Salary Cap: Bruins Cap Situation - Summer 2015

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
My best guess...

$5.7 million under the cap, if I put 23 players on the roster. The two unsigned are Connolly and Hayes.

Could probably sign one defenseman for about $3.0 million/year.

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
DJ Bean and generalfanager both have us at 8.9M for the 20 man roster. This includes unsigned Connelly and Hayes.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
$8.3m in space

Only holes in the roster:

-Connolly
-Hayes
-depth forward
-defensemen

I'm guessing Connolly and Hayes get around $2m each or less. If the defenseman is Morrow/Colin Miller and the forward is Griffith/Florek/Ferlin/Koko then that would leave the Bruins with enough cap room they could add just about anyone at the deadline.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
we should have about 5 million to spend on or acquire a top 4 D after we resign Hayes and Connolly

I'm guessing 1 yr 1.2 Million for Connolly

2 years 4 million for Hayes

Last edited:

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
we should have about 5 million to spend on or acquire a top 4 D after we resign Hayes and Connolly

I'm guess 1 yr 1.2 Million for Connolly

2 years 4 million for Hayes
Yeah, I'd guess somewhere between $5.5M and $6M after the Connolly and Hayes contracts. I'd like to see more salary moved (Kelly?) in addition to signing a solid minutes eater on D.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
DJ Bean and generalfanager both have us at 8.9M for the 20 man roster. This includes unsigned Connelly and Hayes.
I doubt the Bruins go through the season with a 20 man roster.

At a minimum, I'd figure 13 forwards and 7 defensemen. Do that, and they're at $7.0 million under the cap with Connolly and Hayes left to sign. Maybe they could squeeze in someone like Christian Ehrhoff at $4.5 million/year???

Last edited:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Here are 3 good cap links:

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/boston-bruins

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=BOS

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/BOS?year=2016

We still need a backup goalie probably, a depth forward, a #1/2 D-man, and to sign Connolly and Hayes. We can afford all but the #1/2 D-man... unless we move Kelly and get cap creative.

We have plenty of depth forwards. In a perfect world we'd pick up an elite sniper AND a top Dman, Semin still out there, may sign cheap for 1 year to re-build his reputation.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Here are 3 good cap links:

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/boston-bruins

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=BOS

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/BOS?year=2016

We still need a backup goalie probably, a depth forward, a #1/2 D-man, and to sign Connolly and Hayes. We can afford all but the #1/2 D-man... unless we move Kelly and get cap creative.

May be able to move Seids (or McQuaid) for cap space to get the Dman. Bruins have a lot of Dmen in the prospect pool-one of them can step into the NHL.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
We have plenty of depth forwards. In a perfect world we'd pick up an elite sniper AND a top Dman, Semin still out there, may sign cheap for 1 year to re-build his reputation.

So ~11.3m in space if we trade Kelly? I assume Connolly is going to get near the same contract as Spooner did, he only has 5 more points than Spooner does in nearly 100 more games played... We'll call that 1m, 2 years. I also assume Hayes will get a bridge deal, he had a 19 goal season last year, 2m per year for 2 years? Maybe 2.5.

So we'll say 7.8m after all of that is done... Signing Semin to a 1 year contract worth 3m would be worth the risk, if there is any. Is 4.8m enough to get Ehrhoff for one year? Maybe...

Eriksson-Krecji-Semin
Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly
Hayes-Spooner-Pastrnak
Rinaldo-Kemppainen-Talbot
Ferlin

Chara-Trotman
Seidenberg-Ehrhoff
Krug-McQuaid
Miller/Morrow

Just spitballing... Claude would probably vomit if we got Semin.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
we seem to have cleared up around 5 mill to get the needed dman that gives us a chance to win something this year

will we do it during the offseason {phaneuf/byfuglin/ufa?} or will we wait for next seasons deadline?

im guessing it makes more sense to wait... if chara/Seidenberg bounce back we are contenders and it makes sense to deadline upgrade but if they don't bounce back our defense is real mess and we might not be a playoff team

our lineup has become so young and unproven... but raw talent exists everywhere. if these kids buy into the leadership/work ethic here we might have something special.

its a pretty impressive job Sweeney has done if it all works out but this much turnover rarely gels immediately. I count 8 new forwards that were not regulars with us before the deadline last year who will be regulars this year and at least 2 dman... that's almost half the team.

its going to feel weird watching the first game this season and not recognizing anyone out there

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So ~11.3m in space if we trade Kelly? I assume Connolly is going to get near the same contract as Spooner did, he only has 5 more points than Spooner does in nearly 100 more games played... We'll call that 1m, 2 years. I also assume Hayes will get a bridge deal, he had a 19 goal season last year, 2m per year for 2 years? Maybe 2.5.

So we'll say 7.8m after all of that is done... Signing Semin to a 1 year contract worth 3m would be worth the risk, if there is any. Is 4.8m enough to get Ehrhoff for one year? Maybe...

Eriksson-Krecji-Semin
Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly
Hayes-Spooner-Pastrnak
Rinaldo-Kemppainen-Talbot
Ferlin

Chara-Trotman
Seidenberg-Ehrhoff
Krug-McQuaid
Miller/Morrow

Just spitballing... Claude would probably vomit if we got Semin.

half the forwards are already being replaced... I don't think we can afford to lose kellys leadership at this point. I see Kelly as a guy they will resign to a 2-3 year deal at half the cap hit and let him stick around as the fourth line glue guy as he winds down his career.

lineup I see as of this moment...

Connolly/krecji/belasky... gives krecji a couple big bodies that can skate and have hands

hayes/Bergeron/marchand... will have to see about the chemistry here

pastrnak/spooner/Eriksson... let Eriksson be the responsible defensive presence for these kids

Talbot/Kelly/rinaldo... should have way more scoring potential than the 4th had the past couple years

theres at least 9 ahl kids that could rotate into the extra spots up front... so much depth...

on defense... I would maybe put Seidenberg/chara back together and see if that can help these old war horses rebound

mcquaid/krug are being paid like a 3/4 pair so throw them in the deep end and see if the earn the vote of confidence

miller/morrow are the kids with the most potential to be ok

trottman has an early edge on the other guys for 7th spot since hes on a one way deal

but tons of yummy depth now in the minors and if morrow struggles we got lots of interesting guys to try in his spot.

rask obviously is the starting goalie... we will have to pick up a backup from ufa

theres around 9 mill cap room to sign Connolly/hayes... pay 2 forwards and trottman and a goalie

that should come out at around 6 mill tops which leaves around 3 mill unused money

if we did sign a guy like erhoff to a similar deal he got last year that would eat up that 3 mill and the mill we save putting morrow in the minors.

we aren't swimming in tons of cap room to add a semin/erhoff upgrade now but come deadline our money multiplies... by deadline time we will have a better understanding where some of our kids fit in our plans.

we got so many good prospects now we would easily be able to pick up a dman upgrade or two if it made sense at that point

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
It sounds like we're not done. Expect to see a defenseman added. Definitely have some room to work with here. #DealerDonnie

I've must have asked this question 50 times. Is it possible to move Lucic's remaining salary? Dom alert.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
It sounds like we're not done. Expect to see a defenseman added. Definitely have some room to work with here. #DealerDonnie

I've must have asked this question 50 times. Is it possible to move Lucic's remaining salary? Dom alert.

No. Thankfully it's only a 1 year hit so it won't be too hard to stomach.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Did I read somewhere that Boston also has a bonus overage of approx. 950k bringing down the money available to sign a UFA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad