Boston Globe Bruins cushion allows Cassidy to tinker

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ cushion in standings allows Bruce Cassidy to tinker - The Boston Globe

OTTAWA — In April, if the Bruins are holding a lead, it’s unlikely that Tim Schaller will get the nod for six-on-five duty when the opposing goalie is pulled. On the blue line, Brandon Carlo may cede his end-game shifts to Kevan Miller or Adam McQuaid. Those two musclemen are not high on the list of characters that opponents want to meet in the dark-alley real estate in front of the net.
But current experience will help when the playoffs begin.
The Bruins’ 14-0-4 rampage through their last 18 opponents has assured that 2017-18 will continue past Game No. 82. They pause for Sunday’s All-Star Game in second place in the Atlantic Division. The Bruins are 5 points ahead of third-place Toronto. They are 20 points clear of Detroit, the No. 4 team amid the divisional drecks of Florida, Ottawa, Montreal, and Buffalo.

“You can tinker with some things,” Cassidy said after Thursday’s 3-2 win over the Senators. “We’ve used [David] Krejci’s line, that’s more of an offensive-start line, late in periods in our own end or in the last minute to grow their game and get used to playing against top-end players.
“We’ve done it on the back end. I’ve told Kevin [Dean] to try and do that at times — Carlo the other night ahead of Miller and McQuaid.
“So we want to grow our group. We’ve got a young team. We understand that. It’s not a developmental league per se. But there is a lot of development going on.”

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
This is such a foreign concept on this team that i almost don’t even understand what I’m reading. I’ll take, “things that could never happen with Julien at the wheel for 500 Alex!”
Yes, I loved Claude when he was ours. However, no one can deny he would never have done this.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
The comfortable position this team is in will be huge in the 2nd half of the season. I'm tempering my expectations for the stretch run because I'm assuming a lot of the youngsters will not have played this much hockey prior to this year. I'm fearing the dreaded rookie wall. Limiting/reallocating minutes will be important to keep these guys relatively fresh all year. Oh, and I almost forgot Chara. He has been very good thus far. Keep those old legs strong by keeping his minutes down.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
The comfortable position this team is in will be huge in the 2nd half of the season. I'm tempering my expectations for the stretch run because I'm assuming a lot of the youngsters will not have played this much hockey prior to this year. I'm fearing the dreaded rookie wall. Limiting/reallocating minutes will be important to keep these guys relatively fresh all year. Oh, and I almost forgot Chara. He has been very good thus far. Keep those old legs strong by keeping his minutes down.
While they may not have played NHL hockey as much as they have this year, both DeBrusk and Heinen had a full year in the AHL to get used to the grind that is a professional season.

Likewise Matt Grzlcyk. Charlie has played a lot of hockey prior to this season in various settings and under pressure.

I don't see where lack of experience is going to affect these kids.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

To an extent, we've kind of already seen this (with the exception of Chuckie Bright Lights). Debrusk has had his stretches of less than stellar play/production and recently Heinens play his dipped off a bit prior to him getting a hard work ugly assist and that nice PPG last game. Kuraly/Noel being on the 4th line sort of takes them out of the equation for hitting a wall. Unless their effort stops they will continue being effective in their roles. Anyways, my point is that the luxury of having what truly seems to be a true team that loves playing with/being around each other that is on a run of historic proportions is that it's not really noticeable. They can go through the ups and downs of being a young player in the NHL and we still keep winning. I'm sure they will dip off in play over the 2nd half but as long as the entire team continues to pick them up, it won't really matter. This team is primed to do some serious damage and this cushion is huge for doing all the things you mentioned and ensuring that we do that damage come playoff time. I'm pumped for the ride

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruins’ cushion in standings allows Bruce Cassidy to tinker - The Boston Globe

OTTAWA — In April, if the Bruins are holding a lead, it’s unlikely that Tim Schaller will get the nod for six-on-five duty when the opposing goalie is pulled. On the blue line, Brandon Carlo may cede his end-game shifts to Kevan Miller or Adam McQuaid. Those two musclemen are not high on the list of characters that opponents want to meet in the dark-alley real estate in front of the net.
But current experience will help when the playoffs begin.
The Bruins’ 14-0-4 rampage through their last 18 opponents has assured that 2017-18 will continue past Game No. 82. They pause for Sunday’s All-Star Game in second place in the Atlantic Division. The Bruins are 5 points ahead of third-place Toronto. They are 20 points clear of Detroit, the No. 4 team amid the divisional drecks of Florida, Ottawa, Montreal, and Buffalo.

“You can tinker with some things,” Cassidy said after Thursday’s 3-2 win over the Senators. “We’ve used [David] Krejci’s line, that’s more of an offensive-start line, late in periods in our own end or in the last minute to grow their game and get used to playing against top-end players.
“We’ve done it on the back end. I’ve told Kevin [Dean] to try and do that at times — Carlo the other night ahead of Miller and McQuaid.
“So we want to grow our group. We’ve got a young team. We understand that. It’s not a developmental league per se. But there is a lot of development going on.”

SMART COACH

Reactions: pemulis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad