Rumor: Bruins GM: No progress on Krug Talks

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think it's money, He's rumored to want between $7.5M to $8.0M per season for 6 or 7 years. Doubt he gets that much now with the flat cap and all.
Makes sense. I guess at 8M the question is whether or not Boston prefer OEL

If I were him, it would be term probably: push for 8 years at 6.5 or 7

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
When will people stop asking this it's becoming a meme.

Sorry I haven't ventured around these boards or the OEL threads too often so I actually haven't seen this asked. Is there a good answer to the question?

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I've seen this thought a couple of time so I figured I'd give my opinion on the situation:

Krug and OEL aren't really comparable players, Krug is looking for in excess of 7.5M and he can never be put on your teams top pair or he'll get caved in. He's great at PP production and zipping the puck around, but he doesn't provide any real ES scoring boost, it's nearly all tied to the powerplay or 3 on 3. OEL has been on the top pair in Arizona for 10 years now, he could slot in next to McAvoy seamlessly. I wouldn't want Krug at a penny over 7M, even the 6.5M/6 offer would have been tough to stomach if he accepted it from my view, and I have mans jersey in my closet.

Much of OEL's decline has been attitributed to the death of his mother, receiving the C in Arizona, Tochhett's coaching decisions and some of his own natural decline. I personally believe he'd be reinvigorated on a team that he doesn't have to be a leader, just go out and play sound hockey every night. His left pass option will be a 100+ point winger in Marchand, and his right pass option will be t he reigning co-rocket winner, it'd be tough for a player of his skill to not see a sharp increase in stats given the minutes he will be playing in Boston.

Yes. I'll try to find it. @phone atm.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why trade assets for OEL and his contract rather than just re-signing Krug? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Same. I don't know why the Bs would balk at paying Krug only to turn around and trade for OEL's $8.25M AAV contract. The only way that makes sense is if Krug's more or less made up his mind to leave Boston (e.g., maybe he wants to play closer to home).

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Same. I don't know why the Bs would balk at paying Krug only to turn around and trade for OEL's $8.25M AAV contract. The only way that makes sense is if Krug's more or less made up his mind to leave Boston (e.g., maybe he wants to play closer to home).
Because the Bruins need size particulary on the left side. Krug is also immensely talented, but only at one end of the ice. The Bruins almost exclusively start him for offense zone faceoffs and can be a liabilty in his own zone. OEL is a more rounded player and fit better going forward

Reactions: bme44

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
^^ And to give Krug some of the lowest TOI against elite competition and all that avoiding of defensive zone starts, it means the Bruins #1 pairing gets hammered. When that pairing is led by Chara, maybe that makes sense. When it’s led by a two way D like McAvoy WHO STILL MANAGED TO OUT SCORE KRUG BY ALMOST 50% AT 5 ON 5 does it still make sense to stab one of your pairings in the back?

Reactions: Morrison

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Why trade assets for OEL and his contract rather than just re-signing Krug? Doesn't really make sense to me.
First, OEL is the better all round player.

Secondly and the part that no one really gets is the salary cap. OEL will cost assets yes, but the Bruins would also be able to move some salary Arizona's way thereby lessening the impact OEL's cap hit. Meanwhile, signing Krug would just cost pure cap space.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
First, OEL is the better all round player.

Secondly and the part that no one really gets is the salary cap. OEL will cost assets yes, but the Bruins would also be able to move some salary Arizona's way thereby lessening the impact OEL's cap hit. Meanwhile, signing Krug would just cost pure cap space.

Bruins can move salary independent of OEL, not sure what that has to do with anything... I agree OEL is better all around, but I think he's a different skillset and one that the Bruins just don't really need as much with McAvoy and Carlo already there. He's not going to be as effective as Krug on the PP, though he'll be better on D 5on5 for sure. And I would bet that Krug's deal winds up being quite a bit less than OEL's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad