98.5 The Sports Hub Bruins coach Jim Montgomery reveals playoff goaltending plan on ‘Toucher & Hardy’ debut

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

During the debut of Toucher & Hardy, Boston Bruins head coach Jim Montgomerydiscussed the team’s goaltending strategy in the playoffs.

When Hardy asked the coach about the alternating goaltender strategy, Montgomery expressed the intention to continue it in the postseason, citing the mental demands of playoffs and the benefit of giving goaltenders a day off to reset.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If it started today, yes I rotate every damn game in the playoffs just like they do now. Kinda weird if suddenly the coach is preaching mental demands and benefits of rest days when he rode a very clearly injured Ullmark for 6 straight games last year

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
If it started today, yes I rotate every damn game in the playoffs just like they do now. Kinda weird if suddenly the coach is preaching mental demands and benefits of rest days when he rode a very clearly injured Ullmark for 6 straight games last year

Maybe he's learned his lesson. You'd have to hope the playoffs taught him a thing or two and those learnings will stick for next time.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
He said the same thing earlier in the season. Not sure if he’ll stick to the plan. Things change.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
He needs to concentrate on not screwing up UNTIL the playoffs. When
the playoffs arrive, he'll find new ways to screw the pooch.

Reactions: badbrewin

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
If they had done that last season, you have to wonder if they beat Florida and how far they go.

Reactions: BMC

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Jimmy.gif

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Here's the thing though

1) Your game 1 goalie is your game 7 goalie. So in many ways you are picking one key one
2) Down 0-2 in a series, everyone has a plan till they're punched in the mouth.
3) After 4 games if one goalie is .940 and one is .898, you mean to tell me you'll keep rotating?

So yes Monty, I believe you'll rotate goalies if you're up in a series, or they are playing very similarly. But know what? That's not going to be the case most of the time broseph. So we don't believe you.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
There’s just no winning for Monty is there? Doesn’t rotate goaltending in the playoffs? “What an idiot! Why wouldn’t you do what worked all year??”

Says he plans to:
“What an idiot!! Doesn’t he know that would never work ever??!”

Maybe it’s just not an easy decision?

I've been critical of Montgomery but it's not an easy decision at all.

Goaltending is their strongest suit.

You must admit that strict adherence to rotation in the playoffs -- assuming that's the plan, and I have my doubts -- is unconventional and fraught with challenges.

Typically, you go with the hot hand regardless, and when push comes to shove, this may prove the case.

But it's also true that this isn't a typical tandem. A strong argument can be made that both are excellent No. #1 goaltenders. It's an unseal circumstance.

Perhaps more important, neither are experienced playoff performers, and neither have had playoff success.

It's not fair but contemplating Linus Ullmark's physical and mental stamina over consecutive regular season starts, never mind playoff starts, is an entirely legitimate question.

Given that, maybe strict rotation is the way to go with this particular tandem. Armchair critics like me couldn't argue that Montgomery overtaxed one or the other with mental or physical fatigue.

As you say, it isn't an easy decision because it 'a novel situation and many factors must be considered.

It's a fascinating state of affairs and it makes me nervous.

Sincere good luck to all involved.

We shall see,

1704567334102.png

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

During the debut of Toucher & Hardy, Boston Bruins head coach Jim Montgomerydiscussed the team’s goaltending strategy in the playoffs.

When Hardy asked the coach about the alternating goaltender strategy, Montgomery expressed the intention to continue it in the postseason, citing the mental demands of playoffs and the benefit of giving goaltenders a day off to reset.
Monty reinventing the wheel is laughable.Ullmark has stunk in playoffs and was hurt was report I read. No buisness in that net after gaffe in game 5 is my opinion.Swayman should have been in before game 7.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad