Post-Game Talk: Bruins Lay an Egg: Rangers 7 Bruins 4

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Really? Hadn’t heard that. No one is talking about grit or snarl or sandpaper or answering hits or getting an enforcer or anything like that at all around here lately.
Do you agree or disagree with some of the assessments made by people in here in regards to the team ultimately playing soft, and getting pushed around. I also don't think anyone here was crying for Ryan Reaves.

I'm sure your response won't be condescending or snarky at all.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Do you agree or disagree with some of the assessments made by people in here in regards to the team ultimately playing soft, and getting pushed around. I also don't think anyone here was crying for Ryan Reaves.

I'm sure your response won't be condescending or snarky at all.
I think a certain crew of people - which is quite large here - who see physical play as the only way to improve the team and comically demand retribution for any hit by the other team are making this place very tiresome to visit, especially for a team that’s second in the league. And that’s leaving aside that this league doesn’t make any impactful trades until 3 weeks before the deadline.

Reactions: lopey

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think a certain crew of people - which is quite large here - who see physical play as the only way to improve the team and comically demand retribution for any hit by the other team are making this place very tiresome to visit, especially for a team that’s second in the league. And that’s leaving aside that this league doesn’t make any impactful trades until 3 weeks before the deadline.
You didn't answer my questions, you pawned it off.

I'll try another. Do you think there has been lack of push back from the Bruins when it comes to players getting targeted? McAvoy, Poitras etc.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Well of course you are okay with a fine when you know full well you should have been suspended, you doofus.

It was just an accident who doesn’t swing their stick at someone’s head when trying to get it away from another player,most of us would pull it away,but hey.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
people were just the other day wanting to claim Zach MacEwen off waivers (effectively forcing them to waive someone already on the team like a Lauko, Heinen or Steen). MacEwen is only marginally better than Reaves so I don't think it's unfair to use Ryan Reaves as an example of the type of player people are calling for here.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
people were just the other day wanting to claim Zach MacEwen off waivers (effectively forcing them to waive someone already on the team like a Lauko, Heinen or Steen). MacEwen is only marginally better than Reaves so I don't think it's unfair to use Ryan Reaves as an example of the type of player people are calling for here.
I think they could use a Trenin type player, maybe even an Olivier type as a 13th forward.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Or Kris Middleton on the second pair…

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think they could use a Trenin type player, maybe even an Olivier type as a 13th forward.
I'd take Trenin but Nashville has no reason to trade him in November when they're on the wild card bubble. Also he played like ~19 mins for them in each of their last 2 games. Safe to assume he's not available until the deadline and even then only if they're sellers.

But this just illustrates why people fall back on the Reaves example. Some of us are more than happy to see the team get "tougher" but not at the expense of adding bad hockey players. You might think that goes without saying, but the problem is that good, tough players just generally aren't available right now so you're left with junk like MacEwen. A guy like Trenin just isn't realistic right now.

also fwiw, just my own personal feeling but I feel burned after the Hathaway trade last year. He felt like a perfect solution to this "problem" for them. I was really expecting him to come in and be a "hammer" for them while providing strong bottom 6 2-way play since he was an actual good hockey player. But he came in and had virtually zero physical impact and was a non-factor against the Panthers. So forgive me (and maybe others) if I'm not eager to go out chasing fringe players with snarl when it has turned out to be a waste of assets in the past. I'm not certain it's a personnel issue. The call is coming from inside the house.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
I know you're talking about forwards right now but Zadorov requested a trade out a Calgary and he is exactly what they need both on the backend and in the physicality department. Big as a house, hits like a goddamn freight train, willing to fight (though not great at it) and just overall doesn't take any shit.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I know you're talking about forwards right now but Zadorov requested a trade out a Calgary and he is exactly what they need both on the backend and in the physicality department. Big as a house, hits like a goddamn freight train, willing to fight (though not great at it) and just overall doesn't take any shit.
Exactly, would love to see him here, but apparently he sucks to a select few who determine the wants and needs from a spreadsheet.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Exactly, would love to see him here, but apparently he sucks to a select few who determine the wants and needs from a spreadsheet.
Why is he going on his fifth team in less than 10 years if he’s this perfect physical defenseman? Are you willing to pay the freight - and subtract from the team - in order to acquire him and then give him term at $5M? Because that’s the assessment one needs to make.

Reactions: lopey

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Why is he going on his fifth team in less than 10 years if he’s this perfect physical defenseman? Are you willing to pay the freight - and subtract from the team - in order to acquire him and then give him term at $5M? Because that’s the assessment one needs to make.
I've said several times I'd love to have him here but the cost would likely be too much.

Any suggestions of your own? Are the Bruins good the way they are?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I've said several times I'd love to have him here but the cost would likely be too much.
And despite the stupid and lame spreadsheet comments that’s what I’ve said too. He’s not worth $5M and he’s not worth the cost to acquire - even though I’d much rather have him than potato hands.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Didn't you tell me he sucked?
He’s a third pair defenseman who’s very sheltered and commits as many dumb penalties as anyone in the league. People were talking about him playing top 4. He doesn’t even play top 4 PK for Calgary.

Forbort sucks too but I’d rather have Zadorov in a vacuum. But not by much.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
He’s a third pair defenseman who’s very sheltered and commits as many dumb penalties as anyone in the league. People were talking about him playing top 4. He doesn’t even play top 4 PK for Calgary.

Forbort sucks too but I’d rather have Zadorov in a vacuum. But not by much.
What do you think would be realistic targets for the Bruins before the deadline? Do you feel they're good the way they are?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What do you think would be realistic targets for the Bruins before the deadline? Do you feel they're good the way they are?
I have no idea yet. Again, it’s extremely rare for any trades to happen until about 3 weeks before the deadline. Sucks but that’s what this league is now.

I’m more concerned about the defense - if Grizz can’t back to form it could be trouble. Forbort-Shatty/Mitchell is a disaster starting to happen. I don’t want to trade for LD help for the fourth straight year but it may need to happen. I don’t want to see huge assets out - no way I trade 2025 first - so it would be depth stuff. Again, things that won’t happen until at the deadline.

Next summer is when the real dealing can be done. I’ve looked at this as a bridge year all along and I don’t see the need to try to make huge trades on the fly barring something catastrophic And I’m not making panic trades now because Poitras got crosschecked.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I have no idea yet. Again, it’s extremely rare for any trades to happen until about 3 weeks before the deadline. Sucks but that’s what this league is now.

I’m more concerned about the defense - if Grizz can’t back to form it could be trouble. Forbort-Shatty/Mitchell is a disaster starting to happen. I don’t want to trade for LD help for the fourth straight year but it may need to happen. I don’t want to see huge assets out - no way I trade 2025 first - so it would be depth stuff. Again, things that won’t happen until at the deadline.

Next summer is when the real dealing can be done. I’ve looked at this as a bridge year all along and I don’t see the need to try to make huge trades on the fly barring something catastrophic And I’m not making panic trades now because Poitras got crosschecked.

If the Bruins keep this pace up all the way to the deadline idk how Sweeney just sits on his hands even though I think he should. Would he cave to the pressure of the media/fanbase saying he should go "all in" if the Bruins are at the top of the conference again?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You didn't really, you side stepped it. Do you think that there's been lack of push back by the Bruins?

Kris Middleton isn't a real person.

I get these guys confused all the time, just like Jason Sudeikas and Ed Helms.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I get these guys confused all the time, just like Jason Sudeikas and Ed Helms.
Ok, fine, he's a real person!

Also, i actually agree with your last part. I mix them up often as well... I'll also add Rob Riggle to that mix.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
My issue with statements like this is that I see it as a false narrative. Besides the last two games the team is well balanced, playing great and exceeding expectations. Goalies are great, defence has been very good, rookies have surprised, contributions from up and down the line up etc. One glaring hole to a lot of us on here is physicality: tenacious hitting and response and an occasional fight when needed. Lucic was supposed to provide this and will not be now, again a glaring hole, maybe not as much in the regular season but 100% needed in the playoffs.

Yes, trades don't usually happen this time of year, yes they are second in the league and yes, it is ok to discuss what a large portion of us believe is missing... Toughness. Jaffe and Razor are talking about it, journalists are talking about it but yet it's hyperbolic for some of us lifelong Bruins fans to mention it as it means everyone wants Reaves? Makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad