News Article: Bruins' offense feels crunch of salary cap

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Glad he called out Rask. The early exit is as much to blame on him as anyone else. No matter how good your team is, you need a goalie who can steal games in a long playoff run. Rask didn't do that. He's paid like a guy who should.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Glad he called out Rask. The early exit is as much to blame on him as anyone else. No matter how good your team is, you need a goalie who can steal games in a long playoff run. Rask didn't do that. He's paid like a guy who should.

Yep, certainly was a part of the problem. He needs to shake those Habs ghosts.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Concerned about an offense that was third in the league in goals last year? what?

Also wtf is ESPN doing writing about hockey

When you use depth and scoring by committee, and you lose your top scorer on your top line and replace him by elevating someone internally, you will eventually feel that depth getting weakened. Aside from Iginla moving on, they got a high percentage of goals from their defense last year. I'm not so sure that's something you can expect them to repeat year over year.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
When you use depth and scoring by committee, and you lose your top scorer on your top line and replace him by elevating someone internally, you will eventually feel that depth getting weakened. Aside from Iginla moving on, they got a high percentage of goals from their defense last year. I'm not so sure that's something you can expect them to repeat year over year.

Agreed on the front of depth scoring, from the forwards. As for the defense, I'm not so sure. That, if anything seems to me will improve from last year, BECAUSE of the less scoring from the forwards. Hamilton will play a full 82 schedule (barring injury), and almost assuredly will be up from that 7 goal total. I don't think its out of the realm for Chara and Krug to repeat their numbers if they stay on the powerplay, which they should. I think a slight drop from Chara, and a slight uptick from Krug. And just by process of balance, you have to assume if Seids stays healthy, he's good for 4-8, which will make up for a drop from anyone else. Boychuk (assuming he stays) is good for 4-6 himself, right on par with last year. I just think with Eriksson on the top line, that line will continue their reliance on deflections and screened shots as they have in years past, cycling the pucks and eventually getting them back to the point for the shot. We will see how the third line functions, depending on its final look.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Concerned about an offense that was third in the league in goals last year? what?

Also wtf is ESPN doing writing about hockey

"Hey, Stevie, I need some help. I gotta write something on hockey....

Field hockey?

No, the ice kind. What the hell do I do?

I dunno. Why the hell they got you doing that?

Oh Buccigross is pissing and moaning about coverage again. Figures they give it to a lackey like me to act like we care. Now I gotta solve their problem?

What a minute, I got some old hockey cards stashed in my parent's basement. Gimme a sec....... here they are...... hey, why don't you call Brad Park and ask him about something. I recall he never say a microphone he'd turn down.

Who's he?

Some guy who played way back -- mostly in the 70's.

Was he good?

Yeah, he was wicked good.

Does he know anything about hockey today?

I dunno. Maybe. I know he'll have something to say..... whether it's about hockey or not i can't tell you.

OK, I'll call him. WTF...... it's only a hockey story. Not like anyone will read it........."

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Agreed on the front of depth scoring, from the forwards. As for the defense, I'm not so sure. That, if anything seems to me will improve from last year, BECAUSE of the less scoring from the forwards. Hamilton will play a full 82 schedule (barring injury), and almost assuredly will be up from that 7 goal total. I don't think its out of the realm for Chara and Krug to repeat their numbers if they stay on the powerplay, which they should. I think a slight drop from Chara, and a slight uptick from Krug. And just by process of balance, you have to assume if Seids stays healthy, he's good for 4-8, which will make up for a drop from anyone else. Boychuk (assuming he stays) is good for 4-6 himself, right on par with last year. I just think with Eriksson on the top line, that line will continue their reliance on deflections and screened shots as they have in years past, cycling the pucks and eventually getting them back to the point for the shot. We will see how the third line functions, depending on its final look.

or you could have the opposite.

with less of a scoring threat from the forwards, the D on the points could very well get pressured more and be less effective offensively.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I love that the old players like Orr, Espo, and Park all believe that the current NHL is not offensively wide open as it could/should be. I HATE dump and chase hockey I LOVE breakways that go end to end. Give me more wide open high scoring hockey..
:yo:

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

About the depth being weakened, this is right. Last year we had a 1st liner on the 3rd line. Won't be the same this year if Loui plays with Krejci+Lucic. The question is, how much of a drop will the team fall from 3rd best in the league? Will they stay top-10? 10-20? Bottom of the league?

Last year, if they had scored 40 less goals, that would still have been good for 15th in the league. And with the overall team defense and GAA that will likely be again at the top of the league, 15th would be good enough to win another division title with home ice for rounds 1 and 2.

As for the goals the D scored, you have to consider that 10 were scored by Chara playing a forward position on the PP...

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
We also won the Presidents Trophy...those two things plus a token gets you a ride on the subway.

And Vancouver won it the year the Bruins won the Cup. How did it end up for them, other than missing the playoffs and looking like s**t last season ?

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It could go either way.

Either there is a greater sense of urgency knowing a go-to goal scorer isn't there anymore and guys step it up to contribute. Or our goal scoring simply takes a big hit and we heavily rely on defense and goaltending to get the win.

It also depends on how well the rookies are able to adjust to the NHL and find success.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
well said, agreed.

Banshee

Apr 23, 2014
Concord, NH

So young players never improve? Players who had a poor previous season never bounce back? Are you saying that nobody will ever be as good as those who came before them?

It's not a black/white or linear situation here. If Looch hits 30 (+6), Smith nets 25 (+5), Krejci goes for 25 (+6) and Eriksson hits 20 (+10) then you've almost replaced Iginla without whatever Pastrnak/Spooner/Koko/Caron (joke) chip in.

That may not ALL happen at the same time next year, but none of it is outrageous or impossible by any stretch.

member 96824

So young players never improve? Players who had a poor previous season never bounce back? Are you saying that nobody will ever be as good as those who came before them?

It's not a black/white or linear situation here. If Looch hits 30 (+6), Smith nets 25 (+5), Krejci goes for 25 (+6) and Eriksson hits 20 (+10) then you've almost replaced Iginla without whatever Pastrnak/Spooner/Koko/Caron (joke) chip in.

That may not ALL happen at the same time next year, but none of it is outrageous or impossible by any stretch.

Ugh. Not going to lie, I remember the EXACT same conversation going into 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad