Line Combos: Bruins D pairings for 2013-2014

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Another good game for MANchuk, this guy gets it done in the playoffs.

Keep him, he's a solid top 4 guy.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
Whether it's Horton they bring back or someone else, they'll need a top 6 forward. They can't afford to keep both Horton and Rask without dumping some contracts. Peverley, Boychuk, Kelly -- in that order -- are the guys you look to move.

Peverley is replaceable by Spooner. You lose a little speed there and some defense, but gain offensive creativity.

Boychuk is replaceable by Bartkowski. You lose some physicality, but you gain speed and puck moving.

Chris Kelly is the only one of the three who doesn't have a direct replacement anywhere in the pipeline, which is why I would prefer to keep him.

With the new CBA teams are allowed two buyouts. Have to think at least Peverley or Kelly gets bought out to save the 3 million on the cap. Easily replaceable with Soderberg and Spooner.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
I also wouldn't be shocked to see one of the young D, probably Bartkowski, packaged in a deal to bring in a young impact winger.

Chara|Hamilton
Boychuk|Seidenberg
McQuaid|Krug

Ference

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I also wouldn't be shocked to see one of the young D, probably Bartkowski, packaged in a deal to bring in a young impact winger.

Chara|Hamilton
Boychuk|Seidenberg
McQuaid|Krug

Ference

I've actually been thinking the same and honestly, I think it makes the most sense. I don't want to see Boychuk go anywhere and would probably choose McQuaid to move if anyone, but how much would he realistically return? I want to see Krug take over for Ference and Hamilton is obviously going nowhere and with Boychuk, Chara and Seidenberg probably pretty safe, that leaves Bart as the odd man out. I think they either keep him as the 7th d rotating perhaps with Krug, or they do what you said and use Bart to either move back into the first round after we're looking like we're going to lose our pick or grab a young winger like you mentioned.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
you have to keep boychuk...the guy is a warrior and the difference between him and mcquaid is huge...boychuk knows how to get the puck through to the net, which creates chances, something mcquaid can not do. chara, seidenberg, hamilton are givens...seidenberg likes to play the right side, so that leaves us requiring 1 right handed dman and 2 lefties...krug and bartkowski play the left side, are young, cheap and bring a completely new element to the bruins offence...so that leaves boychuk and mcquaid...i take mcquaid every time and hope horton signs a discount, and they can move peverly for a bag of pucks, maybe even move kelly for a pick.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Chara / Boychuk
Krug / Seidenberg
Bartkowski / Hamilton
McQuaid

McQuaid in and out with injury, or when they need toughness. Let Ference and Redden walk.

For forwards, I think Horton will come cheaper than we think, with the cap going down, contracts in general will not be as huge for UFA, especially in first year, and I think Horton really loves playing in Boston with his linemates.

Chia is most likely dipping into Savard LTR, but I think you can find a trade partner for both Kelly and Peverly, as good faceoff guys, SC and tons of playoff experience, and high, but not disastrous contracts, someone will be buying. Plus, Soderberg, Seguin and Spooner can all play center, with the $ crunch coming, you have to take that chance and give younger guys a shot.

Not necessarily yet, but will have to replace Thornton as a pugilist real soon.

Tuukka's gonna be expensive, and no way Khudobin comes back for limited money and limited playing time.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I still think they might move Boychuk to bring Ference back. Get an asset for Johnny, and save a million or so on salary overall

I think the 6th spot is Krug or Bartkowski, with the other being the 7th man

Chara-Seidenberg
Ference-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid
Bartkowski

Krug & Hamilton on the point for the power play.

I don't mind the idea of moving boychuck to find a better top 4 guy... someone better able to play 23-25 mins a night in the event Chara/Seidenberg go down at playoff time with injuries.

the idea I am playing in my head though is to convince Calgary to eat some salary on dennis wideman's contract and bring him back. Boychuck seems like a better guy for Calgary to be going through a rebuild with and id say boychuck and wideman have roughly equal trade value... id throw in a pick to make up the difference in what calagary eats for salary... maybe a prospect like caron if we are giving up on him?

I like a top 4 of hamilton/chara and wideman/Seidenberg over the next 3 years or so {assuming we resign Seidenberg} It has a lot of puck moving/mobility but still a fair amount of grit/defense/leadership too.

for my bottom 2 I keep McQuaid cause losing Boychuck/Ference does hurt a lot for grit. Bartowski/Krug are showing me enough that I am starting to feel ok with them in the 6/7 roles for this upcoming season. Maybe whoever has the strongest camp starts in the 6 spot and we sign a vet like redden for the 7 role... but I see both krug/bartowski having a chance to play more games in the NHL than the AHL next season.

I think the jury is still out if they will become more than 5/6 dman for the most part in their careers... but I think for now that's all we are looking for anyhow. Maybe these guys become trade assets at some point? That's not necessarily a bad thing either. It doesn't hurt to have young affordable players around that other teams will give up something to get...

I still want vet dmen capable of playing all situations if im trying to win a cup... Hamilton is a unique talent capable of being a 1-2 guy so I give him every single opportunity to develop I can... bartowski/krug might be able to overcome their disadvantages with size to become something really good too, but for now im just very pleasantly surprised they've had 2-3-4 strong games for is in these playoffs. I will hope they are strong next game too. I am not ready to hand them any Norris trophys or a spot in the hall of fame yet though. At best I thought they might be candidates for 6/7 icetime next year before these playoffs started... that where I still see them slotted for next year even after their playoff heroics to date

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I don't mind the idea of moving boychuck to find a better top 4 guy... someone better able to play 23-25 mins a night in the event Chara/Seidenberg go down at playoff time with injuries.

the idea I am playing in my head though is to convince Calgary to eat some salary on dennis wideman's contract and bring him back. Boychuck seems like a better guy for Calgary to be going through a rebuild with and id say boychuck and wideman have roughly equal trade value... id throw in a pick to make up the difference in what calagary eats for salary... maybe a prospect like caron if we are giving up on him?

I like a top 4 of hamilton/chara and wideman/Seidenberg over the next 3 years or so {assuming we resign Seidenberg} It has a lot of puck moving/mobility but still a fair amount of grit/defense/leadership too.

for my bottom 2 I keep McQuaid cause losing Boychuck/Ference does hurt a lot for grit. Bartowski/Krug are showing me enough that I am starting to feel ok with them in the 6/7 roles for this upcoming season. Maybe whoever has the strongest camp starts in the 6 spot and we sign a vet like redden for the 7 role... but I see both krug/bartowski having a chance to play more games in the NHL than the AHL next season.

I think the jury is still out if they will become more than 5/6 dman for the most part in their careers... but I think for now that's all we are looking for anyhow. Maybe these guys become trade assets at some point? That's not necessarily a bad thing either. It doesn't hurt to have young affordable players around that other teams will give up something to get...

I still want vet dmen capable of playing all situations if im trying to win a cup... Hamilton is a unique talent capable of being a 1-2 guy so I give him every single opportunity to develop I can... bartowski/krug might be able to overcome their disadvantages with size to become something really good too, but for now im just very pleasantly surprised they've had 2-3-4 strong games for is in these playoffs. I will hope they are strong next game too. I am not ready to hand them any Norris trophys or a spot in the hall of fame yet though. At best I thought they might be candidates for 6/7 icetime next year before these playoffs started... that where I still see them slotted for next year even after their playoff heroics to date

Boychuk for Wideman? Really? Are we going here?

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
However the Bruins choose to go on defense for next year it is apparent that they have accumulated more quality depth than most folks thought they have.

Hamilton has his place in the rotation and will continue to develop. Bartkowski and Krug are legitimate contenders for spots in Boston and there are others in the pipeline with potential.

Cross, Miller, Casto, Trotman and Warsofsky are the next tier of youngsters coming along at the AHL level. Button and Cohen are farther behind in Providence and may be out of the picture for NHL potential.

O'Gara and Grzelczyk have had very good starts in their freshmen year in college and Benning will be a freshman next year.

Chudinov has promise but may never come over from Russia.

Keep feeding the pipeline on defense through good drafting and free agent acquisitions. The future looks good.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
Ference and Redden are gone. unless one signs for real cheap. I would hate to move Bart or Krug. They are young and play well and know the system here. Seids I want to resign as the top pairing with Chara. I would also hate to lose Boychuck but It maybe to expensive to have both of them. I can see sieds moving on then Johnny is younger and can play the same game as seids.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

wideman is awful, ask flames fans what they think...ask bruins posters what they think. i would take boychuk with 1 leg over wideman.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
We have to cut salary somewhere, so I wouldn't mind letting Ference and Redden walk and trading Quaider for a pick. Then sign a right-handed defensive-minded d-man for under a million to fill in the 7th spot. Depth is key, as was shown this year, but I think I'd take a chance with the young guys and try to keep most of the forwards intact.

Chara-Hamilton
Bartkowski-Seidenberg
Krug-Boychuk

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I like Boychuk but would think that the Oilers would listen hard to an offer of Boychuk and Kelly as it is exactly what they need. Leadership and veteran presence for the thrid line and a top 4 defenceman. I have no idea what they would give up or what Chia would want but it frees up salary and leavs a D of Chara, Seids, McQuaid, Bart, Krug, and Dougie with a resigning of either Ference or another vet D. the loss of Kelly would hurt but again we have a fair amount of young F prospects plus Soderberg that could possibly step in to the third lin.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I like Boychuk but would think that the Oilers would listen hard to an offer of Boychuk and Kelly as it is exactly what they need. Leadership and veteran presence for the thrid line and a top 4 defenceman. I have no idea what they would give up or what Chia would want but it frees up salary and leavs a D of Chara, Seids, McQuaid, Bart, Krug, and Dougie with a resigning of either Ference or another vet D. the loss of Kelly would hurt but again we have a fair amount of young F prospects plus Soderberg that could possibly step in to the third lin.
Jordan Eberle would be a nice return on that trade.

Kaoz*

And likely completely unrealistic.

A more likely target would be a guy like Paajarvi, boat loads of upside but a real issue realizing his potential. Send him and a D prospect like Teubert our way and Bruins should walk away happy.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Except that does absolutely nothing for the Bruins cap concerns as you are basically getting one player who makes as much as the 2 players you are dealing combined.

if you were doing Boychuck to Edm, then you are looking at someone from the Klefbom/Marincin/Musil group, and maybe a pick. Package him with Kelly maybe for MPS and one of the D.

Ultimately though I am opposed to dealing Boychuck unless somehow it is in a package deal that significantly improves you back there, say a Carlson type deal.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Boychuck leads the play-offs in blocks, and the Rangers have played the same amount of games were there defensmen pretend there the goaltender.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Before this postseason I would have been willing to move Boychuk. We have four defensemen capable of playing the right side. Boychuk is more expensive than McQuaid and Hamilton (also has less upside than Hamilton) and is less valuable than Seidenberg. But Boychuk's been fantastic this postseason. A legit second pair anchor. I wouldn't trade him. And I don't know how the pairings will look, but I imagine

Chara
Seidenberg
Boychuk
Hamilton
Krug
Bartkowski
McQuaid

will be our 7. McQuaid could play in games where we need more defense (like against the Pens, Flyers, Habs, Isles, maybe Leafs) and Bart could play when we need more offense (Rangers, Devils). And of course injuries will change things over the course of the season, but I feel good about those 7.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Torn on my stance re: JB from yesterday :lol:

Either he's really upping his value for trade, or becoming irreplaceable.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
And likely completely unrealistic.

A more likely target would be a guy like Paajarvi, boat loads of upside but a real issue realizing his potential. Send him and a D prospect like Teubert our way and Bruins should walk away happy.

Teubert certainly would appear to be a guy who might appeal to B's, although he is getting to the point where you have to wonder a little about his NHL potential.

Kaoz*

I just don;t see a scenario where Boychuck and Seids are on the Bruins after 2013-2014

Holy poop. That's your #2 and #3 defensemen on a team that relies on defense to win. I have a hard time thinking of one being gone, both would take quite some time to recover from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad