Bruins GM Chiarelli:
 All’s well entering
 Olympic break

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
The Boston Herald has a good article with Chiarelli commenting on the Bruins season to date.

He has some food for thought for the Hot Stove League as we critique the Bruins after each game.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...m_chiarelli_all_s_well_entering_olympic_break

“As always, our structure has been good,†Chiarelli said. “I think we have improved our ability to score. We still struggle at times to finish, but that’s something that we have been focusing on. I think our depth has been outstanding, through the forwards that we brought up and now you see the (defensemen) in there. Generally, I think the four lines have been performing — you can never have four lines at once performing at their top level — but I have been happy with their level of performance."

“Even our veteran players are still young. You talk about the (center David) Krejcis and (winger Milan) Lucics and (defenseman Johnny) Boychuks, those guys are still young. So I think (it’s true), we are more consistent. It would be nice to be even more consistent but I like the way that we are going.â€

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That just isn't true.

They need to get a defensemen with some size and strength that they trust to put on the ice defending a one goal lead in the last minute. They need that player to win the Cup.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
That just isn't true.

They need to get a defensemen with some size and strength that they trust to put on the ice defending a one goal lead in the last minute. They need that player to win the Cup.

From the article..

The general manager’s remarks could be distilled down to a few bullet points:

• Chiarelli is very pleased with the B’s play thus far — notably, the depth of the roster and the overall improved consistency and maturity of the team.

He still hopes to add a veteran defenseman who is strong in his own end before the March 5 trade deadline, but he does not want it to cost him a player off the varsity roster.

• He expects making such a deal to be difficult, given a tight trade market.

The title is a bit misleading.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
If getting a veteran defenseman and it cost a first rounder i would have no issue with that. Still think we can use another scorer but not a major issue .

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
He seems to really stress the maturation aspect of the young guys. Sounds as if he likes their progression and is not too worried about mistakes they are making.

“But I always feel that we need eight good NHL defenders going in to the playoffs. While I’m certainly not going to replace Seidenberg . . . you’d like to think that there is a player with a little bit of Seids’ defending that we could find and help us. But this year’s been a story about our depth and I’ve been happy with it.â€

Chia gets it. That may be the one potential chink in our armor, and could play a role in a late round in the playoffs. Early rounds I'm not too concerned with. As he states earlier, we have a solid team and he can live with the team even if he cannot find a semi-replacement for Seids. I'm relieved to hear that he is not going to trade someone from the current roster. I very much like our chances in a 7-game series against all but a few teams with who we have now. Youth tends to show its face against elite teams, though, thus Chia's desire to get a veteran D-man. We are lucky to have the management we have in Boston. They are smart hockey guys.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I really don't get the need for a depth defenseman. I think we have more depth on defense than up front. Now if he is talking bringing in a top 3 defenseman by all means we could use that. This is the best depth we had on defense in years. No offense but cup winning year we had hnidy playing in the playoffs for a couple games . Hnidy at that stage and fitness of he career couldn't come close to competing with any guy we are using right now.

Bruins 54

Nov 20, 2010
I still think we are bit slow .... very dependent on Rask standing on his head to win a series come playoff time.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
That just isn't true.

Someone like Kevan Miller? ;)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this should be mandatory reading for everyone if they want to post on this board. I really hope Chia's own words will lay to rest some of these ridiculous trade proposals such as going after Callahan, etc.

If we get anyone it will be on D, but it doesn't sound like he's going to swing for the fences at the deadline this year.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
He seems to really stress the maturation aspect of the young guys. Sounds as if he likes their progression and is not too worried about mistakes they are making.

Chia gets it. That may be the one potential chink in our armor, and could play a role in a late round in the playoffs. Early rounds I'm not too concerned with. As he states earlier, we have a solid team and he can live with the team even if he cannot find a semi-replacement for Seids. I'm relieved to hear that he is not going to trade someone from the current roster. I very much like our chances in a 7-game series against all but a few teams with who we have now. Youth tends to show its face against elite teams, though, thus Chia's desire to get a veteran D-man. We are lucky to have the management we have in Boston. They are smart hockey guys.

Yes.I do not want to see anyone from the current roster moved.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
this should be mandatory reading for everyone if they want to post on this board. I really hope Chia's own words will lay to rest some of these ridiculous trade proposals such as going after Callahan, etc.

If we get anyone it will be on D, but it doesn't sound like he's going to swing for the fences at the deadline this year.

Believe everything Chiarelli says publicly? I'd bet that McQuaid or Bartkowski could be had,one not both.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Chia is posturing himself for a deal. He does not want GM's to think he is desperate for a defenseman. This team does not win the Cup with it's present roster.

They need a top 2-3 defenseman and they need someone for the third line.

This present roster has players available. Caron, McQuaid, Campbell, Kelly or Thornton would not be missed.

The Bruins have prospects that I would like Chia to cash in for some draft picks.

Chia's mistake with the Seguin deal was not bringing back a first round draft pick.

Providence does not alot in the cupboard except for Spooner.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Chia is posturing himself for a deal. He does not want GM's to think he is desperate for a defenseman.

You don't actually think that the other GMs don't know that the Bs second top D is out for the season, leaving the Bruins with a big hole that needs to be filled, do you?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Chia is posturing himself for a deal. He does not want GM's to think he is desperate for a defenseman. This team does not win the Cup with it's present roster.

They need a top 2-3 defenseman and they need someone for the third line.

This present roster has players available. Caron, McQuaid, Campbell, Kelly or Thornton would not be missed.

The Bruins have prospects that I would like Chia to cash in for some draft picks.

Chia's mistake with the Seguin deal was not bringing back a first round draft pick.

Providence does not alot in the cupboard except for Spooner.

Yes guys like McQuaid, Campbell, Kelly and Thornton would be missed quite a bit.

You not only get rid of your depth at Center but you get rid of experience and toughness at the blueline and a hell of a lot of heart and leadership.

The Bruins were never the same when Campbell went down in the ECF's last year.

Thank god you're not the GM because getting rid of those guys is a guaranteed first round exit.

Rebel Bruin

Jan 7, 2014
Dublin
Yes guys like McQuaid, Campbell, Kelly and Thornton would be missed quite a bit.

You not only get rid of your depth at Center but you get rid of experience and toughness at the blueline and a hell of a lot of heart and leadership.

The Bruins were never the same when Campbell went down in the ECF's last year.

Thank god you're not the GM because getting rid of those guys is a guaranteed first round exit.

QFT

Campbell is a very under rated player, even by our own fans it seems!

The fact that he and Paille are on our 4th line sums up the Bruins in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad