Bruins fans should care about more than just laundry

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Late in the second period on June 13, 2011 with the Bruins up I think 4-0, as I sat in my seats watching yet another Canucks player get abused without retaliating or even sticking up for him or herself I felt the Cup would be Boston's in about 48 hours. I cant remember if it was even Patrice Bergeron, but it was some non Bruins physical player who was being sent to the box for roughing up Canucks defenseman Christian Erhof, who never made eye contact with the Bruins player, but looked at the ref like a little child to save him. Pathetic.

Not that Erhoff is a wuss, he's actually not bad, pretty good player although I've not seen enough to understand why the Sabres would buy him out. But he was the antithesis of those late Spring Canucks in 2011.

Now I read on HF Bruins board posters suggesting we get rid of a real freaking Bruins type in Johnny Boychuk and bring in the recently bought out Erhoff. Wally, if there is anyway to do a one day lifting of a ban so Scott from Vermont aka Don Cherry (snicker) can say it better than me. I don't want this guy on this team. You people have gone soft and you want your team to match your brains.

Also, a few things I must have missed in my 40+ live games last year on Boychuk. He had his best year- the guy is a rock, a legit top four....a few of the same posters who want Chara traded want to get rid of Boychuk not realizing without Boychuk next year to pick up tough minutes of one goal, last minutes to periods, and penalty kill will somehow revert to Chara. Big Z wont be fading in the playoffs if he makes it, he'll be cooked by Presidents Day.

Even without Iginla, Boston passes big time the down the middle test- goalie, Defense, and Centers. In all three areas they are top 5 in the game. I like Iggy a lot and want him back but no hesitation who I'd keep if the two were up and I had one choice- #55.

Part of me knows some here just like to trade and put knew guys in the lineup, to dream, imagine, get knew players- but in the real world dumping Johnny for something that wont show a return for at least a year or longer or take a loss is nuts.

Boychuk is so Bruins it sucks to know that based on his age, the cap, and his value (oh, yah, he will probably get $5 M a year next offseason) he will be gone in 12 months.

Loved that 2011 team, that run, that two months of games, the 3 months of partying and two memories I have are Johnny with that beard holding the Cup wearing a baseball hat, and Christian Erhoff only a few feet away from me looking for the ref to do his battle.

Felger and Amonte said it similarly:
After Vancouver defenseman Christian Ehrhoff dropped to the ice and covered himself up ... “They're intimidated,” Amonte said.

Last edited:

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Yea I do agree. It's funny, one of the biggest reasons we won in 2011 was because we were the meanest mother f's in the entire league. And look at the Kings...same deal with them this year and in 2012, they have all mean grinders throughout the lineup.

It kills me seeing that PC looks like he's trending away from that based on this years draft class. We've made it to the cup 2 out of the 4 years with a tough team. I hope he comes to his senses about it.

Eriksson is another indication of it, as well as letting Thornton go. Steping away from the original style of Big and Bad could run Chiarelli of town in my opinion. Look at what Benning is doing in Vancouver, he's making his team TOUGH. They'll be a team in the future to watch.

Don't get me wrong it's good to have your finesse players, but they always break down in the playoffs. Ugh, it will kill me if I see the Habs punishing us next season in the physical department...

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yes this has been on my mind since Chia had his post sc playoffs news conference. Losing Boychuk would be a disaster for the B's, one that may trigger the beginning of the end for this group. Too many here seem to think that you run them like a fantasy team, replaceable parts etc. Either they didn't see enough of it under Mike O'Connell or...they'd like to emulate and repeat that kind of musical chairs mass confusion in the locker room, on the bench and ice. IF Chia over reacts to those who keep harping on the Canadiens speed and not on the fact that the B's played as badly as a team could, missed umpteen shots on net and had a kiddy corp on the blueline. It all came down to Peter Chiarelli NOT making timely moves to shore up the defense when he had 4 months to do something significant. Liking the guys on your bench is fine and dandy but you (Chia) needed to be strong enough to make decisive moves. Further he can look at his coach, a very good coach but one who makes changes the same way the Kremlin would've in the 1950s. Chia NEEDS to man up and make the tough choices and live by them...and when I mean tough choices, I mean getting rid of anyone not pulling in the same direction that you want to go in. Johnny Boychuk is not one of those.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Trading Johnny B and bringing in Christian Ehrhoff makes no sense to me at all.

IMO you don't bring Iggy back and try to unload Kelly.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Won't disagree. My only bit is that (harp harp) is that the Bruins *do* have add speed & skill, throughout the line-up. Again, it's not 2011 anymore.

Another burgeoning harp: Swap Spooner for a legit wing, per DocShole suggestion.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Agree 100% Dan. There have been a lot of under appreciated players in Boston over the years and Bouchuk is definitely in the top 1/3rd of that list.

He's a warrior and seems to be appreciated by his team mates. Guys like that aren't easily replaced.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I would absolutely hate to lose Boychuk. He's a hell of a Bruin and been great for us. I'm worried enough as it is that the team's gonna be too soft next year.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Yea I do agree. It's funny, one of the biggest reasons we won in 2011 was because we were the meanest mother f's in the entire league. And look at the Kings...same deal with them this year and in 2012, they have all mean grinders throughout the lineup.

It kills me seeing that PC looks like he's trending away from that based on this years draft class. We've made it to the cup 2 out of the 4 years with a tough team. I hope he comes to his senses about it.

Eriksson is another indication of it, as well as letting Thornton go. Steping away from the original style of Big and Bad could run Chiarelli of town in my opinion. Look at what Benning is doing in Vancouver, he's making his team TOUGH. They'll be a team in the future to watch.

Don't get me wrong it's good to have your finesse players, but they always break down in the playoffs. Ugh, it will kill me if I see the Habs punishing us next season in the physical department...

people keep saying we couldn't hang with the Habs speed and then people are complaining that we don't have enough toughness...so which is it? We didn't lose to Chicago due to lack of toughness, that's for sure. Most of this team's toughness comes from having Chara and Lucic in the lineup. I fail to see how missing guys like Ryder, Peverley, etc. of that 2011 roster has been a significant downgrade in the toughness department. Pretty much all the heavy hitters from that 2011 team are still on our roster.

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
Beautiful post Dan. I've been seeing all the boychuk chatter on the trades board when looking for a chuckle. Everyone wants him and no one gives him value. He means more to this team than he's ever given credit for. It's guys like him, Seids and Campbell that bring workhorse attitudes, grind you to dust play styles and black hole coverage that wears teams down.

Hockey is as much if not more about beating your opponent mentally and physically as it is about finesse goals. There's a reason that guys like Nash can light up a regular season and do nothing int he play offs.

If you're losing boychuk you better be ready to fill a giant gap. If you can figure out a way to keep him, you've given yourself a building block for the coming years.

David Krejci*

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments in this thread. It drives me up the wall to see people making trade proposals with him as a ****ing cap dump. So ignorant. He means so much to this team and is one of the few players who you can bet your life that he is going to take his play to the next level in the playoffs, the only thing that really matters.

I would be gutted to see him go. It's not going to happen, unless they get a LEGIT top 6 winger back. And I don't mean someone like frigging David Perron. Chiarelli is smart, he knows there are plenty of other avenues they can go down to get cap relief. A Boychuk cap dump proposal thread should be automatic permaban at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I couldn't agree more with the sentiments in this thread. It drives me up the wall to see people making trade proposals with him as a ****ing cap dump. So ignorant. He means so much to this team and is one of the few players who you can bet your life that he is going to take his play to the next level in the playoffs, the only thing that really matters.

I would be gutted to see him go. It's not going to happen, unless they get a LEGIT top 6 winger back. And I don't mean someone like frigging David Perron. Chiarelli is smart, he knows there are plenty of other avenues they can go down to get cap relief. A Boychuk cap dump proposal thread should be automatic permaban at this point.

Listen, I want Boychuk here more than the next guy...He's been one of my favorite Bruin's since the cup run in 2011. He's what's being a Bruin is all about, everything about his game.

I feel as though it would be more of a cap dump for Kelly TBH. Only way were trading CK23 is in a package. I hope we keep Johnny Boy around as long as possible but like you said, for a legit top 6, I'm willing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I can understand trading Boychuk for cap reasons - doesn't mean I want it or like it; I don't - but I can't see trading Boychuk and adding Erhoff. The thought is disgusting.

Fortunately I think the odds of that happening are pretty much nil. Somebody will pay Erhoff, and it won't be Boston.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I can understand trading Boychuk for cap reasons - doesn't mean I want it or like it; I don't - but I can't see trading Boychuk and adding Erhoff. The thought is disgusting.

Fortunately I think the odds of that happening are pretty much nil. Somebody will pay Erhoff, and it won't be Boston.

:laugh: Yeah, I'm with ya on this one.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Wanna know who was the least important player in the entire Habs series. Shawn Thornton. The guy who played 5 minutes a night and Habs just skated away from. A true red flag would be trading Lucic. Players are actually afraid of Lucic on the ice. No one on the Habs was afraid of Thornton this year.

The Shawn Thornton from the beginning of game 3 in 2011 that ran over Burrows doesn't exist anymore. It's unfortunate because he was a great bruin and amazing teammate. But his days are long past being relevant on the ice.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Dan, I wish you'd make up your mind, man. One minute you're defending Kelly and telling us we should keep him and then the next minute you're shaming us for suggesting Boychuk be traded.

Look at the numbers...someone has to go and McQuaid's 1.5 million is likely not enough. If you think we should keep both Kelly AND Boychuk then who do you propose we move?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dan, I wish you'd make up your mind, man. One minute you're defending Kelly and telling us we should keep him and then the next minute you're shaming us for suggesting Boychuk be traded.

Look at the numbers...someone has to go and McQuaid's 1.5 million is likely not enough. If you think we should keep both Kelly AND Boychuk then who do you propose we move?

I am more building a case that Kelly has value and not useless. I clearly understand it but I also think when Chia includes these sweeteners I would not be surprised if he gives his word they will not be bought out or put on waivers. Chia sat on that side of the table at one time and is big on loyalty.

I think there is contingency plan or plans if Iggy takes the one year but if he doesn't that changes - Kelly probably and understandably plays into this but this is a 'we'll cross that bridge IF we have to."

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Actually, your buddy and everyone here's friend Dom brought it up. Just a reality check for the tough guys. We did go 39 years without winning a cup despite being the big, bad Bruins. We lost to Chicago because of a skill difference. Not a toughness difference. Which was in our favor. I don't want a soft team. But, we vastly over-rate the effectiveness of being tough because that's the style of hockey we prefer. I have no problem keeping Boychuk over Iggy. Or, vice-versa. Both good players. Both pretty tough too eh?

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Why does everyone equate toughness as no skill, or small as skilled and not tough?

I want both in my players regardless of size. Granted it's usually the bigger guy, but we had PJ Stock who would take on anyone...so we know little guys can be tough too

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Let me preface the following post by saying this: I'm not in favor of trading Boychuk just to bring in Erhoff. That is asinine. I want Boychuk here, think he is a solid top 4 guy and his cap hit is relatively appropriate, and we can shed salary elsewhere.

But anyways...

I understand the sentiment of building a 'tough' team. That we can't get away from what won us the cup. That guys like Boychuk are who we need. I don't necessarily disagree with that. The reason we won the cup in 2011 was largely because of this. The team's ability to intimidate the Canucks, strike fear in their hearts, and basically just grind their wills to pulp. And it worked. But that Canucks team was mentally weak.

The teams coming out of the West these days, the Kings, the Blackhawks, the Ducks maybe? They aren't mentally weak. They are built the same way, to handle that mental adversity. To grind through each game. To get in your head. And guess what? They are also more skilled. You aren't going to intimidate these teams. They are going to fight back and then once that 'tough' edge is gone, what are you left with? Skill and desire vs. skill and desire. And we all know it seems like the desire isn't always there, and as Montreal proved to us, maybe some of the skill wasn't there either.

Again, I'm not advocating for moving Boychuk. But losing him wouldn't change this team. Losing him and not replacing his MENTALITY would. Replacing him with Erhoff is going the complete wrong direction. You can still find the guys out there that WANT it. The guys that are willing to grind out every shift. As long as the Bruins continue to do that (and for the most part, I've yet to see them move away from it). They are in a bit of a cap crunch here, and there are places to free cap space in order to ice a proper team, but I feel as long as they sign guys who want it and have the skill to play, they don't necessarily have to fit this big ol tough guy role.

I just wish there were more guys out there like Justin Williams. By no means a world class player, but his compete level is always there, he can certainly play, and isn't exactly a super bruiser. He can play physical, but that doesn't define his game. Yet he is the exact type of guy that fits the culture of this team. Too bad there are so few out there these days.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
Agree 100% Dan. There have been a lot of under appreciated players in Boston over the years and Bouchuk is definitely in the top 1/3rd of that list.

He's a warrior and seems to be appreciated by his team mates. Guys like that aren't easily replaced.

Agreed... I don't get it... Last season everyone was clamoring when Seidenberg went down that we needed to pick up another defensive, reliable, minute-eating defenseman.

Why now the change of heart? Did anyone here think that JB could replace DS? No, right? (hence the outcry for a defenseman)... Does anyone here think that getting DS back makes JB expendable? Man - after these past playoffs, I'd certainly hope not.

Bottom line is that you win with guys like JB and DS... Guys who aren't flashy - just go out and get the job done.

To me - having a lineup that includes Z, DS, JB, and Dougie (guys who are - or are VERY quickly becoming - great all around Defensemen), along with a little splash of color like Krug gives you a contending D-corps...

I like Iggy... I like him A LOT - we don't get too many 30-goal scorers around these parts - especially ones who can fight their own battles. But I don't think I'd want to bring him back if the only way to do so would be to lose JB. If there's other ways to fit him in (McQuaid, CK (who I like, just think his contract is too rich for his place on the team), I'm all for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad