Bruins break ground on “The Hub on Causewayâ€.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
After being a vacant lot for almost 20 years, ground was broken today on the new entrance to TD Garden on the site of the old building. I knew about the super market but I didn't know about the movie theaters.

Jacobs said today the existing arena is expected to be in service to at least 2095. :amazed:

CZvWZbSW0AASRJr.jpg:large

CZvXLTmWAAEgNdo.jpg:large

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=44996

The first phase of construction is expected to be completed in three years, with an opening in late 2018.

This phase will feature 10,000 square feet of outdoor space being converted into the new entrance for TD Garden and North Station.

It will also consist of approximately 210,000 square feet of multi-level retail and restaurant space, including the city of Boston’s largest supermarket (a 60,00 square foot Star Market) and the Northeast’s first ArcLight Cinema (a 60,000 square foot theater with 15 screens).

Nearly 600 more parking spaces will be added, along with 175,000 square feet of work-loft office space.

“This represents a move towards giving this area a more neighborhood feel, bringing more resources and amenities to the residents in connecting them to this area,” said Mayor Walsh.

CZvXLTsWIAAPexG.jpg:large

CZvXLTrXEAEy1L0.jpg:large

Last edited:

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Too bad they couldn't tear down the Fleetcenter and build the arena people actually wanted underneath that thing. Cinder blocks last forever.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Back in the day the was an..... ahem..... "movie theatre" on Causeway just outside that same entrance area they are now speaking about. :naughty:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
After being a vacant lot for almost 20 years, ground was broken today on the new entrance to TD Garden on the site of the old building. I knew about the super market but I didn't know about the movie theaters.

Jacobs said today the existing arena is expected to be in service to at least 2095. :amazed:

CZvWZbSW0AASRJr.jpg:large

CZvXLTmWAAEgNdo.jpg:large

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=44996

CZvXLTsWIAAPexG.jpg:large

CZvXLTrXEAEy1L0.jpg:large

How hard would it be to get a press conference when Jacobs and ask when, in the next 80 years, he plans on replacing a seat.

The "cushioned" ones in the loge are just as hard at this point as the completely plastic ones in the balcony (which is where I sit 90% of the time). I mean...the new paint has got the place looking nice and all, but I do wonder about some actual improvements.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
How hard would it be to get a press conference when Jacobs and ask when, in the next 80 years, he plans on replacing a seat.

The "cushioned" ones in the loge are just as hard at this point as the completely plastic ones in the balcony (which is where I sit 90% of the time). I mean...the new paint has got the place looking nice and all, but I do wonder about some actual improvements.

They gutted every concourse in the whole building and built a new pro shop

let's give some credit where it's due.

and fwiw, the balcony is 1000X better for concessions than it was prior to the renovation

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
They don't make disaster movies like they used to.

I saw "The Towering Inferno" ('74) in the theater, though not here. There were a string of apocalyptic/sci-fi/disaster flicks in the 70s that really made an impression, for better or (more probably) for worse.

Such as...

The Planet of the Apes saga; The Omega Man; Soylent Green; The Poseidon Adventure; Rollerball; (Jaws); Earthquake; Logan's Run...

Goo' times, :D

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Too bad they couldn't tear down the Fleetcenter and build the arena people actually wanted underneath that thing. Cinder blocks last forever.

The FleeceCenter was over budget when built 20 years ago and they never finished the Nashua Street side which was supposed to be the second entrance. Bob Ryan called it the 'Chevy Chevette' of the new arenas built in the 90's and frankly if you go on road trips with the Bruins there are very few arenas out there that will make you miss TD Garden. The only one I can think of is St. Louis.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Man I love the chicken fingers with the general sauce.

Gelato's good by 322, and I liked the "fancy" chicken nachos near 311 - much better than the "open a small plastic bag of chips, dump it in a tray with cheez whiz and tostitos-grade salsa" that they have at some stands.

That said, I was forced into getting the nachos because I wanted to watch the first half of the Pats game and didn't have time to eat at Halftime Pizza....the prices at the Garden are ridiculous. Jacobs should negotiate better with his food supplier.

BTW, who's their food supplier? Oh, yeah, crap. :help::help:

I was skeptical about the renovations, but I have to admit they did a decent job over the last two summers without interrupting the Bruins too much. The fact that they sell bottles of beers in the balcony does mystify me a little....just seems like they're pressing their luck with some of the folks up in the nosebleeds. I took my mom to the Boston Strong concert, and they had to pour her bottled water in a cup - I don't know too many 68 year-olds who would toss a bottle of water from the balcony at James Taylor and/or Carole King.

(Of course, she'd probably heave one at Dane Cook, but that's just common sense.)

Jacobs mentioned something about the HDX getting old....wonder if that's next. And I'd love the ribbon to alternate advertisements with actual stats - y'know, if you flash up every once in awhile the running TOI of a few players and the numbers of the players who scored/assisted on goals, I just might look at the ribbon. And if I look at the ribbon long enough, my eyes will be there when the Alex and Ani ad pops back on.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jacobs mentioned something about the HDX getting old....wonder if that's next. And I'd love the ribbon to alternate advertisements with actual stats - y'know, if you flash up every once in awhile the running TOI of a few players and the numbers of the players who scored/assisted on goals, I just might look at the ribbon. And if I look at the ribbon long enough, my eyes will be there when the Alex and Ani ad pops back on.

New board is a go for next year - will be 4K

It will be similar to Daktronics boards in Montreal and New York

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
In the Garden, if you're in the balcony behind the goal, some seats are such that you can't see the part of the ribbon that shows the OOT scores - not that that's a huge deal, but I imagine it would be even more annoying come April. (Yeah, I know, phone. But it's much easier to just peek up at the whistle rather than fumble in my pocket.)

I was surprised that they didn't have the Patriots playoff game score displayed quasi-permanently - either on the HDX or on the ribbon.

I do have to say that the seats are pretty damn good at the Garden - the only obstructions are other humans who either lean forward excessively or decide they want a pretzel and they want it NOW - to hell with waiting for the whistle.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00