Friedman: Bruins among teams "in" on Simmonds

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
From 31 thoughts:

2. I think the full market for Wayne Simmonds will be known once some of the Duchene/Panarin/Stone decisions are revealed. There are teams like Boston who are probably in for him no matter what, but others who will wait to see the entire picture.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'll take him ahead of standing pat but every time I watch that guy he makes a boneheaded defensive play.

Skip to 7:28 for one of the worst ones you'll ever see.

Reactions: hatcher

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'll take him ahead of standing pat but every time I watch that guy he makes a boneheaded defensive play.

Skip to 7:28 for one of the worst ones you'll ever see.

Well hopefully pairing him with Krejci and Debrusk would make up some of those deficiencies.

I think he'd be a good addition and wouldn't cost a TON to get him I would think.

Reactions: hatcher

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I doubt you guys get him without giving a 1st or good prospect

Lotta teams saying that about a lot of players:

Zuccarello
Ferland
Panarin
Dzingle
Stone
Nyquist
Brassard
Silverberg
Hayes
Schenn
Etc

Nevermind defense and goalies.

There's an oversupply of wingers this year and not that many 1st rounders to go around. There are going to be some disappointed fan bases.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

Zuccarello
Ferland
Panarin
Dzingle
Stone
Nyquist
Brassard
Silverberg
Hayes
Schenn
Etc

There's an oversupply of wingers this year and not that many 1st rounders to go around. There are going to be some disappointed fan bases.

I'd take Simmonds over most of the players that you listed. Then others such as Dzingel, Schenn, and possibly even Panarin not being traded.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Definitely a BOS type player and think it would be a good fit. Please out pay the Jets for him :nod:

Reactions: Whileee

The Burdened

May 1, 2017

Zuccarello
Ferland
Panarin
Dzingle
Stone
Nyquist
Brassard
Silverberg
Hayes
Schenn
Etc

true, but no question there is a GM out there who saw the impact Tom Wilson had in last year's playoffs and thinks getting a guy like Simmonds will give them that.

Whether Wayne actually gives them that is another story, but a GM will undoubtedly think they need a big body presence to help get their team over the hump.

There is a market for Simmonds because he brings things to the table no other rentals on that list brings (save for Ferland).

A GM will look at it as: what's more important? Taking a serious run at the Cup and getting a banger who can make a difference and potentially set a tone -or- a late 1st that may help us 5-years from now?

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I've wanted Simmonds on the Leafs going back to his LA Kings days, he was born in Toronto and he brings a level of physicality and grit we could use up front, I feel the asking price would be too much given we've already moved some prospects and a 1st for Muzzin. Could see the Bruins doing this though as a direct response to the Leafs trade.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Nash last year and potentially Simmonds this year, they are really trying to make a push.
Makes sense. Three of their core forwards, their starting goaltender, and one of their top 4 D are 30+. Bergeron has been impressively ageless, but I think they're on the back half of their current contention window, even with young guys like Pastrnak and McAvoy.

Reactions: Devonator

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
not for nothing but Simmonds has been pretty bad this year overall

1.21 ES points/60 which is like 200th in the league among forwards

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'd take Simmonds over most of the players that you listed. Then others such as Dzingel, Schenn, and possibly even Panarin not being traded.

I don't put him clearly ahead of anyone on that list. He's on par offensively and sub par defensively. He has 23 points with 1st PP time. He has 6 even strength assists in 50 games. I think he gets a late-2nd, no add. Obviously I could be wrong if a GM loves him but I'll definitely take the 'under' if someone thinks he's getting a 1st + a good prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad