Bruins FINALLY Retiring Middleton's #16

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
A well over due honor, but the Bruins have announced (finally) that they are retiring Rick Middleton's #16

- 448-540-988 in 1005 games
- 5 straight 40 goal seasons
- Selke caliber winger
- and a playoff performer with 100 in 114...including a legendary 33 in 17
- still holds the record for most points and assists in a series with 19pts 14ast against Buffalo
- was a masterful puck handler and more than earned the nickname of Nifty

Here's to hoping this finally gets him in the Hall

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That's nice. Anyone know why it would take thirty years...?

probably the same reason he isnt in the Hall already too.

he was one of the faces of the players class action lawsuit against the league over Eagleson.

Old man Jacobs being one of the most powerful owners meant Middleton was burning some bridges. Especially since he committed the highest of treasons against Jacobs and made him spend money.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He was never better than 10th in points, never top ten in assists or top six in points.

He was never a Selke finalist.

He was never the leader in playoff points, goals or assists and never won the cup.

I could name a dozen more significant careers worth honoring. So could you.

Note: It's funny how the Bruins don't honor its all-time great goalies like Tiny Thompson, Frank Brimsek and Gerry Cheevers. If they ain't household names to Bruins fans, that fact proves the point: they ought to be. They are all inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame but unworthy of jersey recognition by the francise. Mr. Zero should be a citywide hero in Boston with a friggin' statue!

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Not sure about being a HOF, but that was a huge deal when he came over from NYR. Always felt he was under appreciated.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’d say one reason it took so long was that he never won the Stanley Cup in Boston. It wasn’t until Ray Bourque had his 77 retired that the Bruins retired the number of a player that never won a championship in Boston. Terry O’Reilly and Cam Neely followed.

Middleton was slightly before my time. I got into hockey during his final season, so I can’t really attest to his worthiness of number retirement.

Also, I agree with vanislander. That a goalie isn’t up there is a travesty. Thompson, Brimsek, and Cheevers are all deserving.

Last edited:

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I don't want to take away anything from Rick's accomplishments as a player, but I wonder if maybe the number could be honoured in recognition of such accomplishments as opposed to retiring it.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Some players who have worn #16 in Boston since RM are …
Peter Douris, Andy Hilbert, Randy Robitallie, Cam Stewart, Jozef Stumpel, Marco Strum

Legends that wore #16 before him … Leo Labine, Murry Oliver, Derek Sanderson

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He was never better than 10th in points, never top ten in assists or top six in points.

He was never the leader in playoff points, goals or assists and never won the cup.

Note: It's funny how the Bruins don't honor its all-time great goalies like Tiny Thompson, Frank Brimsek and Gerry Cheevers. If they ain't household names to Bruins fans, that fact proves the point: they ought to be. They are all inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame but unworthy of jersey recognition by the francise. Mr. Zero should be a citywide hero in Boston with a friggin' statue!

That's pathetic. They should all be retired.

I like how the Flyers organization does it personally. Once a player that spent a vast majority of their careers with the team is inducted into the HHOF, they retire their number shortly thereafter (Clarke, Parent, Barber, Howe, Lindros).

The only # they have retired for other reasons is Barry Ashbee's #4, whose career ended in the Playoffs in 74 after taking a puck to the eye. He then passed away from Leukemia in 77 and they felt it was appropriate way to honor him.

Reactions: double5son10

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

They haven't retired Brimsek's? I was sure they did.They should retire it but I'm not holding my breathe.

Same for Bill Cowley.

Jack Crawford, Fern Flaman other possibilities.

Certainly we can expect Bergeron and Chara to have their jersey retired.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

Still NHL career leader in "Never".

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I was also surprised to learn that Brimsek's #1 was not retired...

And after Kaspars Daugavins missed that empty net in triple OT of the Stanley Cup Final or whatever, I'm surprised they don't want to burn the number 16...

Reactions: BenchBrawl

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I was also surprised to learn that Brimsek's #1 was not retired...

And after Kaspars Daugavins missed that empty net in triple OT of the Stanley Cup Final or whatever, I'm surprised they don't want to burn the number 16...

It was Glen Wesley #26 that missed the open net. He won the Cup many moons later with the WhalerCanes.

I don’t think there are any plans at present to retire #26

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Cup and 'stache?

cup and

image9.jpeg

of course

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It was Glen Wesley #26 that missed the open net. He won the Cup many moons later with the WhalerCanes.

I don’t think there are any plans at present to retire #26

Wesley missed an open net in 1990, and I actually give him the benefit of the doubt on that one because it was a very tough play to make - it just looked bad on TV.

Daugavins choked away a gaping net in triple OT of game 1 of the 2013 finals because he panicked and tried to dangle instead of shooting it in the completely empty net that was staring him right in the face. Will never forgive that guy.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Daugavins choked away a gaping net in triple OT of game 1 of the 2013 finals because he panicked and tried to dangle instead of shooting it in the completely empty net that was staring him right in the face. Will never forgive that guy.

I forgot all about that.

Thanks for reminding me.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
There's no doubt that Rick Middleton had a decent career with the Bruins. However, I must admit that when I think of the Bruins, I always associate number 16 with this guy:

hockey-boston-bruins-derek-sanderson-on-ice-during-game-at-boston-picture-id163688354

:jets

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad