Rumor: Bruins and NHL rumors

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
please post them here and unless you are a recognized insider please attach a link to a reputable source.

Again, if you want to critique past deals or actions use the management thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We can use beyond trade rumors too.
Training camp invitees, rumored signings, rumored undrafted signings, etc....

But yeah I expect light traffic.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
sparce or not... this is a valuable thread and hopefully we can all respect it so that those people who do want legit rumors have a place to find them without wading through a lot of muck

as I scratch my head for the 'legit' rumors ive stumbled across the past month the cubbard is almost bare.

most of us will have heard that rick nash is mulling over playing later in the year. the most credible sources have hinted that the two teams hes interested in are Columbus where he started his career and boston where he ended up last year.

there was rumor we were sniffing around out on the western conference with an eye on a dman. those rumors have gone totally silent and the team was never named. we do have a good working relationship with Vancouver though and they have 1 or 2 dmen that have been in the rumors from their end as available. ben hutton is the name most often brought up from Vancouver area... and boston has been linked in these talks. going back further, boston has been linked to edler. cap considerations and the john moore signing would tend to squelch the likelihood boston makes a move with Vancouver

the other team that was hotly rumored with us was the oilers. this mostly comes from their camp. Chiarelli has a history of liking his ex players. Edmonton is also in desperate need for a puck moving qb dman. they have nurse as a rfa and klefbom coming off a down injury plagued season. logically one of these 2 big cap hits would need to be moved if krug was coming in. I think there are still some sources in Edmonton that believe the oilers would love to get krug and might be kicking tires still. the question is, would boston ever deal with their former gm? personal politics tends to cast doubt on this idea as far as I am concerned.

other legit rumors that have been circling... there as some speculation we might have inquired about jeff skinner but given the cheap price he moved for and how we didn't save any cap room for him... I doubt our interest was that high at any point. of course we were famously heavily rumored to be in the final 2 teams for kovalchuk to sign with. he wanted the extra year LA was offering according to the insiders. We also got into the live interview round with john Tavares

we might not have landed either big fish... but it was exciting to see us in contention. ultimately we might be happy we missed out. those were 2 big ugly contracts those guys signed.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Poor kid...

The sens are a debacle. They still have a lot of talent especially young talent but it seems as if they have no real plan. Except to deal Karlsson but only if someone takes Ryan, which is just a head scratchier. If their trading Karlsson they should be trying to get the best return possible and not worry if a team is willing to take on Ryans contact. Its like their cutting their own throats slowly.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
When I first read the title, I didn't realize that the rumors and proposals thread had been split apart. I thought this was going to be an editorial on Bruins rumors in general. Say what you will about the management's competency, one thing that seems true is they are a tight lipped bunch. Have any publicized Bruins rumors actually come true in the Sweeney era?

Reactions: Strafer

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
When I first read the title, I didn't realize that the rumors and proposals thread had been split apart. I thought this was going to be an editorial on Bruins rumors in general. Say what you will about the management's competency, one thing that seems true is they are a tight lipped bunch. Have any publicized Bruins rumors actually come true in the Sweeney era?

Well, Sweeney hasn't actually been Mad Mike when it comes too making trades. I mean outside of draft-day and deadline week. Sweeney I believe has done zilch.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There shouldn’t be many trade rumors if Sweeney is committed to his plan of drafting and developing

They look exceptionally deep and long term answers will come from training camp and games in the Fall in Boston, Providence, and the OHL.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Not sure they were heavily publicised.

But since Sweeney took over, I had posted two things here that happened.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I cannot imagine a situation where I would be in favor of signing Rick Nash to a contract after the season has already started.

He looked exhausted/burnt out from injuries in the playoffs (minus his first one or two games). Looked tentative. I would have a hard time seeing how missing training camp and "resting" would restore his effectiveness. Maybe if he was 26, but he is well into his 30's.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Not sure they were heavily publicised.

But since Sweeney took over, I had posted two things here that happened.

I know you have been a bit upset at me in the past dom... but weren't you strongly hinting at nash as a target here at least 5-6 weeks before it happened? seems to me I remember reading that and being a bit skeptical because of the cap hit... clearly you were in on that if I remember right. you even shared a censored email where I think you had his name almost revealed? or am I imaging that?

I feel bad because I know you took some stuff I said the wrong way over the past few years and felt like I was maybe attacking you... but you definitely have my vote of confidence that you do have sources inside that do share more info with you than the typical media source might be privy too. when you speak I listen. I love when you share here. I make sure I read everything you post. thank you for whatever you feel comfortable sharing here.

Reactions: maxl7

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Well, Sweeney hasn't actually been Mad Mike when it comes too making trades. I mean outside of draft-day and deadline week. Sweeney I believe has done zilch.

lets look at sweeneys trades here for those wondering...

in june 2015 his first deal was the unheralded move of flipping soderberg's rights for a 6th pick

dougie Hamilton who wasn't going to be a resign here was dealt for a first and 2 seconds... probably not the return we would hope for...

then came what was a pretty damn good deal moving lucic who was going to leave as an ufa for a first round pick, colin miller, and martin jones who was quite an asset

martin jones was moved not only for a first... but got sean kuraly too and that's been ok

in july we parted with riley smith for jimmy hayes… hayes turned out to be nothing... but I would argue smith wouldn't have been resigned here at that high cap hit either. the move had an added bonus of moving marc Savard cap

2 minor trade deadline deals bringing in stempniak and liles in 2016... then 1 in 2017 for Stafford... 2 more in 2018 for holden/wingles…. moved Vatrano out..

and then of course the bigger deal for nash

its fair to say Sweeney hasn't been very active in the trade market. theres the 3 deals in his first summer where he dealt off a couple big ticket items for picks to clear some cap room... and then just nickle and dime trades at the deadline since then

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
This team is in good shape for another solid regular season. I still think Sweeney will add to the team come February in areas where it lacks. But for now they have the depth to deal with the injuries of a hard season and the capital to trade for a run later.

Looking some of the finalists the last few years, alot of them had that good mix of grit and skill. We have elite skill in Marchand,Bergeron,Pasta. We know guys will pay the price like Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, DeBrusk, Backes. Krejci's done it before, can he still?. It's cliche, but in my opinion, the more guys we have that willfully drive the net and are effective in the "dirty areas" the better. I'm not sure if Heinen, Donato, and Bjork have that, but that remains to be seen. Hope they do.

Last edited:

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I cannot imagine a situation where I would be in favor of signing Rick Nash to a contract after the season has already started.

He looked exhausted/burnt out from injuries in the playoffs (minus his first one or two games). Looked tentative. I would have a hard time seeing how missing training camp and "resting" would restore his effectiveness. Maybe if he was 26, but he is well into his 30's.
I believe the idea is to sign him later in the season when and if he is healed and he would be well rested. At that point, the Bruins would know if they even need him or if Nash would be a benefit for the remainder of the season and into the playoffs.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
lets look at sweeneys trades here for those wondering...

in june 2015 his first deal was the unheralded move of flipping soderberg's rights for a 6th pick

dougie Hamilton who wasn't going to be a resign here was dealt for a first and 2 seconds... probably not the return we would hope for...

then came what was a pretty damn good deal moving lucic who was going to leave as an ufa for a first round pick, colin miller, and martin jones who was quite an asset

martin jones was moved not only for a first... but got sean kuraly too and that's been ok

in july we parted with riley smith for jimmy hayes… hayes turned out to be nothing... but I would argue smith wouldn't have been resigned here at that high cap hit either. the move had an added bonus of moving marc Savard cap

2 minor trade deadline deals bringing in stempniak and liles in 2016... then 1 in 2017 for Stafford... 2 more in 2018 for holden/wingles…. moved Vatrano out..

and then of course the bigger deal for nash

its fair to say Sweeney hasn't been very active in the trade market. theres the 3 deals in his first summer where he dealt off a couple big ticket items for picks to clear some cap room... and then just nickle and dime trades at the deadline since then

I feel a lot of this maybe other GMs were trying to take advantage of Sweeneys newness to the GM position or perhaps the Jones deal may have hurt Sweeney after all he did get Jones from the Kings and then sent him to their divisional rival the sharks.

Maybe it is just the simple fact that he has a plan and he's hell bent on sticking to it no-matter what. Draft-Draft and Draft some more, build from within. Although I would hope and I am pretty sure that Sweeney is a little more open minded than that and will eventually make an impact trade when the right one is there to make. Sweeney is knowledgeable and smart and I am also pretty sure the other GMs aren't asking for Cedric Pare and the Cam Clarkes of the world. Sweeney to-date though has done a pretty good job as Gm for the Bruins and the future does look to be pretty bright:)

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

SO you don't think resting (and healing) is going to restore his effectiveness? What, do you think he's gonna forget how to hockey?

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad