GDT: Bruins - July 1st - Free Agent Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We have roughly 48 hours to go until July 1st.

Please - do not copy and paste a tweet - either embed the tweet or provide the URL as it will make the thread easier to read and easier for the Mods.

As most of you know fake Twitter accounts show up on high traffic days in hockey so we have to double check everything. Thanks in advance and let's hope the Bruins have a very good day.

For Twitter

It would make the Mods job easier if you can take just a couple of extra seconds and embed a tweet instead of just a copy and paste. It makes it easier for someone to read and we know it is a legit Tweet.

Enter tweet ID between tags. ID can be obtained by clicking on time link in a tweet. The ID is the number at the end of the link.

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/639951196942434304

So
***note: if adding by any of the quick menus that use ajax (quick reply, quick edit) the embedded code will be invisible to you until you fully load the page.

The same code can be used to embed Vines video :)

Thanks in advance for your cooperation. Please feel free to PM any MOD for help.

Last edited:

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
They have been acting weird anyways since keeping Eriksson, wasting picks on Liles who was not much better then Morrow/Chiller, Stemp who was not an improvement on Connolly, then signing Kevan M. If they were really serious then Absloutely they would have made the smart choice absolutely at the end of the year. Trouba may prove better then picking 14th for the next 4 years anyways, may as well make a big splash. They do need someone elite and 14th is never going get you that. They need to be a playoff team this year to save face for management and continue the groundhog days for us.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
No link, just lil ole me

Eklund said it, Murphy said it, Haggs said it and now

I'm adding to it.

Buy out and offer sheet are being seriously considered.

Enjoy

Is this because they feel they are going to strike out in free agency? Why the sudden shift?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yeah this does feel like a crappy move. Couldn't swing a deal so he's got to get dirty.

Now to be honest, I have no problem with the idea of an offer sheet. It's legal, so do it. But have they really exhausted all better options?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Yeah this does feel like a crappy move. Couldn't swing a deal so he's got to get dirty.

Now to be honest, I have no problem with the idea of an offer sheet. It's legal, so do it. But have they really exhausted all better options?

maybe it is one of multiple moves. a buyout of sides, a move of hayes and McQ and they can technically fit Stamkos at 11 and a defenceman at 7. Granted - it's all likely fantasy - but possible.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Is this because they feel they are going to strike out in free agency? Why the sudden shift?

That was my thought too, I obviously don't know anything but I can speculate that the price on Shatty is simply too high to obtain or keep him and DS must think the money and compensation to pull off an offer sheet is worth it.

Will certainly be interesting if nothing else. The back end needs help and the prospect pool is in okay shape so maybe the 1sts aren't such a huge loss. Or maybe it's a ploy to force a trade or something.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
They have been acting weird anyways since keeping Eriksson, wasting picks on Liles who was not much better then Morrow/Chiller, Stemp who was not an improvement on Connolly, then signing Kevan M. If they were really serious then Absloutely they would have made the smart choice absolutely at the end of the year. Trouba may prove better then picking 14th for the next 4 years anyways, may as well make a big splash. They do need someone elite and 14th is never going get you that. They need to be a playoff team this year to save face for management and continue the groundhog days for us.

No way I do that for trouba? Way too risky IMO

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Erik Karlsson and MANY more would probably disagree.

However, your chances of getting a #1 D after the top 10 are pretty slim.

I highly doubt the Bruins offer sheet Trouba so I'm not really worried about.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I'll go on the record as saying I am fully supportive of signing Trouba to an offer sheet, inclusive of the 4 1st compensation package.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Looking back on it I'm afraid you're right. No way this organization should be in the position they're in considering we won a cup with a relatively young team and had two top draft choices in the works.

True.

#2 pick in 10 (Seguin)
Cup in 11
#9 pick in 11 (Hamilton)
Cup Final in 13
Summer of 13: Seguin traded
13-14: Best team in NHL totally dominating every statistical categories then big egg against the lowly Habs in round 2
14-15: DNQ then Lucic and Hamilton traded
15-16: DNQ and letting Loui go for nothing as well as wasting picks on crap (Liles-Stempniak-Rinaldo)

Will take some time before the 15+16 drafts pickscontribute to the team. The futur may well be very good or not. In the mean time, Bruins are now a middle of the pack team because of Rask-Bergy-Krejci-Marchand-Chara and Clode. One of them goes down and bottom 10 ain't out of the question. Let's see what Sweeney does to help the core with the Cap space...

What could have been... Perenial Cup contenders to this...

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Trouba *Might* turn into a #1 Dman, but he sure as heck isn't one right now. Or a #2. He is a 2nd pairing Dman right now with the very real potential to be a #1.

But, if you are willing to go 4 #1s for him (a former #9 overall) then why not add to the 14 to get to #8 this year and get the same guy? Or last year to get Werenski?

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
No link, just lil ole me

Eklund said it, Murphy said it, Haggs said it and now

I'm adding to it.

Buy out and offer sheet are being seriously considered.

Enjoy

With the fact that Boston has stockpiled a huge amount of prospects recently, many of them 1st rounders, giving up 4 future 1st round picks to sign a great young defenceman to a long term contract is not a bad play.

The Bruins could offer $47M over 7 years, which would still be costly to WPG, would give them 4 1st round picks as compensation, and the AAV for the contract would be a hair over $6.71M per season. Makes a lot of sense why this is being considered. I'm also curious to see if this opens up negotiations where WPG may try to get more immediate help in a package.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Trouba *Might* turn into a #1 Dman, but he sure as heck isn't one right now. Or a #2. He is a 2nd pairing Dman right now with the very real potential to be a #1.

But, if you are willing to go 4 #1s for him (a former #9 overall) then why not add to the 14 to get to #8 this year and get the same guy? Or last year to get Werenski?

I'm guessing because Trouba is better than either of those options at the moment. If you're talking about Sergachev at #8 had Boston traded up to it, he is a lefty - looks like they are targeting a righty by all accounts. Ditto with Werenski.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Well, probably because Trouba has already proven that he can play in the NHL, whereas Werenski and the #8 this year (Sergachev?) have not?

Just a guess :D

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'll also go on record saying 4 1sts for Trouba is worth it for this club. He's instantly the Bruins best young dman and it's best shot at grooming a number 1 dman at a young age ( with McAvoy second ). Right now, number 1 defensemen are the hottest asset in the league and with a deep prospect pool of B to B+ level players, going all in on a kid that has the potential to be an A level star in this league is worth it. In about 4 years time, we might be looking at this if everything pans out in their developments:

Lindgren -- Trouba

Gryz -- McAvoy

O'Gara -- Carlo

I know some people say that Sweeney is operating with no plan, but to me the plan is pretty clear: the Bruins are setting up their blueline to be the cornerstone of this franchise.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Erik Karlsson and MANY more would probably disagree.

However, your chances of getting a #1 D after the top 10 are pretty slim.

I highly doubt the Bruins offer sheet Trouba so I'm not really worried about.

This is Don Sweeney we are talking about

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'll also go on record saying 4 1sts for Trouba is worth it for this club. He's instantly the Bruins best young dman and it's best shot at grooming a number 1 dman at a young age ( with McAvoy second ). Right now, number 1 defensemen are the hottest asset in the league and with a deep prospect pool of B to B+ level players, going all in on a kid that has the potential to be an A level star in this league is worth it. In about 4 years time, we might be looking at this if everything pans out in their developments:

Lindgren -- Trouba

Gryz -- McAvoy

O'Gara -- Carlo

I know some people say that Sweeney is operating with no plan, but to me the plan is pretty clear: the Bruins are setting up their blueline to be the cornerstone of this franchise.

Krug - Trouba

And pick the best 4 from

Morrow
C.Miller
Arnesson
Grzelcyk
O'Gara
Zboril
Lauzon
Carlo
MvAvoy
Lindgren

Problem is forgo the FOUR 1sts, you should have one of the better D-groups in the league long-term.

But in 4-5 years you might also have a gaping crater up the middle of the ice when Bergeron and/or Krejci are done.

You need both to win.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The rumoured Boston Bruins offer sheet to Jacob Trouba may indirectly help the Edmonton Oilers

Such an offer wouldn’t quite be unprecedented, but it would be close. Shea Weber signed a richer offer sheet with the Philadelphia Flyers in 2012 and Thomas Vanek did with the Oilers in 2007, but in both cases the offers were matched. Those are only comparables of the salary cap era.

However, as Thomas Drance of Jets Nation writes, even the threat of such an offer sheet is worrisome for Winnipeg. Such a deal could be structured in a way where the Jets would be paying massive bonuses in the first few years at a time when the Canadian dollar is at a low ebb. In Drance’s nightmare scenario, Winnipeg could end up facing something like $25 million in payments over the next 12 months if the deal was constructed for maximum damage (which it almost certainly would be).

The offer sheet could come as early as July 1, and once it comes the team in question has only two choices: match the deal, or take the draft picks. In this case, the Jets would not have the right to trade Trouba prior to matching, and would not be able to trade him for a full calendar year after matching.

At this point, a cynic might make two observations. The first is that having this story out there could be construed as being in Boston’s best interests. Haggerty himself notes that Boston has been unable to pull the trigger on a trade; having the threat of a potential offer sheet out there is not a bad way to prod things along. The second is that offer sheets are relatively rare.

I’d also note that it’s worth asking how ugly this threat really is. Winnipeg could decline to match such an offer-sheet and in exchange pocket four first-round picks from a team that is only in this particular position because it foolishly dealt its own young right-shot defender Dougie Hamilton for pennies on the dollar a year ago. From a Jets perspective, clearing away some money and cashing in on some picks isn’t entirely unattractive, especially when the team can make the case that its hand was forced.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Talked to a friend who works for True North in Winnipeg and I can tell you the Jets are very fearful this rumor is legit and they are looking at options before they get trapped.

:popcorn:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Krug - Trouba

And pick the best 4 from

Morrow
C.Miller
Arnesson
Grzelcyk
O'Gara
Zboril
Lauzon
Carlo
MvAvoy
Lindgren

Problem is forgo the FOUR 1sts, you should have one of the better D-groups in the league long-term.

But in 4-5 years you might also have a gaping crater up the middle of the ice when Bergeron and/or Krejci are done.

You need both to win.

They'll still have other picks to restock the center position, which is what I think they'll do in the next draft. The 2nd rounds and on are where the Bruins traditionally do their best work in drafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad