and assists.”'

So if anyone thinks players can or should take shifts off in a prospects tournament, here's your answer.

You play every shift as if it's your last or it might be.

I've been favorably impressed with Mougenel. I don't know what his potential is for the NHL, but he seems like a great mentor for the kids in Providence.

Reactions: DaBroons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad