Bruins GM Chiarelli:
 All’s well entering
 Olympic break

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Yes guys like McQuaid, Campbell, Kelly and Thornton would be missed quite a bit.

You not only get rid of your depth at Center but you get rid of experience and toughness at the blueline and a hell of a lot of heart and leadership.

The Bruins were never the same when Campbell went down in the ECF's last year.

Thank god you're not the GM because getting rid of those guys is a guaranteed first round exit.

There's nothing guaranteed about it, especially without knowing which of those players would be gone, and who they'd be replaced with.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I wonder if Chia and company allowed Chara to leave for the Olympics early to see how the team would faired with him out of the lineup.

See if certain players were able to handle the big minutes/key situations.

I feel like Hamilton is a legit top 3 dman. Kid is so much smarter on the ice and solid defensively.

member 96824

I wonder if Chia and company allowed Chara to leave for the Olympics early to see how the team would faired with him out of the lineup.

See if certain players were able to handle the big minutes/key situations.

I feel like Hamilton is a legit top 3 dman. Kid is so much smarter on the ice and solid defensively.

I would guess that didn't have anything to do with their decision, but certainly was a positive that came out of it, you know what I mean?

I don't think they were ever going to say "No, you can't go represent your country at the opening ceremonies"

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
Believe everything Chiarelli says publicly? I'd bet that McQuaid or Bartkowski could be had,one not both.

Seems to me he said he3 doesn't want to trade anyone off the roster, not that he won't. Considering the cap limitations, he's likely looking for a rental anyway, so a prospect + 1st will get most of those deals done. Might have to add a sweetener, but I'm not sure you trade either one of those two for a rental. A top 4 guy with a good cap hit that you can keep going forward? Sure, I can see them moving those guys out.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I would guess that didn't have anything to do with their decision, but certainly was a positive that came out of it, you know what I mean?

I don't think they were ever going to say "No, you can't go represent your country at the opening ceremonies"

No I don't believe so either...but I believe they looked at the positive side as well and I thought they handled it well.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Seems to me he said he3 doesn't want to trade anyone off the roster, not that he won't. Considering the cap limitations, he's likely looking for a rental anyway, so a prospect + 1st will get most of those deals done. Might have to add a sweetener, but I'm not sure you trade either one of those two for a rental. A top 4 guy with a good cap hit that you can keep going forward? Sure, I can see them moving those guys out.

we shall see. I think we can be guaranteed of one thing, whomever, if anyone is aquired, it will be a playoff tested veteran, might not be a headline grabbing kind of guy but it`ll be someone with playoff games on his resume

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Say goodnight to 1st rounders or prospects (anyone but Spooner/Subban). Pittsburgh style. I don't care I need to see another top 3 dman going into the playoffs.

We know where our window is at, gotta go for it

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Say goodnight to 1st rounders or prospects (anyone but Spooner/Subban). Pittsburgh style. I don't care I need to see another top 3 dman going into the playoffs.

I`m seeing a young group of D men, many forwards who have still loads of great hockey ahead of them and see a window to compete set up pretty well for the long term, not sure if Chia is the kind of player who`d sacrifice potentially large pieces of the future for a rental with no guarantee`s

Z isn`t going to be here forever clearly, but this team will continue to find a way to stay competitive for the Cup if Chia is calling the shots

OutspokenMinority*

the defensive depth is potentially regular season depth, though (offensive minded, smallish defensemen). you win playoff series and Stanley Cups by wearing the other teams down with physical play. Miller has been a nice surprise both in terms of overall ability and as far as toughness, so he's kind of the key. if he can get used to simply staying on the inside when an opponent is rushing the puck up-ice (aka, the Seidenberg principle), he may be a reasonable replacement who, combined with the extra offense from the kids, might be enough. but if Miller continues to get beat to the inside on the rush, like he did a few games ago, he will be a weak link that Claude will have to hide in close games and that would make a Cup virtually impossible.

lotta pressure for a 26 year old rookie D-man.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Yes lets go Pittsburgh style, trade away a bunch of prospects picks for guys who are the big names, but really don't fit our system, and add no value to our team.

Shero did a great job assembling organizational depth and sold a lot of it last season, and then got absolutely nothing out of Iginla and Morrow

Chia should be on the lookout for a deal that makes this team better, or else simply walk away. There are a lot of veteran defenseman available. There are few who would improve this team.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
this should be mandatory reading for everyone if they want to post on this board. I really hope Chia's own words will lay to rest some of these ridiculous trade proposals such as going after Callahan, etc.

If we get anyone it will be on D, but it doesn't sound like he's going to swing for the fences at the deadline this year.

You're living in false hope Russell.

GM Chiarelli is pretty straight about his intentions but it rarely stops some here from ignoring what he has to say. Too attached to their own opinions and the need to spout off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad